Why don't guys text first?

I purposely didn't text my boyfriend all day yesterday and most of this morning to see if he would text me first! And guess what he never texted me and he wondered why I didn't text him yesterday he thought I was mad I was like no I was busy(that was a lie ) but I want to ask guys this question do you normally wait for your girlfriend to text you or do you text them if you don't text first why don't you do it?

it is a LDR by the way I don't get to see him much

Most Helpful Guy

• Most guys hate texting, especially "conversational" texting. That doesn't mean he doesn't like talking to you; he does. He just wants to do it face-to-face, and not with a stupid phone intermediary.

He got in this relationship to be with YOU, not with his phone.

And guys are different than girls in that, while he was almost certainly thinking about you yesterday, he doesn't feel the need to interrupt his day, and yours, to tell you whatever thought popped in his head. Instead, if he thought of something worth telling you, he'll save it for when you talk the next time, preferably in person. Unless it's an emergency or some other huge news, he can wait. Girls tend to want to share everything RIGHT NOW, while they're still feeling whatever they're feeling, but guys just don't work that way.

Again, this does NOT mean he doesn't like you or anything like that. He just wants to be able to see/hear/feel you when he talks to you, not sit and type on his phone.

Texting for most guys is goal-oriented: to get you a short, timely piece of information, or get such info from you. Guys don't like having CONVERSATIONS over text, and clearly, that's what you're looking for.

What Guys Said 5

• There's nothing I can say that MrOracle didn't already say about this except to try to condense it into a more abridged version: I don't do text "conversations." Texting is something I would only do if I needed to relay important information to you right now of a time-sensitive nature and for whatever reason one of us was not available to actually pick up the phone.

• Even in the case of an LDR it just wouldn't be my nature to text. I would want to do regular Skype calls with a webcam, but if I couldn't do that I wouldn't bother pursuing an LDR to begin with.

• Sorry but all I can say (as it pertains to me) is that the fact that the media being used is text nullifies anything you're saying. To me (and I know I'm not alone here) nothing said over text holds any value, even coming from someone I love. I would rather wait a week or longer to hear it from your voice than get a text from you right now.

• There's just something about the fact that it's in text form that makes it feel like it's not even coming from her. It's generic. Its .. text. If she's going to communicate with me it has to be HER. Something that makes me feel like I'm actually talking to her and not something or someone generic. That's why I place no value on anything said over text even when it comes from someone I love.

• Distant and papercut made valid points. In general, guys don't feel the need to communicate as frequently or for as long as most girls do. Most girls, especially in your age group, prefer chit chat for the sake of chit chat. He probably figures, if nothing is wrong, no point in texting/calling all the time. Also, guys that text/call/hang out too much get labeled needy, which girls find suffocating.

• They want to know that the girl enjoys talking to them enough to initiate it.

• We shouldn't have to be the one who is always initiating conversations. Now of course it shouldn't always be you butttt like Distant said, we want to see if you're as into us as we are, you

• Because we don't care as much really

What Girls Said 1

• I do notice the more romantic guys call in or text something sweet more often.