Too Good For Him/Her

Recently I started getting serious with this guy but everyone around me has been very surprised I'm dating him. I've gotten things like "he's not good enough for you" and even "wow why is she with him". I'm baffled by this because although he is a big departure from the guys I usually date I think he's great. I know relationships are only about the parties involved and the opinion of outsiders doesn't count but I can't help but think I might be missing something. Have any of you guys/gals gone through the same thing? If so how do you stop it from affecting or influencing your opinion of that person?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are a happy with this person and he loves you...what are you missing? It sounds like you are in fact letting people's opinions affect you. Genuine, and pure love doesn't come around everyday. Let how he treats you determine how you choose to proceed

What Guys Said 1

• I've had the opposite happen to me. I was dating a girl for 5 months and the whole time her friends were filling her with the idea that I was too good for her (some friends right?).. My advice is don't listen to them.. Trust what you feel. Might bite you in the ass but what if you listen to your friends and they turn out to be wrong?

What Girls Said 1

• I've had a friend tell me she thought the guy I was dating was gay, when it turned out she just really liked him and wanted to make her own move. I really just ignored her because he was a great (straight!) guy.

That being said, sometimes people are saying things for a good reason. So if it's a good friend, I know it's not easy, but listen to why they're saying what they're saying (are they jealous or is it valid). Don't just ignore what he/she says, and get to know the guy and make your own decisions.