How long did/would you date before marriage (including engagement)?

If you HAVE been married before- how long did you date (including engagement) each other before you were married?

If you have NEVER been married-how long would you consider dating before marriage?

*actually dating the person, not just knowing them*

• Less than 6 months
  • 6-18 months
  • 18 months-5yrs
  • 5-10 yrs
  • 10 years or more

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd give it a couple years at least. It takes a few years to solidify really permanent friendships, romantic relationships should take at least that long. I'd also want to have an idea of career-housing-etc aspect would work out, which can take time to sort as well.

What Guys Said 8

• Like I said on another answer before, it's difficult to pin numbers and figures, on romantic / sexual attraction.

I say, for the sake of the poll, 18 months to 5 years. Simply because, I can't imagine getting married before 18months, or waiting more than 5 years.

If I like her that much, and circumstances for both of us are good, I'm putting a ring on it before five years! :)

• Probably between 2-3 years. And that would include at least a year of living together first.

• A:

but I knew her a long time before this "reunion" as friends ...

• it should be quite a few years tbh. And should at least live together for a year or two before being married too.

• I would say 3 years at minimum and 5 years at max to consider marrying her.

• at least one year.

• At least 3 years.

• We were together a year or so and then got married, and one year later had a son.

What Girls Said 13

• At this point, I would like to wait 3 to 5 years. If I am still unmarried by a certain age I might consider waiting more like 2 years, but I would never marry someone sooner than that. I don't think you can know a person fully until you've been around them for a couple of years.

• 3 or 4 years seems about right to me. If it's earlier I might not be ready and if it's later I would start to wonder if the guy wants to marry me at all.

• Dating a year

A few months of engagement

Marriage

C

*never been married*

• I've never been married though I think 3 to 5 years is enough for one to gauge whether they want to be with someone for the rest of their life or not.

• At least a year and a half of being in a relationship. I would ideally like it to be around 2 or 3 years but if we're already comfortable with one another and love each other and ready to take it to the next step, why not?

• I don't know. I guess whenever it feels right.

My best friend has been dating her boyfriend for 9 years and they say they want to get married. She says she's "engaged" because he asked her to marry her or so she says and that was three years ago. Every year, she says, "It's for real this time that we're gonna get married." But they don't plan for it at all. So I don't know.

• good time span is 2 years!

• Never been married but it would have to be at least a year of dating before I'd ideally like for him to propose

• at least a couple of yrs.

• 10 years and forever. We don't plan on getting married at all. What's the point? We already live with each other and neither of use wants kids. But if we did get married and wanted a divorce (his family is known for divorcing and we don't want to repeat that.) that would be expensive. While you're just in a relationship, you can just leave and it won't cost you any money or legal issues.

• At least a year before being engaged ... longer would be better.

• At this point in my life, at least 4 years. And I would want to be engaged for at least a year before marriage, but that would be included within the 4 years.

• A year and a half total for everything.