Can you date someone outside of your religion?

And if you're an atheist can you date a theist? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a very good question : ) Honestly, I've never really thought about religion, when it

comes to dating. I just always kinda figured, I'd date who I date, religion never even crossed

my mind. So, yes I could date someone of different religion or even date someone who's a

atheist. Like I always tell my mom, I'm not gonna pass up the potential love of my life, just

because we're different religions or not religious at all. If it works, it works and there's this

beautiful thing called COMPROMISE! Which is a important aspect of relationships in general.

So, though it would be ideal for him to be Catholic, like me. If he's not, it's no big deal. I

won't change him and his beliefs, if he doesn't change mine and should we happen to get

married and have children. We can explain, both sides to the kids and rasie them with the

knowledge of each and then when they get old enough, they can decide what religion or

non-religion they want to be.

I don't delute myself into thinking it would be easy to be different religions or for him to not

be religious at all, I'm sure there's times it would be more diffcult then others. However, I'm

not gonna ever close my heart off to love, no matter how hard it may seem, it's worth the effort!

What Girls Said 11

• Well it's very much possible but I think it can create conflict especially if one partners religion is extremely important to them. Problems will arise at some point. I wouldn't be able to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't believe in a higher power. I do and it would be frustarting for me to be with someone who doeson't share the same view.

• Generally religion shouldn't matter. But it does because many of those with a religion as well as those without one have a habit of pushing their religion or non believes onto their partner . Many religions have already-set ways to live, to raise children, to do anything at all. Which can conflict with those who don't have a religion simply because they don't have anyone tell them what to do, and likes it that way.

If an atheist and for example a Muslim would be able to work together. But of them must not be blinded by their own ways. They need to cooperate, and have agreements. The Muslim has to give up some of the set-ways and the atheist must give in to some of the ways of the Muslim. That way to different people, with different backgrounds can live happily together.

• Date yes,marry no...I don't have anything against other religions but I just feel comfortable being with someone with the same religion...

• As long as they were respectful of my religion or beliefs, then I could be with anyone no matter what theirs was.

Well I guess I couldn't handle a devil worshipper, that would creep me out haha

• I would not have a problem, but it would come down to whether they could respect me equally for not believing...seeing as how a lot of religions as a rule look down if not pit themselves against non believers.

• Yes. But probably not a Muslim. NOT that I have something against them, but my dad has. :)

• Yup,done it before-nothing wrong with it.

• I'm Catholic and my boyfriend is 100% Atheist. We have no issues.

• I couldn't date an Atheist, Muslim or religion obsessed guy.

• for some people it would be against their religion to date a non believer. They would feel like its their personal duty to help this person see the light of God and that wouldn't work in the long run. If I was really in love and he agreed not to try to change me it could work. I would even agree to raise our kids in his religion while their young. When you know its not real things like that don't matter, it would be like telling them about santa and the tooth fairy, eventually they'll figure it out if they want to.

• I guess I can... Lol. For the past 5 months, I've been dating a guy who is Sikh - and I am a Christian. Which are both so different from each other! But I guess it's not bad at all. At first I thought it would e really strange an that there might be many differences between us an the way we think etc... But I guess that just depends on each individual himself, not on the person's religion. Although, a person's religion does effect a persons way of thinking as well I must add!

What Guys Said 16

• I believe in all religions. I should get on fairly well with everybody.

For some people it's not possible, though. The more cultic churches of catholicism and the heavier sides of Islam, and most of Rabbinic Judaism certainly, you cannot marry outside your religion. Dating is sort of new, it's sort of newww and not really covered in the ancient texts, so there are vying schools of though but in the west there is this permeating notion that intimacy on a romantic level must proceed to marriage eventually, so it tends to apply to dating if it applies to marriage.

• I have no problem with a girl's religious values, so long as she has no problem with mine, and as long as she's scientifically-literate enough to not reject science in favor of religion. I'm not sure how much of that I could handle.

• I am an atheist, but I could see myself dating anybody from any religious demonination or otherwise. A lot of people seem to think that we wouldn't be able to gel correctly, but that all boils down to the open mindedness of the participating individuals in the relationship. People must understand that atheism isn't anti-theism, it is a view that looks at the claims made by religion and rejects them based off of lack of evidencel. True atheists don't claim to know that no God exists, rather, we look at the evidence brought before us in the universe and make the hypothesis that the existance of a God is very unlikely, but still open to debate and further discoveries. If someone I was dating believed in God, I'd be fine with that, its just a different viewpoint. I think you'd need to be very closed minded to not at least give someone a chance who didn't share the same views as you did, we all believe different things, and we all live on the same planet so we must co-exist peacefully.

• atheist - someone who disbelieves/ denies the existence of god

You mean you are agnostic if you are open to the idea of God but have a bias to not believing in God. To be atheist, logically doesn't make sense

• em no Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. We reject the claims made by religion and we don't believe in the existence of deities. Like I said before, with the evidence provided I come to the conclusion that the existence of a god is for me, highly highly unlikely. Does this mean a God doesn't exist? well I don't know all the answers for sure but I can use my logic and intellect to make a very educated guess, and I don't believe a god exists

• If someone could give me some solid evidence for God I'd be open to examine it and if it was proven to be true then I'd be a theist, but that isn't the case with religion. It's like everything in life, you can be pretty damn sure, but you never ever really know with absolute and unwavering certainty that something may be true. I think athiesm is a very logical viewpoint, in fact I think theism is pretty illogical contrary to what most believe.

• I'm an atheist so I could, but they couldn't be too into it or want to raise kids in it

• I couldn't date an atheist or Muslim but would be willing to date another type of Christian

• Date a theist? Why not?

The problems raise only when discussing the kid's education.

• I find it kind of disturbing most religious people who answered said they wouldn't date anyone from outside their religion, and then specifically named some religions and said they'd never date them. I mean really people? really? It's not like they're asking you to marry them, its just a date, I can't believe the level of narrow mindedness on here, its truly shocking and very distasteful.

• Yes except for 2. One definitely not & the other depends on a variety of circumstances.

• Yes I would. My wang is very tolerant of all religions.

• Of course, it's really not that big of a deal imo.

• I used to date a Christian girl, it wasn't that bad, just couldn't hang out on Sundays, everything else was good

• i could as long as they weren't too obsessed with their religion

• Yes, I'm Muslim but so long as she doesn't nag me if I want another wife or talk back then I wouldn't mind

• As long as she doesn't insist on going to church or constantly quotes her holy book of her given religion every day, or hate on me that I don't believe in organized religion, then I'd be OK with dating a theist.

• If a Christian, it's unwise to date someone who doesn't have the same convictions. He/she may still be friends though.

gotquestions.org/date-marry-unbeliever.html

• The bible isn't very tolerant IMHO: link more here: link

• In 1Corinthians:

link

9I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people

10I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world

11But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler not even to eat with such a one

• Saint Paul was very clear:

• depends which one... some are too different & the followers probably would have issue with me. athiest depends on how much they want to beat their chest about it