Did I blow it on the first date?

I went on a date to a diner today, since it was a first date we tried to arrange something super casual. I thought the date went great and was honestly surprised with how much I liked the guy. But I could not eat for some reason and asked for a box for my food when we were about to leave. We walked out, he walked me to my car, we talked for a little, he hugged me goodnight and said we will keep in touch. Now to me this sounded good, until I read on several sites that bagging your food from a date is a huge no no. Apparently it shows you are not interested in someone (because holding a box prevents you from going in for a full hug or kiss), you only came for free food, you are cheap, etc. I absolutely enjoyed my date and now feel awful, I don't want the guy to think I didn't like him. I always bag my food from restaurants, I can't stand seeing it go to waste, and also I felt bad not taking it after he already paid for it. Am I wrong here? Did I act like a cheap hobo? Please help! Do you think it was OK for me to do this? If not, how do I recover? Also, did him ending a date with the hug mean he is not really interested? I was kind of hoping for a kiss...

Most Helpful Guy

• I usually stick with coffee only on a first time meeting for the reasons you described. Dinner dates can be awkward and you don't want to risk talking with a mouth full of food.

The thing with the freeloaders that should put you at ease are that the real freeloaders don't really go for second dates because they know that the guy will start trying to get close to them. They're more likely to go from guy to guy on first dates only because they can get free dinners from guy to guy and the risk of them getting closer is much lower. There are some girls that do this on the online dating sites and it is really awful.

Ending with a hug was perfectly fine. He just might not want to come on too forward. You might want to show more interest with physical contact on a second date to let it go further. Lots of girls have gone on dinner dates where the guy wanted "one thing only" and expected it because he paid for dinner.

All this sounds like normal first date worries.

What Guys Said 8

• You're over-reading this. What matters is that you call him next and tell him you had a great time. Show some interest in him and if he's interested back, he'll let you know. Call him, tell him you had a great time and that you have an eye on a restaurant that you'd like to treat him to. Pay for his dinner next time and keep the flame alive.

• Did you blow it, in my limited opinion? No! I can never eat when I'm on a date, so I've resolved to only order light from now on. Last date I had where I loved it (granted, she friend-zoned me later, so she evidently didn't) we both bagged leftovers.

Really, when I'm on a date, and I don't have leftovers, it means she wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention. I just can never focus on my food long enough to eat much if I'm enjoying the date.

And ending on a kiss or hug all depends on you two. Some people love to kiss on the first date if it went well. Some guys would feel it awkward or hurried, too risky of being turned down. All relative to the people, really.

• nothing wrong here..your just being yourself..give it sometime he will definitely ask you out again relax..

• OR you could just put down the box and then hug him :D

• i'd definitely ask you out again - for humanitarian reasons, thinking you're so poor you can't afford a meal.

• I don't see it as a no-no at all. I'd actually be glad that she wasn't being wasteful.

• doesn't sound bad to me. you sound like a non-wasting girl, thumbs up

• Wow, asking for your food to be packed? Never even heard of that one on a date

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think there's anything wrong with what you did, I've never heard of it being a means of rejection and I've dated quite a lot in my lifetime. If you're worried, just explain the situation to him and if he's a nice guy I'm sure he'll understand. Good luck :)