Stuttering - A roadblock to effective communication & DATING (?)

I want to be frank because I don't see the need to be clandestine about it...I have been stammering since the age I don't exactly remember. As a child it was painful. Though now, I am not a chronic stutterer but it does make me nervous when I'm supposed to talk to someone 'especially' gals. I have managed to work on it and don't really stammer much when I speak in English. I also managed to ask a girl out on a movie date to which she agreed though its yet to happen..In fact two of my close female friends were surprised (that they barely noticed) when I confessed to them about my speech impediment. All I wanted to know was..have you come across a stutterer who has been in a relationship or would you date or like a guy/gal who you know suffers from the same predicament...

Most Helpful Girl

• I do stutter but I've never had a problem with guys. Plenty of guys do approach me/find me attractive.(not to sound cocky) The issues isn't the stuttering. The issue is who you are as a person...are nice? do pple find you attractive? Being a stutterer is just an excuse. And my stutter is bad but I do try to manage it.

• That's great I mean you manage to scrape through somehow, & I'm sure people nowadays are mature enough to understand that stuttering isn't something to be mocked at...so yes I hope people the person lays emphasis on me as a person that my problem...thanks :)

What Girls Said 5

• i think stutterring, specticles etc are really cute. I know it can be something to make people self conscious and wonder if they will accepted but its no reason not to dated a guy. specticles enhances a man's look and well to me I just think it makes them look all the more handsome and stuttering well I think its just adorable in its own way, but that's just me.

• I've come across someone with a stutterer and he's in a serious relationship and they seem happy together and I would date someone with a stutterer because that is not even major, as long as you have a nice personality, have respect for me and so on, it doesn't matter that you stammer.

• Hey thanks a lot... :) hope even my date turns out to be the same.. :)

• I was with someone who stuttered.

He only stuttered two or three times EVER when we were together. It made me want to wrap my arms around him, hug him tight, tell him it's okay/relax, and give him a kiss!

I used to feel bad because I know stuttering can be really hard for some people and it can make them feel very self concious. I'd still date the guy. I'd want to help him get over his nerves.

• You hit the nail on the correct spot, I am very self conscious because I have to control my thoughts, think about what I'm going to say and then proceed..& that feels so nice to read that you would give his impediment a pass and still date him...you women are beautiful beings ;)

• lool that awkward moment when someone on the internet is talking about you...

i really do stutter a lot especially when its one of those days when my confidence is 2 feet under but I feel freetobe007 close enough to not be nerveous around her and I guess that's what matter the most, how you act when the girl is around.

• Hey comeback,! bang on hun!...B-) ...I too don't give up so easily and I guess its the killer attitude that matters..provided we don't goof up big time!...cheers! :)

• I can date a man who stutters... But I think it's because I use to have that problem as a child. I would def' try to help him overcome the issue. :) I can play teacher and he'll be my student. ;) Get rid of the stutter and boost his confidence!

• As a stutterer myself, stuttering isn't usually someone can just overcome, especially if they're older. It can definitely be managed, but not overcome and stopped completely.

What Guys Said 1

• I dated a girl who stuttered once and thought it was hilarious. consider yourself lucky.