How to reply to "lol?"

In this age of text messages the form of communication has changed, but the communication has also changed. Have you ever been texting someone and got "lol" as a reply?

How are you supposed to answer that? Do you make a new subject or continue the old one? what if you don't have much else to say but don't want the conversation to die?

Most Helpful Girl

• I just got that response from a guy... although it annoyed me, I did not respond. I think it annoyed me because I had although just written one little sentence... I would have appreciated more than an LOL. Like, LOL yeah me too! or something! Just SOMETHING else! you know? Why is it going to be up to me to continue on the convo with someone who obviously isnt? If I respond LOL which I usually wouldnt... It would mean A. I have nothing else to say, or B. I think your retarted and I don't know what else to say. C. I don't want to totally ignore what you just said, so I am going to reply something. just so you shut up and leave me alone.

Maybe that isn't the case for guys... IDK. but that's how I feel when I respond LOL to someone. If I really wanted the convo to keep going. I would say LOL and blah blah blah.

What Girls Said 7

• Do whatever you want. If you want o start a new convo, go for it, if you want to keep talking about previous subject go for it.

Conversation is not perfect - people are constantly rambling, talking over each other, changing the subject etc. Not every conversation is destined to be amazing or funny. I'ts just socially engaging is all.

Sometimes it's better to just let the conversation die and pick up later when you two have more interesting things to talk about.

• Honestly if someone text me lol I wouldn't reply. If the wanted the conversation to continue they'd type more than just 3 letters. Texting doesn't require that much effort so if they couldn't be bothered then that's the end of that for me. But if you really don't want it to die then something along the lines of 'glad to entertain you;)'

• I just let the conversation die. Give her a little space. When I'm talking to a guy I like, I make sure to have something to say that he can respond to. If I use "LOL," then I'm ready to take a break.

• When someone just answers with a "LOL", I only reply with a smiley face :) or I don't reply at all.

• idk I guess it depends on who it is. Just talk about something else =P

• With another LOL.

• I would reply... "I know, funny huh".

What Guys Said 5

• I reply something like..."Yea.."...and then continue the same conversation or digress from the topic, saying.."So..what else"..OR..."So what about your..."..asking something related to that person's life...'lol'...'ok'...aren't exactly conversation killers are they are made out to be IF you KNOW how to communicate and carry on a conversation... :) :)...It's not a big issue dude..:)

• depends who it is and what your relationship with them is like, if it was me id most likely just the the convo die cause I don't like chatting over the phone.

• It always seemed more insulting too me. Like I was being laughed at. Are people really too lazy to put ha ha or something that we actually pronounce?

• be creative

or just don't message back!

• If you are a prick like me just respond with ...really?