How to respond to people you give dead-end responses when texting?

Some people, when texting, will often respond with answers that end the conversation or leave very little options for response. Such as "lol" "that's true" etc. Stuff that pretty much gives no other input into the conversation.

I know sometimes people respond like this when they aren't interested in the conversation, but I often get asked afterward why I didn't respond to the text. If they initiate texting conversations and seem to want to continue talking, but repeatedly give dead-end answers, how do you deal with this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Why 'deal' with it? Just don't respond to their dead end answers. IF they mean to shut down the conversation, they'll be glad you took the hint. If they didn't want to end it, they'll contact you again soon enough.

• I was feeling bad for just having texted something like "Rest well then", since I was clueless of what to text next and he didn't sound interested in continuing texting, but reading your answer made me feel better. If he wants, he can text me again.

• Hey, most helpful, right?

What Guys Said 8

• I'm going through a similar situation with people I know. My solution: Stop talking to them. I have been dealing with people who respond "lol" or (insert acronym here). I also have people who respond "Oooooo" (yea... that is their only response to things I explain over text messaging.. try figuring out a response to that).

You could try responding "CALL ME." But in this internet-addicted world you'll probably get no takers since people are so socially-incompetent these days.

• I answer like that pretty much all the time. It's not that I don't like talking to people... It's more because I don't know what more to say.

But if you really want to get some response, you could always write to the person telling "Your fathers kinda hawt. How old is he?"(seeing that you're a girl, I said father)

If this doesn't get you a response that will continue a rather funny conversation I don't know what will.

• Depends on if they're being aloof on purpose, which you can tell after a while if you talk often enough. I just leave them hanging and play along with their retarded game, if that's what they're doing. If I feel they really are that stupid I just go off and do something else and say I have to go. I would get the same from talking to animals than with someone like that, and maybe more.

• youre much better off just progressing things to phone conversations. text is bad for communication, a professor studied communication for over 30 years and found that it's 40% voice tone, 50% body language and only 10% words.. so go figure that texting is confusing and our negative self doubting minds will automatically misinterpret a lot fo things to be bad when they arent

• I come up with new topics for discussion that require the other person to respond with more in depth answers.

• I change the subject, usually. But I wouldn't want to talk to the person anyway if they repeatedly do this. It gets annoying after awhile.

• you don't

• nobody wants it to be a detachment but it is to text.

What Girls Said 3

• I usually just stop talking after they send a conversation ender. If they ask why, I just say "I thought we were out of stuff to talk about" or something.

• When I get dead-end responses I just figure out something new to talk about, or something closely related to the last conversation. If I ask someone what they're up to... And their dead-end answer would be nothing or anything like that.. I'd simply tell them what I am up to since that's the next natural step of the conversation. No reason to be angry at the other person just because they didn't ask you back.

• Not angry, just unsure how to respond. When you want to talk to them, and are struggling to make it natural. Not angry or annoyed at them, cause I know I do that too sometimes

• I can be a very random person... sometimes when my friends give answers like that, I'll change the subject to something totally off the wall like wanting to invent personalized car horn sounds, or that I saw a guy dressed as Spiderman dancing in a traffic median with a Little Caesars sign (happens more often than you'd think)

Sometimes, I'll send them a funny picture or say a funny line I'd heard that day.

And sometimes, I just don't respond at all.

I tend to play things by ear :-)