Is it more "socially acceptable" for a guy to date a younger girl

than a girl to date a younger guy? I just feel like there is bad view for girls that want to date a younger guy or are dating younger guys. I think this guy whose 18 is pretty cute and way more mature than any 18 year old I've talked to. (im 22). It's just feels weird because he seems so much younger than me, like he can't get into bars that I go to and stuff like that. So do you think its more acceptable for a guy or girl? or does it not even matter?

• More socially acceptable for a guy
  • More socially acceptable for a girl
  • Doesn't matter

Most Helpful Guy

• This is one problem people often make: always trying to be "social acceptable". Society doesn't pay your bills, nor does it wipe your ass so why should it be an issue? If you want it, go for it. Basically, no, it SHOULDN'T matter. It's up to you if it matters or not.

What Guys Said 4

• Perhaps a bit, but there's some justification for that.

Guys tend to mature more slowly than girls, starting from puberty and on through their mid-20s, typically. This has gotten more exaggerated over the last 30 or so years, as more people have gone to college, and grad school, and thus have delayed "growing up" and being responsible for themselves. 50 years ago, most men didn't graduate HS, and by 18 were moved out the the house, often already married, and were completely taking care of themselves and their families on their own.

Anyway, girls have always tended to go for guys a little older than they were, because during their teens, and now into their 20s, that tends to get them a guy who's maturity level is roughly equal to their own, despite the age difference. A girl who is 18 often needs a guy who is 20 or 21 to be at the same level of maturity. So a girl who is, say, dating a guy 2 years YOUNGER than she is will often be dating a guy whose maturity is 4-5 years less than hers. That's why it's so uncommon.

Now, there are always exceptions, but that doesn't make the generalization any less true. Thus, you'll get some push-back from society if you are with a younger guy, at least until he proves himself to be the exception to the rule.

• Ive recently been talking to a girl that's 24 & we seem click pretty well, I'm only 19 going in 20. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Age is just a number in most cases.

• true, I just wanted to see everyone's take on it

• Yeah, it's more accepted, but it shouldn't be. Hell, if you can find anyone that you click with, you should just go with it.

• You are crazy. It does not matter.

• i never said if I found it acceptable or not. I wanted to hear everyone's take on it.

What Girls Said 4

• It's probably more normal for an older guy and a younger girl to be dating, more socially acceptable, considering way back when women were married off as soon as they started their periods and men were much older (in some societies, at least).

But for the most part, people don't think much of it after they first find out. My mother is older than my father, I'm older than my boyfriend. Demi Moore was older than Ashton Kutcher and people came to accept that very quickly. It's maturity that matters in relationships, anyway, age is only a number but maturity is a person's true 'age'.

• yea I def think someones maturity level matters more than their age

• It doesn't matter. You love who you love (or like who you like in your case). Don't let anyone interfere with that

• i'm not I was just thinking, because people still do think its only okay for guys to date younger

• Let people think what they want. If they don't like it they can get over it

• yea

• I say F-society. Date who you want to date. So what if people don't like you dating them they're most likely just jealous that they don't have the balls to do it themselves. If you live your life for somebody else what's the point in living? Life is short. Don't miss out on doing something because you were afraid of what people might think.