Would you date someone with a kid?

There are some really nice guys and girls who have children who are interested in a relationship, was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

• Definitely
  • Possibly
  • Undecided
  • Unlikely
  • Hell No
So for me the deal breaker would not be the woman but that my own family would not accept her, even if she was a 10/10 and her kid was totally awesome. Unfortunately we don't live in a box, we have to answer to the important people in our lives, but this is my experience. If my family was accepting it would be an entirely different story.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm married with kids.

If I was dating, I think its most likely I could have a serious relationship with someone WITH kids. I love kids, don't want to make more, but wouldn't mind raising more. A woman who wants to have more kids, might be an issue. A woman who doesn't like kids - would be an issue (for serious relationship). So I'd be all over the single mothers.

Given what I know now, I absolutely think single people who are hesitant to do it are right not too.

I -love- kids, but they are a big deal and radically change life.

• before you had children, was your mentality the same? look at it from my perspective. hesitance, especially in uncharted territory, is not a wrong but a natural response

• I probably would have said 'I'd consider it'.

Now, ironically, I'm more attached to kids - but also understand how big a deal kids are.

What Girls Said 21

• no,

kind of for selfish reasons really... I've worked more than once as a nanny, and I know, you can give a kid all the love you can offer but you'll never mean the same to them as their real mum and dad, there's just a bond there that is a billion times stronger and unobtainable to anyone else, I don't want to pour my heart and soul into raising a kid who will always see me just as "the step mum"

then there's all the complicated practical stuff which can get really messy, like, is it your place to discipline them? how much of a parental role should you take on?

• I chose unlikely. I wouldn't rule a person with a kid out, but I'm only 18 so at my age his baby mama would probably get all jealous and try to kill me or something. Maybe when I'm older I'll be more okay with it but not now.

• u watch too much lifetime TV honey

• wow ... what a nightmare!

• It wasn't like, the worst part of the ghetto or anything. It was like half normal suburban kids and half ghetto kids. But they were always getting knocked up.

• I don't really picture myself with kids in my future. I find it highly unlikely that I would ever date someone with children. It's kind of a deal breaker.

He could be a really great guy, but I really am that opposed to children.

• gotcha, don't want to feed any more slaves to the system huh ? ;-)

• I'm not a nurturing, motherly kind of woman. I'd take in my niece and nephews if they needed it, but those are the only kids I've ever found tolerable ha ha it's just not a part of me

• Yes, has long has there was no baby mama drama on the other end I think I would be OK with it.

• No.. because if I grow to really love the kid and then something happens between the guy and me, I would still be attached to the kid and it wouldn't seem right to let them go like that. If I look after a kid, I really want to be the "mom figure" I suppose.

As it stands now, I'm not ready to be a mom any time soon, I want to finish school first and be able to support myself before I can support a kid.

• woud I? yes. everyone has baggage. do I prefer men without children? definitely.

• if I had kids yes but since I don't then no, but I have dogs so if he has dogs that would be great :)

• If I love him and he accepts me for who I am , why wouldn't I accept his kids ?

• Hell no. I can't f***ing stand kids. So much baggage.

• I used ally against this. It was my rule not to get involved with guys with kids. However, I am now seeing a guy who has 4 kids and I love it. He was my game changer and. it really just depends on the person.

• Probably not since I'm in high school.

• Yes as long as there is a healthy relationship with the mother (if there's one), I don't want to get in trouble or have to testify during a trial, I don't want to be a mother to the kid : I'll take care of it like it's a child I babysit not like my son/daughter.

• link

Here my question it similar he has two kids.

• at my age no, I'm 23, if I was older and finished my degree and working then maybe, but not in my current situation.

• Probably not. I'd probably love the kid more than the guy haha

• never! will not be a baby mama to a kid that's not mine

• Why not? Dads are hot

• Doubtful. That's just too complicated.

• Nope. Not so much because of the child itself, but what that means about the father. I want to marry a virgin and if he has a kid, he obviously isn't a virgin, now is he?

• Nopity nope.

• A lot of men my age or older (even younger) have had children, so to NOT date anyone with kids would limit the field in a big way.

I have dated 2 men with kids before... one man didn't have custody so his son didn't live with him. The other did have full custody of his 2 kids, so I met them and adored them.

Of course I'd date another man with kids in the future. I voted A.

I will say this, kids are good excuses to get out of things, and that power can be abused. That is something to watch out for.

• Would I prefer he not have children? Yes.

I don't have a checklist or anything for dating, I go by the individual situation.

So I won't NOT date a great guy just because he has kids.

What Guys Said 12

• I would, and I am.

@ Your update: If my family can't respect my decision, then they don't respect ME. And if my family doesn't respect ME, then they can go f*ck themselves long and hard with a complete set of Ginsu kitchen knives for all I care. You only "answer to" the people YOU choose to.

• i get you man but you have to respect your family too, if they are important to you

• Of course my family's important, but my happiness is more important. If if my family can't be happy that I'm happy, then they're putting their opinions over my desires, and a family who does something like that, is a worthless family, not worth my time or trouble.

• I would and have dated a woman with kids. The only problem is if she doesn't want any more, I want kids of my own and don't mind raising kids that I didn't create but I do want at least one child of my own and that tends to be a deal breaker if she already has kids and doesn't want anymore.

• It's highly unlikely. I would prefer a girl without children so I could impregnate her with my own if our relationship gets serious enough.

• Bummer. Luckily for me, my family is very open to the idea. And I do live life on my terms, so while I consider what family says to me, in the end, I make the decisions for my life.

• "So while I consider what family says to me, in the end, I make the decisions for my life."

I'm happy your family doesn't make you choose bro, otherwise you might have a different opinion. Think of things your family isn't open to and please don't tell me that hasn't colored your decisions to an extent.

• well, of course their upbringing has influenced me, not denying that. And the things they wouldn't be open to, like say joining AlQaeda, I would have no desire anyway.

Actually, they were initially against the idea of me dating foreign women. I said thanks but I just like foreign women, sorry.

• I put possibly. The requirements for this are:

1) no baby daddy drama

2) has to be able to find a sitter so we can go on a date without the kid (just her and I)

3) the kid has to be cool

I think I would actually prefer to date a girl with a kid. Girls my age seem to only be out to "have a good time". Not ready for a relationship, just want to party, and (in my experience) date guys they aren't interested in just for free movies/dinners/etc. Female friends of mine who have kids ave their head on straight and are actually serious about things. That is what I'm looking for.

25 and single BTW

• Very unlikely, but not impossible.

It's nothing against em, but I don't see a real deep relationship being able to built well when they have to put so much effort and focus on the child. New relationships take a lot of time and energy. But so does raising a child. That's why most shouldn't have a child until they're with someone they are truly comfortable and happy with and the relationship is at a good point. I mean, I didn't even mention other aspects of life that'll drain people of energy. I just can't see how someone can start a new relationship with all that.

• Hell fkn' no - even if she's a Miss Universe with awesome personality, no kids means no kids.

• loool good man, don't ever lead a woman on with kids my advice ... she will snap at you if you do

• I'm 21 years old. I'm not best able to care for a child. A single mom is looking for a man, at some point (probably within the next few years) who can be father figure. And I just don't think I'm ready for that. It wouldn't be fair for me or her. She would be best off with someone who is more able to accept that role.

• if she's like 9.9 & her kid isn't a complete snotty f*** you want to strangle then yes, I would.

• Probably not, only because I really don't care for kids much. I don't even want kids of my own.

• Hell yeah. Kids are "f_ck-trophies". That means she puts out.

• i say possibly just because I have an issue with raising another mans kids, and so far with dating women with kids I've only been used as a ride, an extra income, and a tool for making the baby daddy jealous. at 32 in the area I live in I don't have a choice but to date women with kids if I stay near my age...