Would you date a Vegan?

It seems really silly to ask but over the years I have sadly come to realize that very plain and simple females are shallow and materialistic (yes could be a generalization or just what I am used to unfortunately), and I realize most males are as well.

But would you date a vegan ? whether its a raw or cooked vegan.

I have made some health and lifestyle changes and its a choice mainly for health reasons but am also leaning towards the humane treatment of the animals involved and etc.

I realize what someone puts in their mouth doesn't define who they are but their personality, quirks, flaws etc. But since most if not close to all won't even talk to someone much less consider being with them for physical traits, or lack there of this is where my curiosity comes in regarding if you would date/pursue a relationship with a vegan.

This question is primarily for the ladies since I am straight, but guys would you date a female who was a vegan?

• Absolutely
  • No way
  • Maybe
  • Don't know
  • I am too close minded to even consider it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely! As long as he was being healthy. I'm an absolute HEALTH nut, and I know that a vegan diet can be really good for you, if you're doing it right. I personally couldn't be a vegan, because most of my staple foods are dairy. But with the exception of yogurt & cottage cheese, I try to eat clean. This caused a lot of problems in dating, because I have a problem going out to eat.

So as long as a vegan man was not criticizing my eating habits, I would not criticize his. In fact, I would applaud him and try out some vegan baking!

• A vegan diet can be amazing for you when done right, you can also be the most unhealthiest vegan too. If I remember I once heard Oreo's are vegan so what aths show ya lol.

What Girls Said 27

• I can't imagine anyone not dating someone over what they eat. Pretty much the only reasons I wouldn't date someone is if they have no sense of ethics and morals. Or if there is too great of an intellectual gap between us, it can be hard to be with someone when they don't understand what your saying and vise versa.

• I applaud you, totally separate from the vegan issue but I have come across entirely WAY too many shallow, and materialistic females and that's just for starters. So its great to know there are females out there looking for and are something of substance. :)

• I wouldn't, and it's honestly not because I'm closed minded or anything like that. My best friend is a vegetarian and so are her mom and younger sister and honestly it doesn't bother me in the slightest. They don't criticize me or judge me for eating meat, and I don't criticize them or judge them for not doing so, because what a person puts into their own body is no business but their own. I know other vegetarians like them who don't irritate me about being a meat eater and I'd be fine with a guy like that.

But many vegetarians and all the vegans I know are very condescending toward meat eaters. I had a vegetarian boyfriend once who would cringe and call me a murder whenever I would eat meat in front of him and he tried to get me to quit my job because I work at an almost exclusively meat-serving restaurant and I got off of work smelling like barbecue. It really pissed me off because he wouldn't stop nagging me about it. I'm going to eat meat no matter what people say and I don't want to deal with a guy who won't shut up about it.

• Yes, I am actually debating on whether I should go vegan or not (I love my seafood..) and dating a vegan would just help seal in that decision.I'm very open minded though so I'll date just about anyone (I draw the line at murderers.. I am not going to be an accomplice) so long as they are a good person. I really admire vegans though. I don't see how they go without eating all those beautiful fish, and crabs, and oysters.. I'm going to go find some shrimp now

• I'd actually love to date a vegan. I wish I had the willpower to be a vegan but I don't so I hugely admire anyone with that type of self control. Maybe you'd help me become one too and find the right food to stay healthy with a diet like that. Dude you're amazing.

• Willpower,cravings, self control all those things are actually explainable believe it or not. There are things going on in your body besides the brain that makes you want those things. I know it sounds weird but in my research this is what I have found. Your first step would be to detox 99% of people on a SAD should absolutely detox them self.

• Or not, lol. Well for starters the body will break itself down before it can build itself up again, just part of detox. Its normal so don't worry most will worry and panic though.

link there is a ton of info here, just about any health ailment is here, def worth checking out.

link if you decided to be a cooked vegan, here are some recipes to get you started

• I didn't vote because.

I'm not close minded at all. However, I could not date a vegan if he didn't tell me anything about what he eats...! Any type of meals! I'm more than happy to cook, but if it's a vegan who has never cooked for himself, I would struggle hugely to know what I'm cooking and if it's the correct way. I wouldn't want to accidentally cook something that would be against his diet.

Plus, and as a side point, if he tried to make me become like him, that would be difficult. I wouldn't change him, I would expect the same on his part.

So no, it has nothing to do with being close minded or ignorant, it's a simple fact I am a carnivore, I come from a family of them, I'm used to not thinking about what I cook with. I would expect him to help me learn and not force me into his ways.

• I would prefer dating a vegan so he could help me become one as well as long as he did not judge me too harshly if it took me a while to get there.

• No one is perfect it takes time, I am somewhat new on this road and I may accidentally have something that contains an animal based product and not realize it right away, it will take time if you really want to get there.

• Thanks for the encouragement!

• well I am vegan,so yeah.

• I view this like most things...As long as the person doesn't force their beliefs on you and is as accepting of you as you are of them then it should not be a problem.

• I'm a vegitarian . And I think vegans are hot lol

• I would, I'm usually close to being one myself anyway. As long as they aren't upset that I'm not fully vegan all the time.

• Its all about being open minded and accepting, easier said than done believe me. I try not to and don't preach to others at least that I am aware of unless its someone really close to me and am concerned for their health and well being that might be the only exception.

• I'm a vegetarian and I would defiantly date a vegan. The only problem would be that I love to cook...but it is very refreshing to find a male vegan because most people that don't eat meat seem to be women.

• Well there are 2 types raw or cooked. Raw is obviously better on so many levels. If you were dating a cooked vegan you wouldn't have any issues baking so I wouldn't worry about that. Yes I couldn't agree more there do seem to be more women than vegan men. It could be men are embarrassed or don't want to admit it because they think eating meat is macho and etc, which couldn't be further from the truth.

• Yea I just mean I like to bake lots of cheesy stuff and cakes and all that but I agree about male vegans being rare to find

• Absolutely :)

• As long as he won't push it over on me. I'm not a vegan, I love meat, but I will of course accept if he is.

• I would, but I'm also a vegetarian. I think its important to remember that there needs to be compromise in a realationship. You need to respect that they're probably going to continue eating meat, and they need to respect that you aren't going to. No one should be forcing beliefs on anyone else without belittling them. People do that too often and its very annoying.

Good luck finding someone who respects your beliefs!

• I don't see any problem ? as long as he don't expect me to become one as well but I'll respect vegan so if I'm dating one I will eat like one when I'm dating with him. But I will never be one cause I love various food :p

• As long as he/she would respect that I still want to eat meat then yes. It's his/her choice and I just have to respect that.

• Of course. As long as his eating habits and choice in what he decides to eat doesn't impact or have any effect on what I eat. He has to be able to respect what I decide to eat since I'm not a vegan myself.

• I don't have a problem with that. But they might have a problem with me. I do love a good hamburger every once in awhile.

• Yes I would, as long as he isn't a cannibal or eat anything odd I don't care what he eats

• Yes I would as long as he didn't push it on me .Cause I like to eat meat

• Sure

• Yes I would

• Probably not, because he would require me to become a vegan too and I don't know if I'm cut out for all the extra effort. This kind of lifestyle is really better when it's shared. There are lots of vegan chicks out there, though, probaby even more than male ones. I actually knew a married couple who were both vegans and potheads and they had an awesome marriage based on common lifestyle.

• Its kinda sad that everyone assumes anyone not into meat for whatever the reason is gonna turn them or a fear of turning them

• It's not really a fear ... and it's not really a big deal if you're just dating, but once you start living together and eating together every day on the same groceries, it becomes a bigger deal. Esp. as most females expect that she's the one who will be cooking.

• as long as he is a good guy... then why not?

• The real question is would a vegan date me. Because I am so in love with meat it isn't even funny. But I don't discriminate based on what people eat.

• yahoo my first down arrow. MEAT EATERS UNITE

• Dating or not dating a vegan has nothing to do with materialism...

I would, though it'd be a bit difficult because I cook and I'd have to restructure a lot of things. I dated a vegetarian once and I'd get things that I would eat without thinking and feel awful when I realized he can't. But there's no reason I would care as long as he wasn't pushing of a "holier than thou" attitude - which I have had in a guy before.

• When I mentioned materialism, I was referring to people having a closed mind etc only seeing people for what they have or can provide for someone rather than who they are as a person. And when people hear vegan its a put off to most if not close to all who don't or rather refuse to have an open mind and not just in regard to food choices.

• I would as long as they can accept that I'm not a vegan and never will be.

What Guys Said 10

• You seem to think it's a matter of being close-minded vs. open-minded. It's really not. Many people just wouldn't date a vegan because it'd be too inconvenient for their lifestyle to be dating someone who doesn't want to eat any meat or anything, and it could also possibly spark up arguments about it.

I myself wouldn't see too much wrong with dating a vegan as long as we could still eat very healthily and get enough nutrients. But many people just really like meat and see nothing wrong with it and couldn't really live without it (for whatever reason), and it's not that they're close-minded.

• No. I think it say's something about an individuals personality. Most vegans I've met were just trying to be "better" then the rest of the human race. Different, higher then others, ect... The two vegans I met were pretty condescending as well. Not to say every Vegan is like that.

You'd be healthier adding some other foods to your diet in all honesty. What the f*** do vegans eat anyway? shrubs and soy... Your not going to get a good balance of nutrition. Doesn't matter how you do it that's a fact.

I do respect your right to choose. Just my prefrence.

• to your second paragraph: link

and vegans (except hipster vegans) usually don't think they're better,it's just that non-vegans feel attacked just by knowing that others may be vegan so they go into the bitch-defence mode you went into in your answer.

• I am aware of that. Not broad enough for my diet and my taste. I have given them a try them though.

• There isn't even enough room on this thing to address your "better" comment. WOW

On the other hand you can just do fruits, veg etc and be raw, but you could also be a cooked vegan. believe it or not there is vegan meat, cheese, milk even pizza. If a vegan doesn't look healthy they obviously have something going on with them, and that's your opinion and your entitled to it. On a separate note while detoxing the body will break itself down before it can build itself back up, which means detoxing.

• No. I don't mind principles, in fact I encourage them, but, vegans are too extreme. They are up there with the Biblethumpers, Feminazi's and Gymcrazy Healthfreaks. All have obsessive personalities and will want to dictate how you and others should live their life. If you want to be a vegan, fine, but I am very, very pessimistic about the chances of me dating one.

I want someone that actually enjoys their life, not a martyr.

• I have seen some vegans all in your face about it, so I know what you mean and I know the reasoning behind it. But like most things I know some who aren't all in your face and extreme about it.

• I'm a vegitarian and would be vegan if it wasn't so tricky , but I ve had meet eating partners and cook it for them too. I just won't eat it. I have found the judgement mainly comes from the people that eat meat. They get defensive and say things like you just did. It's proberly just your own conscious

• Absolutely, I'll accept and respect her habit as long as she could accept mines.

ME: OMFG STEAK WOOOOOO! om nom nom nom nom om needs more sauce nom nom...

• No because vegans are very judgmental. If you don't believe me then look at your answer choices.

• That's like saying meat eaters are very judgmental about non meat eaters lol. And NOT all vegans are judgmental I know some believe it or not.

• 1 thumbs up to 4 thumbs down. Leaf eaters judge meat eaters 4-1! lol

• Entirely depends the kinda person they are. If they are someone that would look down on me for eating meat? No, f*** them. If they are going to constantly harp on me about the BULLSHIT logic of being a vegan? No. But if they are just one who prefers that style of diet and doesn't have a problem with mine (I don't only eat meat, but I like balanced amounts mixed together, tastes best) and doesn't bother me about it? Wouldn't have a problem so long as everything else about us works out too.

• hell naaah. they are insane with their "how can you eat somethig that used to breath?" f*** outta here. I need my meat and it has been proven that it leads to no good. vegan people don't get needed nutrients and vitamins and they often have some kinda cancer. just because you eat grass doesn't mean you are gonna live forever. you know who else eats grass? cows. do they live long? I don't think so.

• Nope... I'm a fairly tolerant person but I'm absolutely to the intolerant and those who come in your face with their bullsh*t message and can't mind their own damn business. If I wanted to eat meat I will eat meat, if I want my car to have leather seats I WILL have it in leather.

• my ex was a vegan and I had no problem with it as we both respected each others lifestyle choices and didn't try to push it on each other and one of my close friends who I occasionally live with is vegan and doesn't care I eat me, but it all depends on the person after all not everyone is the same

• Yea I would as long as I don't have to hear too much crap about how great it is.