Do's and Don'ts of cooking for a girl?

So I'm about to have my 3rd date with a girl. We've hit it off really well and it's obvious we're both into each other. So for the date I suggested she come to my place and I'd cook her dinner and what not. What do you think would be appropriate for a meal, and alternatively is there anything that I should avoid cooking, especially this early into a relationship?

Well, I was planning on Chicken Fajitas, maybe a rice and/or veggie side. Then I remembered she's a Spanish teacher, would a Mexican oriented supper be way too obvious? Also, what kind of wine goes good with this, I'm far from a wine guy myself, but I know she enjoys it.
For those who are still reading, I had the dinner last night. Made chicken fajitas with rice on the side. I'm actually not that great of a cook, and I admitted it, and she admitted she didn't know what she was doing either. So we cooked together and had a great time. The food turned out pretty good and I think the date overall went awesome. Thanks for the advice!

Most Helpful Girl

• Dry white German Riesling . As Mexican is spicy . I like I nice white penogresio is always nice. Chicken is always with white pretty much .You get what you pay for with wine so keep away from the cheepest bottles they are higher in solphides and cause head aches . With desert do a choc based thing but offor fruit salad as well.

Fajitas don't really need a side they are very filling . I would suggest how ever. A nice Italian style salad as it will be cooling with the spice.

Always have still water avalible with the wine. Most drink equal water to wine can reduce dehydration from the wine.

• Mexican sounds good And no you don't need to hold back from cooking anything eairly in a relationship , if you can go all out and be calm and collected I'm sure she will be impressed. Good luck

What Girls Said 18

• I don't think anythings off limits if it tastes good, but I would stay away from a few dishes only because since she's on a date, she'll want to look her best at all times and some dishes make it really difficult to look cute and might be a little too filling. In case anything goes down, the last thing she'll want to worry about is garlic breath and a pasta belly.

So, I say keep it light. Stay away from heavy garlicy or spicy foods...some people don't do well after wards.

Spaghetti not the best choice...messy..unless she makes the request.

I suggest you do something that you know how to do very well already. It might old news for you, but it's definitely new for her and you won't feel under pressure of wondering if it tastes right or not.

Definitely add a desert, you don't have to make it, but a deconstructed ice-cream sundae or easy to make brownies with ice-cream and drizzled caramel makes me do nasty things.

• First clear up dietary preferences and allergies you want to make sure you are on the same page first. Make dessert a head of time , you can never go wrong with chocolate . Pick a simple first course like a salad . Also keep it simple with the entree and do something you know she likes. Just remember your 3 components of a meal ; a protein , starch , veggies , and a sauce

• I'm a big fan of the guy taking the lead, but letting me help. If you guys cook something together, you can create memories and laugh. And for the item that you cook, I would use a recipe that is passed down in your family, or something that you're really good at cooking... especially if you're going to allow her to help, then she will be able to see your skills in the kitchen! Just make sure she likes the sound of the meal before you purchase all of the ingredients :)

And don't forget the wine!

• If she's not too picky about carbs and calories you should do something pretty standard like grilled chicken and fresh vegetables with some kinda potato, or even more general mac n cheese with hot dogs (can't go wrong there). Otherwise making a big home made salad with a bunch of greens is always good. I'm pretty sure she won't care what you're making if you're the one making it for her!

• Make sure you have a general idea of what she eats (ie. healthy, vegan, vegetarian etc) and make sure you're able to cook this as well! Do not try out new recipes unless she knows how to cook them too, then you can turn it into a cooking date! Don't forget to set the mood (or is that too cheesy) and good luck!

• You should ask her friends on what she likes, that is if you know your friends but if not just try to cook something that you think she will like. Always try for a good but simple meal.

• no, food is food. make sure she's not allergic to watever your making, & know her preferences; if she's vegetarian or likes to eat healthy. Also cooking foods relative to the season is always good. its a pretty intimate date, good luck.

• Do make it taste good. Don't cook something to which she is allergic. Ask her what she likes to eat.

• Cook something really delicious. Don't order fast food. It's really cute for a guy to cook for his girl :)

• Dont cook anything messy like burgers if you're not super comfortable around each other yet, I know i get unconfortable eating messy food in front of someone i like :)

• oo well done :)

• Nothing she's allergic to

• Don't cook in the microwave

• pasta!! You can never go wrong with pasta

• Was obi

• I wouldn't cook something with too much spices or marinara/spaghetti sauce. The sauce gets everywhere over our face and the spices (personally) make me paranoid that it'll get stuck in my teeth.

• Make sure you know what she eats. Like allergies or if she's vegan. Pay attention to what she has eaten at a restaurant.

• Make sure you know what she's allergic to

What kind of food she likes

Don't over do it but don't put something easy together.

Maybe you should make lasagna with garlic bread with red wine.

What Guys Said 7

• Do: Order Pizza.

Don't: Cook.

lol jks...

Dunno man, I'd just go with suggesting a specific meal to her and see how she reacts like: "Hey how does Baked salmon, Zucchini and White Wine sound on Friday evening?"

If she's like "oh yay!" then just cook the meal you said, if she's not, propose another type of meal.

It may be beneficial to get to know her preferences a bit first.

Also invite her beforehand so she can help you cook. If the meal isn't up to it's usual standards, you can blame it on her lolol

• Do you know what she generally likes? Italian food etc

Know what you can do and do it well, that way there won't be any mistakes. If you invited her to your place to cook something I think she'll expect you to actually cook something :-D so mac and cheese is out of the picture!

Look for great recipes on YouTube and stuff. I got my best breakfast recipe from watching Gordon Ramsey's videos etc.

Best of luck!

/M

PS: I don't think its a huge deal breaker if you manage to put something she's allergic to into the dish. Just tell her what's in the dish before she shoves it in her face ;-) if you have the extra time come think of stuff that people are usually allergic to and find a replacement you could quickly use. At least she'll see you put thoughts into the dish.

• one important thing I know is that make sure your using real ingredients; never cook her anything that is premade, boxed, etc. that just shows her that you are lazy, don't care about her, a like a loser that doesn't wanted spend any types of effort on her

• Pick up a Rachael Rae cookbook, and do a test run of what you are going to cook. Her 30 minute recipes are more like one hour due to prep time.

• It depends what she likes really BUT!

Desserts are going to win her heart,

link

F***ing delicious and romantic, And easy to make

• No Dessert? YOU LOSE

• We did have dessert, but I ran out of time to bake something myself. Ended up having brownies with Ice Cream, she loved it.

• Oh okay I thought you skipped it all together, Nice one bro!

• Whatever you choose, you need to ask her beforehand if she has any allergies you need to know of, or if there's anything she can't stand eating. Some people HATE seafood, for example.

If you're inviting her over to cook for her, then I assume you're relatively confident in your cooking ability. Now is not the time to experiment with new things. Cook something you know, and that you know tastes good, and that you're certain you're not going to screw up. If you can eliminate that as a concern, you can spend more time making it look pretty. That's not AS important as it tasting good, but it's definitely a nice bonus.

I shouldn't have to tell you to avoid cooking incredibly simple things or things that are prepackaged, but I'm going to. She's not going to be impressed with your ability to microwave a Stouffer's Lasagna. Make everything from scratch.

• @update: Excellent.