Whats your opinion on couples where one...?

what do you think of a couple where both are from different cultures and have different nationalities but one of them adopt their partners culture. Like when a white woman that dates an African man gets her hair braided, or a woman stops eating pork cause she dates a Muslim man or maybe one of them starts learning the other ones language eventhough they don't live in a country where the language is spoken. I just wanna know what you think of one morphing into the other and not what you think about people dating outside their "race" or nationality.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well its what marriage does to you lol.

Look at this for a moment, when your in a relationship, you can be with someone without having to change every now and then. You and your boyfriend/girlfriend are taking on a road that is guided and implemented. Its like practicing for the real thing, which is marriage.

Marriage, is the real thing. You are taking on a road, that is unknown and is not guided. The road for marriage has tons of obstacles that requires you to change who you are. If you can't change, then it will be your downfall.

What Guys Said 6

• I personally believe that no one should change who they are to suit anyone, even someone that they care for. I wouldn't want someone doing it for me and I certainly won't be doing it for anyone. I feel like someone who is doing that is giving up part of themselves for a part of someone else when really that isn't what should be happening. But at the end of the day, it's their lives. They can do what makes them happy.

• I think it's too extreme, even from a marriage standpoint. Its okay to embrace some of your spouses cultural patterns, depending on what they are, but speaking from a dating/relationship standpoint, I just don't see the need.

• Idk I don't really care I guess. I can only say that I don't ever see myself 'morphing' for someone.

• I think it's cute.

• I think it's lame, and being weak. Means your personal beliefs never meant jack, pretty much.

• It's tragic to see a white person get their hair braided like that. Anyone that isn't black, really, and even then, I'm a little iffy on it.

Whatever floats their boat, I guess. I don't know why they would want to change themselves in instances like what they eat or what they'll wear. Learning the other person's language seems like a sweet gesture though.

• so you're saying no one can braid their hair hair, not even black people most of the time because that's an individual changing themself 'too much'?

• No, I'm saying that it looks like sh*t, especially on non black people.

What Girls Said 6

• how many things do couples take up from each other, even those with the same race, religion, etc? some people start cooking because their partner is a good cook...some people try sports/workout because of their partner...some simply explore new foods, friends, travel, etc... nobody dates themselves, so they're bound to take something from the other person...we're all full of gaps and we search for someone to fill those gaps.

it's not some slap in the face to your character, it's a building of your character. the people we love accept us for who we are, but they change us in all kinds of ways.

if I drop everything and become some mindless mole to suit my partner, that's crazy, but if I try something different or try and embrace something they do, understand, feel...that's fine.

and here's a crazy fact: white people braid their hair! :O lol

i'm sorry, but I had to say that.

i do know people who have done things like switched religions, sexual orientation, etc but, hey, whatever floats your boat. if that religion was introduced to you and it now appeals to you, and/or your partner must marry someone of that religion and you're willing, it's your prerogative. do you!

• ofcourse white people braid their hair, I meant rasta braids. I watched a documentry about older woman going to africa to mind young men, and these woman were close to 60 and had their blond hair braided like the African women. its not a pretty look for a white woman, especially not when she is around 60.

• It's totally okay for people to date outside their own culture/nationality. Like me, I'm a Canadian and dating a Serbian man. I've learned how to say some things in Serbian from him, but it's not my ultimate goal to learn the language or anything. I guess if we had children then they could learn all of that stuff as it would be part of their culture as well.

It's important for each person to keep their own cultural or ethnic identity, but also not be totally ignorant or dismissive of their partner's culture. But on the other hand, becoming totally engrossed in the other person's culture is not good either. There needs to be some sort of balance.

• true, I'm not saying dating someone from another culture or nationality is wrong, love makes the world go around. But I see a lot of women that change for their men but the men stay they same. Like a girl I knew met a turkish guy, she converted to islam and he was going to move to her and work in her country but all of a sudden he changed his mind so she moved to turkey, she started wearing head dresses and learned turkish and I feel she did all that and he didn't have to change anything about him

• I think its either a phase or one of them really doesn't like their own culture and they want to escape.bridging the gap is one thing, but completely adopting the other person's culture is different IMO.

• to each his own

• i know lots of couples from different nationalies...in most , girls are Muslim and guys are Cristian.. and they 're happy.. because they love each other too much and respect each other in every aspect. as a note ; also I felt in love with a guy from another culture and country,religion..but these have no effect on my decisions about him..every time I look him ,i see how much I happy to be near him..it's a sunny feeling:)

• and that's how it should be you shouldn't change for the other, cause that isn't really love if you feel that you have to change to fit in with that person or to be respected

• I don't really have a problem with it until one starts inflicting rituals/beliefs on the other person, or insisting their children goes in their direction.

There's nothing stopping two people from difference nationalities being a couple but take my brother and his wife. My brother is English through and through. She is Indian. They live in the UK. She insisted on an Indian wedding, among other things, and my brother was told it was tradition the man pays. My brother was pretty put out to pay for a wedding he didn't really want. I have a problem with people demanding things like that, but otherwise, it's fine, each to their own.