Is this being shallow?

Do you think having a dating preference is wrong or is it okay?

Why or why not?

There was some sort of article saying that people with dating types are shallow. Do you believe this is true

I believe that it is not shallow. Anyone who calls one shallow for having a type is just upset and is hurting from rejection

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't have to be, as long as you don't push it. I have certain values I live by and if a girl doesn't respect that, then it's not going to work. But things like hair and eye color can be shallow. I have let go of having a certain 'type' a long time ago, because I realized not every girl is how I think she is when I first see her. I noticed I was judging girls solely based on their looks the first time, but then when I actually got to know them better my opinion changed. They way someone dresses and looks has often little to do with their actual personality. But this is true for all people in general: appearance doesn't necessarily define personality.

So if you don't want to talk with someone because his/her hair is black, then it's shallow. Especially if you have you're 'type' completely predefined with all their characteristics. But if you select based on personality after dating the person, then it's not shallow because you're exploring the possibility if the two of you will work.

What Guys Said 6

• Nah, I think we should date anybody and everybody so nobody gets their feelings hurt.

Oh who am I kidding, that's PC crap haha. No, it's not shallow, you can't help who triggers your attraction, just happens. The only time it's bad is when you degrade and bash people who aren't your dating preferences. If you're not doing that, then you're not shallow.

• I think shallow is an entirely opinionated word. So to some, yes is it shallow whereas to others it's not. Personally I think it makes sense to have a dating preference. I mean really, who doesn't have one. It's more a matter of whether or not your going to employ it. I think it simply sets one up for unhappiness and displeasure if they date anyone and everyone just to not be "shallow".

• You like who, and what you like. There's no accounting for it, and there's no changing it. Don't ever let anybody tell you you should date people you don't want to just because they think you should. Who the heck are they to make decisions like that for other people?

I speak from experience. I've stretched my dating preferences before when somebody was almost everything that I wanted, but there were deal breaker aspects and I ignored them. I shouldn't have.

• Everyone shallow IMO. And I mean everyone. A lot of people just settle

Standards is another word for shallow but its a broader word than just talking Bout looks.

• No its called having standards and is totally okay.

• If it is supposed to be 'shallow' so is being straight 'shallow' as well.

The answer is a no. ANY kind of preferences are OK.

What Girls Said 1

• Is this being shallow?

It is to me as I highly doubt the preferences are about the person's inner being.

Do you think having a dating prefrence is wrong or is it okay?

I don't do 'right' or 'wrong' unless it involves harming children/animals. In my opinion it's normal and as long as it's attainable and produces healthy results I see no issue.

• What about cheating?

• @Robotic

If you mean if I think it's right/wrong. It's neither to me and the only label I put on cheating is illegal or legal considering the location.