Anyone have any I-successfully-got-back-with-my-ex stories?

it happens all the time in movies/tv (yes I understand TV and movies are fake) I was just wondering if it ever happens in real life. My ex and I dated for a year, then haven't dated for about a year, and I think I still have feelings for him. We've really reconnected lately and I feel closer to him now than I ever did when we were dating. I kind of want to say something but am trying to find the guts to do it haha

Most Helpful Girl

• It can happen yes. I was dating my now fiance when I was 18, he was 22. We dated for eight months, he was my first boyfriend, my first kiss, my first date and first sexual partner. We were deeply in love but for reasons I won't bore you with haha, we broke up. It was the worst time of my life! I've never felt pain like it at all, I was a complete mess. We were apart for a year with no contact at all. We'd said some awful things to each other as we were both very immature.

Three months after we broke up I started seeing someone else, I didn't realize at the time but oh my god he was a d***! We dated for nine months and we broke up. The whole relationship I couldn't stop thinking about my ex even though it'd been almost 2 years. I plucked up the corage without telling any of my family and friends and I added him again on Facebook. He accepted my friend request straight away and we started talking, he gave me his number after a few days and I text him mine. His first text was 'do you ever wonder what happened between us... I never stopped loving you'. I was so happy he still felt the same! We got back together and I was so scared to tell my family and friends as we had such a bad break up. Some of them were so happy as they knew how much I loved him, others were angry he'd hurt me again. But pretty much all of them apart from my mum said I was stupid, it wouldn't work and he'd break my heart. I KNEW deep down it'd work and I was right :)

We've been back together almost two years, we live together, we're engaged and now were trying for a baby. And we couldn't be happier. I'm so glad I didn't listen to anyone and although I was so scared of rejection, I went for it anyway. You don't want to spend your whole life wondering 'what if?'. Good luck!

• Thanks for sharing! I feel like my story is similar. we basically broke up because we didn't have a lot of time to be together, and I think something that has held me back is what my friends would think. my family would support me but my friends are harder to win over haha. I really hope that I can end up like you because no matter who else I date I can't stop thinking about this guy.

• "no matter who else I date I can't stop thinking about this guy" I was the same! You'll need to build up the courage and go for it, don't let him be the one that got away. Good luck! I hope you get your happy ending like mine :)

What Guys Said 4

• I've had stops and starts with my ex. A few times it felt like it was on track, but like one of the Anon's below said, it's only going to stick if the reason you broke up is completely gone... and, even then, if you both are in a place where getting back together sounds better than being single or with someone else.

In my case, we keep realizing that we don't understand each other the way we used to. We both changed, and at some point we wanted different things. I say go for it... but, always remember that you already broke up and went through that pain and that change in your life- don't let your expectations and hope put you in a situation where you have to relive that experience.

• I think it happens...but pretty hard for both parties to rekindle...usually when I see a couple get back together, it does not last...o.O

• Yep, that's my now-fiancee and me. Prior to me, she had dated several guys whom she had ended up being with for far longer than she should have (they weren't good guys and didn't treat her well, or they just weren't a good fit in the first place, but she was trying to give them a chance), so after that she had decided to be more pickier. She and I initially dated for two months, but I was going through a lot, having just started nursing school, so I was stressed and preoccupied, and she felt like I wasn't been affectionate enough or making her a priority. She broke up with me, despite the fact that both of us really had cared about each other. Her friends and family ended up telling her how stupid she was to break up with someone she cared for her over something like that, that she should have been more understanding and patient since I was starting something that was a brand new experience (if you ask anyone who has been, nursing school is stressful), and that she should have at least tried to talk to me about her feelings.

Anyway, she apologized to me, we talked about her concerns and mine, and we ended up getting back together just two weeks later. Fast-forward a year later, and things have been going great (school is still stressful, but we've made it work; however, how relationship has only gotten stronger), we're now engaged, and getting married next summer. So, yeah, success stories happen, but it just depends on the reason for the break-up and the effort the two people want to put into it.

• Thanks for sharing. That's awesome that you got back together so quickly. To be honest that was my gut reaction, I immediately felt like I made a mistake. But I tried to move on and see other people. I've been "moving on and seeing other people" for a year now, but it always comes back to him. he seems pretty affectionate toward me too. I share your experience of both of us being in stressful college programs, and me feeling neglected. circumstances have changed though, maybe it could work

• It's rare, but it can work. It really depends on the reason for the breakup.

I only know one couple that's broken up in the past and is still together today. They're married now, but their relationship is very, very rocky, and honestly, they'd probably be better apart.

What Girls Said 4

• Not for me. Either he left me for a good reason or I left him for a good reason. But my aunt had a success with that.

She was married to my uncle, it didn't go so well, and they divorced. She married someone else and moved away for a while. That marriage broke up, and she eventually got back together with my uncle. I think a major factor in the divorce was that he didn't think she shoudld be allowed to work, but she loved her job and wouldn't give it up to be a housewife.

Anyway, he's dead now. But they were great together the second time around.

• Yes, it can happen! I was with my boyfriend for a year and a half, were broken up for almost a year and got back together. I am less insecure and jealous and he is more loving and affectionate due to the fact that we changed in our time apart.

• Thanks for sharing! One of the biggest factors in my break up (which ended mutually, and on a friendly note) was that we were both in a really rough semester of undergrad. we didn't really have a whole lot of time to spend together, and I felt kind of neglected. now I feel like I'm more secure, like I don't need someone to be physically with me all the time to believe that they care for me.

• You're welcome. Yeah school can get in the way of a relationship because your focus is limited. I also felt neglected but realized how my behavior could have pushed him away (sometimes I got mad and cold, which made me shut down and not speak or get close to him emotionally and physically). That's very good to hear that you found self-love. Me too, all my life I felt like I needed someone's presence to feel good but realized how being alone doing what I love/makes me happy is a peaceful feeling.

• Basically the only way getting back with your ex can possibly work out is if the reason you broke up in the first place no longer exists.

• good point. I think that I can say that's true but we'd have to talk about it first

• I have one. We got in a huge fight and broke up. The fight was over maturity issues and personal flaws on both sides. We were apart, zero contact for six months and then started talking again. We were going to be just friends but then it kind of escalated back to the level it was before and then we decided to give it another run. That was a year ago and I'm not going to say it's been smooth sailing, but it's been certainly better than before. But my story is certainly the exception, not the rule.