Are speed dating or online dating for losers, or the desperate?

Typically I ask philosophical and opinionated questions, but this time around I'm actually looking for advice, preferably from people my age.

I'm a 24 year old school teacher. I recently moved to a new job and don't have a lot of means to meet people, especially girls. I've dated one girl since moving down here four months ago, but she ultimately ended up hurting me.

Since there's very few ways to meet new people, including dating prospects, I've considered joining online dating sites or even look into speed dating. My question: Do you think its socially acceptable for a 24 year old guy to be involved in speed dating or online dating? I'm typically the type to not care about what people think of me, but at the same time I don't wanna become socially strange I guess.

Also, has anyone tried this? Have you had good or bad experiences?

Most Helpful Girl

• Online dating isn't really a big deal.. I'm a hot normal 25 year old woman who does online dating (b/c I'm not the norm my online dating mailbox has over a thousand E-mails sent to it) but it's there for people who don't go to bars that much, work long hours, just moved and or just want to meet people outside their social circle.. Not such a big deal.. I've never tried speed dating but it seems like too much effort to meet a very small group of ppl.. I've met a few losers on online dating but I've also met some really cool guys too..

What Girls Said 1

• I think that it is absolutely acceptable to try various dating sites and even experience speed dating. I know a lot of people who found the love of their life online. Nowadays with our way of life almost everyone has at least one profile on one of the dating sites. I tried it and had a lot of fun. Of course there are different people and it takes time to find someone worth your time. But all in all you have nothing to lose. Even if you won't find your wife, you will meet amazing people. I am now trying free mobile dating app, which is lots of fun. I even have a link on my profile here, if you are interested.

What Guys Said 2

• Speed dating is great! When you meet someone at a speed dating event, you know for a fact that the other person is available and looking for a significant other.

• I wouldn't call myself a loser but I would keep those options in my back pocket, just in case there is nobody I know interested in a relationship. Think of it this way, if you are a loser you are one whether in general life, or when you turn up to speed dating. If the contrary is true then you have nothing to worry about.