Sex, Religion, Politics and Dating?

Would you refuse to marry or date someone that had religious political or sexual ideas that were completely opposite of your own?

If so, where would you draw the line?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well politics and religion have nothing to do with my dating, so her religion and political views would not impact my interest in her, of course it might not work the same for her though. As for sex, if her sexual ideas were completely opposite, she would be a lesbian which would make our dating impossible, but if you meant fetishes and such, then it would impact things, but depending on her fetishes on just how much. I mean I'm don't have much in the way of fetishes so if it seemed weird to me, I don't know how I would react.

• For me, it seems like a person's beliefs drive a lot of their behavior. I've run into liberals that think it's OK to TELL you they're going to borrow your truck as if they own it. I've run into conservatives that think it's fine to TELL you how you should live, and they get all kinds of pissy if you tell em to get stuffed. Both sides do. :-) I guess that's what I'm getting at. I'm a live and let live, respect other peoples' property kind of guy. not sure I'd like being with the opposite.

• True, that's all up to them on how they act, but I can take a lot in stride, so they can tell me what I should do or how I'm wrong and they can make pretty convincing arguments too, but I'm a stubborn bastard and as long as I am that, I won't be changing my way for anyone else, even if I was love with them. So I'm assuming that it's going to be them, who can't stand the difference rather than me who has the problem and breaks it off. But yeah, I'm sort of the same type of guy.

What Girls Said 3

• There's no clear cut line.

In essence - having different views is fine and yes I could marry and/or date someone with different views. But only to an extent. If it really effected our life together - or it was something I really, really, passionately disagreed with, I couldn't be a part of that relationship, no.

Example: I could marry a religious man; I could not become religious if he wanted me to.

• There's no clear cut line here for me. Case by case basis. I'd lean towards not dating people with views too different from mine, though.

• That's where I've been for years, until I dated a fundamentalist that wanted me to hide my lack of religion around her family to the extent of attending church with them. It was uncomfortable. Not sure I could date anyone that was too authoritarian either, whether they were on the left or on the right.

• yeah, I really really can't see any fundamentalist christian being the type of person I would want to date.

• Yes because I would possibly want to kill them. Sex wise I'm not exactly sure what you mean but as long as they aren't homophobic it's fine (my dad is gay), Politically they need to have an interest in politics, I don't care what they believe as long as we can have proper conversations about it. Religion is the biggest issue for me, I hate any form of religion (people can practice/ believe whatever they like but I can't and never will comprehend it) so if someone talks about being religious and is overly proud of it, it is a major turn off and deal breaker .Politics and my lack of religion are the only things I feel passionate about and if someone I would marry isn't I don't think I could stand them for very long.

What Guys Said 7

• First off, when it comes to religion, if the partner in question belongs to another religion than yours and he or she is still dating with you that definitely means that she's more or less secularized but not orthodox, at least.

It could be in similar way as with political views, though that is way easier to avoid than religion.

Sexual ideas, such as what turns you on and what doesn't turn you on is what I think is the least important aspect of a person.

I can understand to some degree if the partner in question is bisexual, but at the same time I can't. You can't be suspicious all the time about your partner if you're going to have a serious relationship with him or her.

As for preferences such as common differences in swallowing, anal sex etc. I don't think that it should be a deal breaker, I mean, both sides have to respect each others sexual preferences. As I have mentioned and not to force either one of them into doing something that they don't want to.

• Sexual Ideas - Although this would be the least important aspect id look for. To some degree I would prefer she has similar ideas

Religious - I would only marry someone who was of some belief in God. Preferably a Christian because its a bit irrational to all out reject that. Generally that person wouldn't be that deep of a thinker

• I'm open to discourse and polite disagreement.

I'd hope our sexual preferences were generally aligned and we could communicate well about them, same with our religious beliefs.

Politically, I would appreciate someone similar or apathetic about them.

But someone who was extremely convinced that I was wrong/stupid/ignorant about my votes and views, probably not. And I'm fine if politics isn't an interest of my partner, but I'd prefer their leanings be close to mine. I couldn't see myself with someone who took Fox News at face value, or who was really into tea party rallies and conspiracy theories.

• I don't imagine I would mesh in the first place with someone the complete opposite to me, so it wouldn't come to me refusing to marry them.

• So how much of a difference would you be able to tolerate?

• If they're intelligent and understand that there are differences, then I could get along with someone who has marginally different views than mine. You can tell from the get go if someone is tolerable or not, though.

• I don't mind a different religion. However, I will not date a girl that is strongly liberal. I am very passionate about the second amendment and if they don't support gun ownership then that's a deal breaker.

• I'd take em shooting and show em a good time at the range before writing em off, but a strong antigun position would be a problem for me. Shooting stuff and blowing stuff up is FUN! :-)

• Being pro-gun control doesn't necessarily mean anti-all guns. I've known plenty of "liberals" who hunt or carry for self defense but also support strong background checks, and some limits on gun sales/types. And sometimes not even limits on the types. One can be strongly liberal about many things and not oppose the 2nd Amendment.

• I don't agree with limits on gun sales/types of any kind or background checks.

I do agree that there are liberals that support the second amendment. However, most of them do not.

• I have a strict "NObama" dating policy. You cannot have: No job and live off the government, an Obama phone, or be so brainwashed into believing all his BS.

• That's kind of why I asked the question about politics. I don't think I could date someone who was a member of the Free Stuff Army. I'd lose respect for her intellect in thinking that handouts were really free, and at a personal level for thinking it's OK to steal like that and for being willing to be a kind of economic parasite. (Gonna lose some fans for this comment, aren't I?)

• I am glad to see there are forms of terrestrial intelligence here.

• It's funny people are brainwashed into thinking there's such a thing as an "Obamaphone." Yes, I know someone in a video called it that. But the phone program in question was around in the Reagan years and expanded under Clinton and Bush. Barack Obama created no new phone subsidies or entitlements - the phone program is funded by the carriers themselves. Not taxpayers.

• If I was in love with someone I could overlook the politcal ideas (I wouldn't like it). I would draw the line on religious beliefs. If we both have the same religious beliefs then we will both have the same refrence point making any issues that come up...easier to resolve. I'm not sure what you had in mind as far as sexual ideas