How do you know if "hanging out" means a date?

This is my problem lol... I NEVER pick up on when a guy is asking me for a date.

There's this guy I talked to in high school.. I haven't talked to him pretty much since I graduated two years ago. Last night, he messaged me on FB and said we haven't talked in forever, so we should hang out. So we made plans to go laser tagging once his Christmas break starts. As far as I know, no one else is coming. By the way, I'm 20 and he's 17 (yeah I know... but it's probably not even a date and furthermore he turns 18 next month).

Bah, I'll probably just go and see what happens. But I thought I'd ask. :P

Most Helpful Guy

• If there is mentioned a word "date" then it's a date, anything else is obscure and... undefined.

Too many guys don't have guts anymore to be clear about their intentions and I know that it pisses off girls a lot.

What Guys Said 3

• I highly highly highly doubt any 17 year old guy would bother asking a girl to hang out after not seeing her for 2 years unless he was interested. I would bet all the money I made this week on that.

• hey, I think you are just over thinking it. as in, he's probably not thinking it means a date unless he makes it clear he's into you in that kind of way. if you have to wonder and guess id say its more or less just hanging out like friends.. but at the same time, men and women hanging out is USUALLY with some sexual tension.. in most male female friendships, one of the two , or both is into the other one.. one statistic study showed that men usually think their girl "friends" are into them much more than is actually so. and in the same light the same study showed that women often do not think their guy friend is into them when he might actually be so.

• I think you can safely assume it's a date unless you're explicitly just friends.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeahhh, this guy from my work asked me to hang out sometime...I agreed and said, "yeah, you're cool...we could chill sometime." I guess he assumed it was a date and I figured this out when he was texting me asking what I look for in a relationship. I clearly told him that I wasn't looking for a relationship, but always cool new friends. He stated he knows we are hanging out as friends now and nothing more. If you like him as more than friends, just assume it is a date :P and if he tries to pay then you know. I would reckon he has some physical attraction to you at least. Have fun!

• do you usually date guys you are "cool" with for a while first?

• I'm not physically attracted to him, but he really is one of the coolest guys I work with.

• Just guessing but he's probably thinking there's no way you'd go on a date with him bec he's only 17 so he calls it 'hanging out' instead.

I bet next time it will be an official date :)