Could you date someone who differed politically from you?

If you were a conservative, could you date a liberal or vice versa?

Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• No 2 people have identical political opinions! You're always dealing with someone who has different ideas. And if they're from a different culture, like my Venezuelan in-laws, you look at life in a fundamentally different way from them.

It's not easy problem to solve and it can lead to a lot of painful experiences..but I've foud it is worth it to learn to see life from another philosophical pont of view.

What Girls Said 13

• There are two things in this world that people should not share when dating(unless it gets serious) and that is Religion and Politics. I have a great interest in politics for my age and I like to know what is going on with our Economy blah blah. Talking about Politics or even getting into the subject for a couple seconds can turn friends into enemies. Now to answer your question, would I date someone who differed politcally from me? Of course, but at the same time Its really none of my business to know what someone likes politically nor anybody elses to know what I like politically, but that is just my opinion. Everyone is different, you just have to be tolerant of other people's views and to respect it just like you would want someone to respect yours.

• btw because you might be curious of what I am and we probably will never date, so I am going to share with you that I am moderate but I lean a little bit more to the conservative side.

• psh, how do you know we'll never date? ;P

• I would say no. Usually political values also go along with moral values. If he differs from me morally, then I don't think I could date him. I guess it all depends if you mind just agreeing to disagree on moral or social issues. I don't ever want to be in a place where I felt like I couldn't talk to my boyfriend or husband about those things and get into an argument about it. In addition, if you have kids, what would you teach them? Would you just let them choose and not get either of your opinions involved or what? I just think it's too difficult. But this is a really interesting question :)

• I am usually fine with it. One caveat though the differences must based on logic and reason not religion.

• Depends how he holds his value.If he keeps it to his own and not trying to push it to me then I could.

• Extreme conservatives AND extreme liberals both turn me off.

If the person has views that differ from mine but can back it up with great reasons then it's possible I might start to sway towards their stance.

• Yes, I could. I don't lean toward either side so much that I wouldn't be able to find some common ground. Not to sound ignorant, but some of the major issues, I either don't completely understand both sides or am not to the point in my life where they directly affect me.

• I am NEVER dating a liberal. Liberals are stupid and want everything legalized.

• It depends but I don't think so.

• I wouldn't if they were really closed minded and conservative

• I would date someone who had different political views but not marry them because usually political views are also related to values and morals as well. For example I am a Republican but I am socially liberal except on the issue of abortion. For example I think that same sex marriage should be legal and that gay couples should be allowed to adopt children.

• I'm an Anarcho-Capitalist and I've dated a guy that claimed to be Communist, polar opposite of me, haha! It didn't really "get in the way", we would have debates about it sometimes, but that's it.

Will I spend the rest of my life with someone that feels THAT differently? Probably not, haha!

• how was the sex though? ;P

• Thanks, that was pretty interesting!

• Anytime :-)

It'll never happen, but it is how I would prefer things, haha!

• No.I don't want a guy who disagree with me on hot button issues.we'd most likely have differing viewpoints on life, just wouldn't be compatible

• I could not, I am not a conservative. It would be in agony the whole time.

What Guys Said 5

• Yeah I'm an independent, so I can see both sides of the field. There would be many debates, but as long as we can tone it down and let it go, I don't see why we can't get along.

• Liberalism is the worst disease ever since the black plague of 1350. Therefore no I shall not date a liberal.

• I would rather just date a girl who was completely apolitical.

• Yes.

• Yeah. As long as they aren't douchey about their political views, it's not a big deal. A spat every now and then isn't going to be that bothersome.