Why would she compliment me if she doesn't want to date me?

She continues to do so despite not being willing to date me. There was an awkward phase for a while after the whole thing about dating and then after that she began complimenting me again.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can compliment someone without wanting to date them. She may only see you as a friend, but still wants to say something nice.

What Girls Said 4

• People do compliment others to be nice you know.

• yes, but she did it a lot before I asked her out and now she's doing it again. And it's not even general stuff, it's specific things.

• the bigger thing is that it's always unsolicited.

• insecure

• shy

• seems like she admires you but only as a friend.

• but how can she not see she's leading me on? Wouldn't the natural reaction be to shut yourself off and make sure nothing you say can be misconstrued as interest if you don't want to date him?

• no because she told you to your face she didn't want to date.

What Guys Said 2

• If you compliment a guy in any way (nice car, good job out there, you don't look like a toolbag today) doesn't mean you want their weasel meat in your ground hole does it? Same thing with women.

• no, but it's stuff like "you have a great sense of humor, it's just my type" and "if you weren't around, I'd miss you".

• "You have a great sense of humor, it's just my type" = we have the same sense of humor. We can both laugh at slaughter!

"If you weren't around, I'd miss you" = FRIEND ZONE

• yeah, I figured the friend zone thing. Weirdly, though, she said that miss you comment after we hadn't talked in five months. I smelled bullsh*t.

• Its just a compliment, nothing more.

• not just "a" compliment, but repeatedly on different occasions.

• Honestly I wouldn't think anything of it. I give compliments all the time, but it doesn't mean I want to date 75% of the girls at my school.