Do you get pressure to date only your own ethnicity?

Much of my Filipino family believes it's wrong that I had a Chinese and now an Irish boyfriend

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I understand; I had a Filipina girl friend way back when! And a threesome with two Filipina sisters not that far back! I'm sure their families never knew.

Myself, I always got disapproving glances for dating foreign girls, but I ignored it all; I'm married to a Venezuelan girl now!

What Guys Said 8

• I've been pressured and shamed by other black students because I've never dated a black girl before(only Hispanic girls). They think I'm being "uncle tom-like" -_- I'm not racist and I don't have racial preferences, I just happen to have only dated Hispanics I didn't even realize til recently.

• My family doesn't really care at all about the ethnicity of the girls I date.

They're more concerned about her character. They've always been very supportive in that regard.

The families of the girls, however, are ubiquitously opposed.

• Not so much. My mum would rather me date a girl of the same ethnicity as me but she knows in the end I would rather date girls who are not my ethnicity after all bad experiences I've had and that it's my decision in the end. Both my parents just want me to find a girl who is decent and has good character.

• my parents don't have a problem with it at all. but I'm mixed so yea. but I've had this issue so many time and great relationships had to stop because of that. its really sad but then again I understand where their parents are coming from. some people just wanna keep it pure.

• I guess it depends from family to family or what your friends are like or past experiences could contribute as well. I've dated girls belonging to varying ethnicity in the past and never got pressurized. There have been good times and bad, same as any other relationship I might have had with someone from my own race. Personally, I don't see anything "wrong" as long as I'm happy in that moment.

• They told me as long as I'm happy, they're happy.

Nothing wrong with diversity.

• Nope, no pressure to date people of my own ethnicity.

• Your 22 you can date who you want.

What Girls Said 15

• Yes, I received a lot of flack for dating my boyfriend who is half my race, and half another. I finally told my family they were small-minded jerks who needed to get over themselves, and surprisingly, they did get over it. They feel really bad for the things they said and have been very open ever since.

• Mine has also come to , grudgingly, accept my Venezuelan wife.

• Lol I don't think mine holds any grudges. It's just that nobody in the family had even gone on a date with someone outside our race before. Once they realized how much I liked this person and how they were being hurtful simply because I was breaking the trend, they let it go completely.

• idk my parents are weird and I don't know if they are serious about what they say,they constantly make fun of other races(They have the intelligence of 5 year olds/monkies sometimes) I think anyone who judges based on race these days has just about monkey intelligence "Ohhh ohh monkey with dark skin... baddd!" Anyways I love my parents but I'm not going to date based on their rigid beliefs , If anything it makes me want to go against their beliefs They are the same about gay couples, they won't stand up and actually say what they believe but they joke about it. My mom is a little more open minded but at the same time she is critical of any guy I date. I think this comes with every new generation, people used to be a lot more strict... My parent's are hippocrates if they judge who I date, my dad is Italian and my mom is white, his whole family was upset he married her. I am not even 100% sure what my ethnicity is because of my mom's side... I am attracted to all races, and I won't let my family control my life, but yea it does suck that they can't always be supportive.

• When I was younger, my parents kind of encouraged it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they pressured me to do so. They just thought that bi-racial or multi-racial kids have had it rough... I really don't think it's as bad now as when I was little. But now they just want me to be happy and find a nice guy.

• I think my parents would flip out if I dated a black guy.

I had a boyfriend who was Filipino once and his parents hate that he dates white girls.

Also, I'm part Armenian, which is pretty weird. Full Armenians are always shocked and kind of disgusted that we're mixed.

• I am a Chinese but I glad that I was never pressurized to date only my race. My family is pretty open with this matter. But I have many friends that are restricted by their family to date a certain race. Good luck girl! In love there is no right or wrong, trust your heart!

• My dad is against me dating in general XD

But even if he wasn't against it I think that he would want me to date someone from the same country and religion.

My mom is okay as long as he treats me good.

If I like someone and want to be with him, I'll be with him and my family will have to accept it.

It's your life,so it's your choice.

• No, not at all. I'm blessed with an incredibly open-minded, and mixed, family. My uncles and aunts, as well as cousins, etc, have all married/dated inter-racially, so it's just really not a big deal (my family is mostly Sri Lankan).

• I don't feel it but my friends do. I think though most of the pressure are from fobs.

• I'm biracial(Black & Hispanic) and my mom has told me not to date a dark skinned black guy or a black guy period because they're worthless

My dad has already told me to never let something as simple as race or religion get in the way

But my boyfriend is white...he wants me to meet his parents before they go on holiday and I'm thinking he will meet my mom

• No I don't, my parents said they just want me out of their house and married before 30 so I could give them grandchildren fast.

• My parents are divorced my dads half are racial jerks not him but the family he is married to a black/Mexican my dads family like to tell me lies about people ik aren't true but I grew up with and dated a lot of different races I personally think you should ignore them and date who YOU want

• Not really, I think my dad would like if I dated a black guy but I haven't and probably won't ever so too bad for him.

• No its rare to find my exact ethnicity in my area

• I do not. I pitty those who do. Love is love <3

• At some point in your life your goig to have to stop listening to what anyone says about it or you will be miserable worrying about what they think is right or wrong for you