Would you want to date somebody smarter than you?

I'm just curious. Personally, I don't care. Being smart/intelligent is ... I can't think of the word. Subjective? I think that's it. Intelligence is a good thing, and smart people tend to make smart babies, so I approve.

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Doesn't matter to me either way.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think being with a person who has an open mind, and is open to discussion, is important to me. I'm attracted to people with different types of intelligences, such as social intelligence, "street smarts", "book smarts", etc, and a combination of these is always ideal. As a university student, I love knowledge and discussion, and these are important qualities in someone that I date. A love of learning and a desire to understand the world makes a person interesting! But I don't need to know their IQ or test scores. Even if they had something different to bring to the table than I did, that would be wonderful. If I am a litterary critic dating a rocket scientist, we may both be intelligent, but we would have very different viewpoints and means by which to understand the world. However, if we can both have a good discussion and are interested in hearing what the other person has to say, than it would be wonderful!

What Girls Said 20

• I'm fine with it.. Usually the guy I date are smarter than me in a few ways, and I'm smarter or wiser than he is in other ways.. I've never dated a guy who was a better artist.. Than again I like men ha ha how many of them are incredible at drawing/ painting / interior design and are strait and my type? After years of art school and being in creative programs/ jobs I haven't met any! I tend to date guys who are more busnes minded.. It's almost imposible to find someone who is more skilled than you are in every way! We're complex and it's what keeps life interesting, we always can learn from each other

• I suppose I'd have to say yes since I can't handle someone less intelligent than I.

• No. Not at my age. My boyfriend is 27 and I'm 18. I like older guys, as I grow older I will be more open minded to dating younger guys though. When I'm 25 dating a 23 year old won't be a big deal. But at 18 I don't want to deal with high schoolers and 16 and 17 year olds. I've passed those ages thank god and I don't need to relive them vicariously through a boyfriend. No thank you!

• No,

i already had to suffer growing up with my genius twin brother who spent our childhood making me feel stupid for not knowing the scientific terms of the orchids in our living room.

it's difficult to have mutual respect if there's a significant difference in the intelligence of two people.

I just want to date my equal.

• I have a twin brother too and sometimes he makes me feel stupid when he starts explaining scientific things or how some technology works but I know that there are some things that I am better at and smarter.

• I would if he wasn't an arrogant a**hole who liked to point out the fact that he was smarter than me. I'm pretty freaking smart (145 IQ) but I have dated smarter guys, and they're always stuck up. I am definitely attracted to smart guys and I am fine with anyone with an IQ over 130. But if I ever hear the words, "I'm smarter than you," or "I'm always right," the relationship is over and done. I can't stand arrogance, even though I am arrogant.

• Yes. Either same level as me or smarter. I want to able to hold decent conversations that are more than just small talk.

• I don't mind...once they don't try to belittle me, and once they aren't arrogant and act like they know everything there is to know

• Yes.

Being really intelligent is a huge turn-on for me.

:)

• Absolutely would. In fact I prefer that.

• I'd want to date someone smarter than me, that way I can actually stress my intellect instead of everything being so easy. More challenge=more fun.

• As long as they are not an a**hole about it then why not. Maybe they can teach me a few things and help expand my brain so I would be as smart as they are someday.

• I wouldn't mind. I like guys who are smart but I wouldn't want him to put me down because he was smarter than me.

• Yes, but only if they're okay with dating someone who isn't as smart as they are.

• Yes, and yes! I would love to date someone intelligent and wise. For me IQ rate is not a sign of smartness.

• Yes, I can not date someone that is not intelligent.

• Of course that would make the relationship more challenging,more fun less boring :)

• Of course! Intelligence can be alluring! Not just for having babies XD

• All depend some people THINK they are smarter and that attitude is annoying.

• Yes I would

• Smarter, sure. As long as they aren't arrogant about it and don't try to make me look ignorant on purpose.

• Yeah unless he's arrogant.

What Guys Said 20

• i agree with the 1st comment. I wouldn't mind dating someone smarter and would probably enjoy it as long as they were cocky or an ass about it

• At moments my wife is a lot smarter than I am. On certain subjects I'm smarter.

our son is very smart but can still use a lesson from us.

• It doesn't matter to me if she's smarter then me. So long as she is in the same realm of intelligence then I think we'd get along fine. When there is too large of difference though, people kind of become intolerable. When I look at girls seriously for relationship purposes, intelligence is something that is a must have. In combination with being passionate about something in particular it's one of those things that really makes me smile. =)

• I would love it. I love learning from people in general. If I could learn something (doesn't necessarily have to be from the books) just anything from people's experiences or wisdom, I'm all ears.

• Hell yes. As far as she is not ridiculing me, I will consider myself incredibly lucky.

• I don't mind.

• of course I do! I don't wanna date a retard that would probably be capable of bringing catastrophe in my life and others

• I don't see the problem. Intelligence is a plus.

• I enjoy conversations with people whom can carry their end. So if I can find a girl whom is smarter than me, then I know she can teach me new things, and maybe I'll be as smart as her one day.

• Yep, doesn't bother me. I'm happy with my intellectual abilities as they are.

• Yeah, though I've never met one in my age group.

• It wouldn't matter to me. She might be a smartass from time to time, but I think I could deal with it. Being smart is better than being stupid, right?

• My ex was someone that thought she was smarter than me but, oh well. Another reason she is an ex because she was so conceited.

• I like smart girls so long as they aren't smart-asses and know-it-alls

• Welll... I'd be real hard to find someone smarter then me

• Yeah I definitely would

• No it would make me feel even dumber.

• Yes of course I would. I am smart and could not tolerate someone that is very stupid.

• Wow. Girls are willing to be the dumb one in the relationship according to the poll... Hypergamy?