I went on a date with a girl but I am wondering if I may become just a rebound?

I have known this girl for five years now, and after a while I realized that I might like her more than that. We've been really close friends and I don't want to ruin that. However I know, from others, that she has actually liked me for a long time but did not act on it because of her current relationship. Her last relationship became long, 3+ years, and they became comfortable and did not love each other anymore. The break up was mutual yet she brought it up in conversation. How do I tell if it is a rebound, and/ or how can I prevent it from being one.

What Girls Said 1

• i agree with samanouske...

over 3 years is a long time to be with someone..and unless they have had a rough relationship the whole time I would say this girl is nowhere near ready for another real relationship. there are still strong emotions there whether she says there is or not.

its okay for her to date, but I think its too soon for her to become fully invested in someone.

(believe me, I just came out of a 3.5 year relationship a month and a half ago)

she may act okay on the outside, but she's not on the inside.

take things VERY slow with this girl. don't expect anything out of your friendship right now.

What Guys Said 1

• You should not make anything official with her. Give her some time to forget about her last relationship and make sure she gets it out of her system. That means DO NOT get emotionally invested into her. If she was in a long relationship, there are very high chances of her going back, rethinking things over, etc. In the end you'll end up looking like an idiot.