Online dating worth it?

So I recently moved to a new city for a job. I don't know anyone who lives in this area and my coworkers are all 15 to 20 years older than me. I was thinking about trying online dating so I can hopefully meet some girls in my new area. What are your thoughts on online dating? Is it better to go free site or pay?

Most Helpful Guy

• I recently dove into online dating. I, like you, moved 4 months ago alone to a new city for a new job. All my co-workers are my age (24), but married. 7 of them met their husbands on Match.com

The one girl gave me a free 3 month subscription to Match. I originally declined because I thought it was for the desperate, but since I got a profile that's not the case at all. It is a good way to meet people. So far, I've met 2 girls. They haven't turned out to be dating material, but they have become good friends and we text daily. Right now, I'm talking to two others and one girl is a female version of me.

This is what I know: 7 of the 8 girls I've made initial contact with never responded to me. Why? Its a lot easier for girls to online date than guys. The girl I work with who met her husband on match got an average of 8-10 emails from different guys a day. Why? Because she was female. Also, to answer the last question, its better to pay for one. Its simple logic. People who pay $60 for 3 months are going to take it seriously...at least a lot more serious than the free ones.

My suggestion is try Match.com. There's a lot of misconceptions that I once had that really aren't true. Its not for the desperate, its just a way to put yourself out there and meet new people, and even maybe "the one." And if you don't meet "the one", maybe one of the girls you meet online will introduce you to her friends. The one girl I met, I'm also now friends with 2 of her friends.

BUT*** a few disclaimers here: First off, don't go in with high expectations. Meaning, don't expect to meet 27 girls and have them swarm around you. Second, don't expect it to happen overnight. If you're a girl, are you really willing to meet a guy you've only emailed 2 or 3 times? It takes time and some decent email conversation. Keep your expectations of online dating low and it works out a lot better. Finally, don't go on there looking for hookups. Its disrespectful and shows you're a lowlife.

Try it...what do you have to lose other than $60?

What Girls Said 1

• I met my ex on a paid dating site. Even thigh we are not together anymore, I have no regrets. I made a friend

What Guys Said 5

• Dating sites are awesome. I met my wife online and I have tons of friends who met their partners online. Just make sure you have a good GAMEPLAN (ie. get help with your profile, make sure you know what to say and not to say in messages, and above all, view it as an opportunity to have fun and meet new friends).

I recommend paid sites. Women on free sites tend to get so much spam (because its free to send) that it can make things more difficult to get noticed. Match and okcupid are good.

By the way, be sure to mention in your profile that you are new to town. There is a bunch of research showing that saying "new in town" will dramatically increase the number of dates you get (by like 4 times as much)... because, I guess, women are attracted to the idea of showing you around and helping you find your feet.

If you want any additional online dating advice, check out underdogdating dot com. Plenty of ideas, particularly for guys who are not super model good looking.

• That's up to you. There are way more guys the girls on there so you will have to lower your standards. But it is really easy to get dates so you shouldn't have a problem there.

• I very briefly tried online dating. I found it completely unnatural and fake. It seems that girls get a lot of attention from guys on there so even the average ones get a very skewed sense of self worth. And I think a lot of women use these sites as ego boost more than for dating.

The problem is all guys are courageous online compared to real life so girls get tons of messages. In real life only one in 10 of these guys have the balls to approach a girl so real life is much less skewed. Originally I thought using online dating would be time efficient and allow me to find someone very compatible with me. But I quickly realized it's like trying to find a needle in the haystack and I'd need to spend countless hours working at it. And even if I find her she might miss my message because of the other 100 random dudes contacting her that day.

I don't have problem dating in real life, so to me online dating is a bad investment.

• Dating site don't favor males, you could easily get caught up and have the feeling of being inadequate because women do not reply! Trust me, avoid dating sites!

• Just don't take it too seriously and you'll at least be entertained. Dating sites are full of flakes, spammers, and girls that have no intention of meeting a "regular guy" but only get on there to fish for compliments from chatroulette masturbators. In theory, the pay sites are better, but I don't know anyone in their early 20s that takes that seriously enough to pay. It's mostly older people that use those sites.