Why do good looking guys date less attractive girls?

You know the old cliche, really hot guys dating girls who are not on their level, who are much less attractive than they are.

Even my crush is doing the same, he's such a catch, he could have anyone yet he goes for very unattractive girls aka ugly!

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people have a general idea of what the opposite gender wants, but the lives of each individual is far from a generalization. Potential partners aren't lined up and ripe for picking so we can't spend our whole lives searching for "the one".

Proximity breeds attraction. As we go about our daily lives, we usually encounter that one person who isn't the complete package (if you had a choice, you'd pick someone else) but because we see this person often and get to know him or her well, he or she becomes more attractive in a less superficial sense. That's when most relationships take form.

• *are far from a generalization. I'm getting way too careless.

What Guys Said 12

• He might actually like the girl, she might have something called personality and not just hot looks.

Sometimes it can be because he has low-self-esteem to approach hot women also.

• Same reason Cute, fit girls are go for OBESE and FAT men, and leave me, a guy in great shape alone...

Whatever, the situation is annoying.

• avg looking girls are less trouble, and I've found the difference is often just how many trips to the salon they take and how much make-up they put on before going out

if you've ever seen those make-over shows you know how big a difference the right make-up and clothes can make for a girl

you can take an "ugly" white girl off the street that's not fat, get her an orange tan, highlights in her hair, some make-up and tight fitting clothes and all-of-a-sudden she's "hot"

what I'm saying is don't judge people so quick

• So why isn't your crush dating you? I'd love to answer here, but that would be me insinuating I'm hot. Pfft, I have the face only a mother could love!

• Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and girls who call other girls ugly and set beauty by "level" tend to be on very high horses that they shouldn't be on. Confidence is sexy, cockiness is extremely unappealing.

I would rather date the "ugly girl" who's charismatic and has a nice persona than the "pretty girl" who's gonna nag and talk down on people all the time. She becomes much prettier in my eyes.

• probably their game is not as high

• maybe he's tasting old seafood so that he can appreciate higher quality.

• Because high quality males don't need high quality females.

• Maybe the girls that you consider very unattractive or "ugly" are actually fairly attractive to him. As cliche as this sounds, I really believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The media has pretty much distorted what is considered "attractive" nowadays.

If the guy is really hot/attractive, chances are, he kind of knows it deep down so I doubt he'd 'settle' which kind of leads me to believe that the girl is attractive to him and has the qualities/personality traits that he's looking for.

• I know I'm a handsome guy; people tell me all the time. But I settle for average looking girls because I have self esteem issues and I am less likely to get anxious around them.

• Thats horrible. Do you tell them that? "hey I'm settling for you because I'm too anxious to be with the chicks I really like." why do guys think it's OK do treat "average" girls as things they "settle" for, as if they don't deserve actual respect or love because they're not " hot" to you. Seriously if you think you're condescending to go out with someone then don't.

• You females are seriously delusional.

• Well then they suck too. No one should be with someone if they view them as someone they've merely settled for, you're not doing them favors, no one wants to be settled for, you're denying them the dignityto be loved by someone who actually values them as an equal.

• I don't see that in real life but there are no set rules with anyone or anything. This is a subjective subject and you seem horribly shallow. one star

• These things are very subjective. What's attractive to one guy might be totally unattractive to another. Like, some girls here insist that all guys like petite girls. I, for one, am not at all attracted to girls that are skinny, short or have narrow hips. The girls your crush is dating may look great to him.

Also, guys generally go for the most attractive girl they think they can get.

• Agreed, it's all subjective. Not to mention it's about personality as well. If your attitude is like that all the time that makes you come off as pretty unattractive. Girls who have that attitude towards other girls (aka jealousy) generally get ignored. Your energies probably aren't very good. Try to stop judging and comparing every one and just accept that every one sees beauty differently. Also personality/common interests/what she can bring to the relationship are extremely important.

• Well said :)

What Girls Said 8

• I think the reasons why good looking guys date less attractive girls is because they have that bubbly personality, a good sense of humor, a positive attitude which makes them beautiful. Fact is I think good looking guys don't pay much attention to girls appearance as long she is pretty to his eyes and mind that's what matters she doesn't have to look to perfect. Sometimes girls that are good looking can be choosy, judgmental, boring and got bad attitude whereas no guys would want to go out with that girl and she would be stuck been single.

• It's his choice and he's the only one who can really say why he is. It's his business why he is and doesn't really have to explain himself for the people that he dates. You could only guess that he may like her, finds her attractive, or doesn't have a lot of confidence. Either way, as long as he's happy.

• link skip to 3:33. Perceptive beauty is more important.

Maybe her total package is what is appealing to him. the appeal of looks fade if you have a nasty personality. Maybe he's not superficial like you are

• Maybe he's the sort of person who goes for personality over looks. He might like girls who are sweet and girls who don't judge others as ugly. Being shallow, mean and negative are all uglier traits than an 'ugly' face...

• Nasty freaky sex and she buys him stuff/pays his bills

There is an off chance that he could actually like her.hot guys are capable of liking women who aren't hot.it happens

• The women may be less attractive to you in your eyes or anyone else's but just because he's dating her doesn't mean she's less attractive to him. Anyway who cares?

• He's probably insecure so he doesn't dare approaching the good-looking girls. You could probably steal without too much effort. Once he realizes he can do better, he'll dump her in a heartbeat, I can pretty much guarantee it.

• Why does it always seem like a such a big mystery that an attractive guy could possibly fall in love with someone less attractive than himself?

Maybe she's funnier, nicer, smarter than you.

Looks aren't everything.