Did you peck/kiss your parent(s) on the lips when you were a toddler/child?

Where I'm from this isn't common, my boyfriend said would kiss his daughters that if he had any, since it isn't common and I'm not used to hearing such things I feel kind of disturbed, I know the kiss isn't sexual but still I would never kiss my dad anywhere other than his cheeks.

I just wanted to see if world-widely this was common, it would make me feel less disturbed if it wasn't something to be disturbed by, however if it was something no one does, I might consider him a pedo, he likes children and especially little girls and he likes it if I were to act childish, I can overlook all these things and not think of him badly if at least this kissing thing was normal anywhere on this planet.

• Yes
  • No
I mean on the lips?
I still kiss my parents on the cheek, its the lips part I'm uncomfortable about, sorry I forgot to mention that

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not from the US and I didn't have the hugging and kissing type of parents but that was just how they were. I kiss my nieces and nephew on the lips. My fiance's family are the kissing and hugging type and he always kissed his mother on the lips, his father is actually his step-father and althoughttthey are close they don't have that type of relationship. But his sisters and one of his brothers (all step family) still hug and kiss him when saying goodbye and the youngest of them is 23. It can be a bit strange when its not something you're used to but I can tell you having a very open loving partner is refreshing and being surrounded by a family like his has been very good for me and made me a more openingly loving person

What Guys Said 20

• Yes, this seems completely normal to me here in the US. It has also been normal with my friends and their children. Kissing, hugging and touching take on different meanings in different cultures. It also changes over time. When I was younger friends rarely hugged, now it's much more common. Although it's more common in some parts of the US than others. (I've lived a lot of places)

I'd be curious how different cultures respond to this.

• I probably did with my mother when I was young, as I got older , it probably switched to cheeks & remained that way.

• i never kissed my parents on the lips, it was always being on the cheek. but I have seen a lot parent do it to their children, kissing on the lips. I never really thought anything of it. you only think it s weird because you being brought like that, so you would think that's normal.

but I don't kiss my mum anymore on the cheek, I am little old for it now. sometimes a just a big hug.

• nobody's ever to old for that ^_^

Recently I've been hugging and kissing my mom on the forehead a lot and she smiles so brightly when I do so..

• ((forgot to say: kissing on the forehead - I'm huge, she's really tiny and lovely; I feel like it is the right place to kiss someone as small and adorable as she is XD )

• your probably never too old to do it, if anything its just out of preference. I just don't feel comfortable kissing my mum now. Don't get me wrong I don't judge anyone that does do it ,no matter age they are. that's their business. as long as no one else pressures me into their beliefs, and I should do it. If you understand my point USaDaiten. I am not saying you said that either, just stating a point in the nicest way possible.

• Never, it would be really weird to me. In my culture kissing on the cheeks is very common though, it's the standard informal female to female and female to female greeting here.

A bit to the south it's even standard for informal male to male greeting.

• It's perfectly fine. I wouldn't do it, personally, but that's my preference. On the cheek would suit me better. What I do worry about is that you would think of your boyfriend as a pedophile for showing his affection like that. Making out and a peck on the lips are not the same, and as long as it isn't the former, he is a perfectly respectable man.

• I kissed my mother and father when I was younger. I can't see this being a big deal at all. He just wants to show his love for his children. No harm at all.

• As a young kid, yes. As I got older, no. At most on the cheek. Now it's just a hug.

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it when the kids are real young. I kissed my mom on the lips til I was about 8 or 9. Never my dad though, he said even when I was really young it just felt weird for him, and I feel the same way about my son, I only kiss him on the cheeks or his forehead. I don't think you need to worry at all though, be happy the guy is willing to show his children he loves them.

• Hell No. Cheek that's fine, not the freaking lips. I seen some dude kiss his aunt on the lips, and it was like f***ing gross...lol...I have no words..

• I'd did.

My toddler children kiss me on the lips. My pre-teen niece has been relegated to the cheek now, though.

Not sure when it becomes inappropriate, I think the child decides as they start to become aware of sexuality. While ever the child is innocent, so should the parent be. When the child starts needing privacy for toilet/baths etc then they are becoming aware and it needs to change.

• Yes, I did was a young child. But as I got older, kisses became less frequent and always on the cheek.

• Yes, I did, and my 12 year old son still kisses me before he goes to bed at night. I think it is a common thing in the U.S. I don't kiss my mother anymore, cheek or lips, but I do still hug her.

• I don't ever remember kissing my parents at all. Hugs sure, kisses no..

• I would probably kiss a daughter on the top of her head, forehead, or on a boohoo. That's about it. No cheek or lip kissing when it comes to kids. No kissing at all when it comes to male kids.

• No

• for me it was always on the cheek

• I kissed my parents on the lips

• it is fine some people do some don't I see it a lot its not that uncommon promise

• I wouldn't, but I know some parents who do and I can tell how they just simply love their young child and it's their way of showing kindness. You sound afraid and judgemental.

There are some things you should NEVER accuse someone of being without being darn sure you have ample evidence. You sound prone to just accuse someone of one of the sickest crime based on something ridiculously thin. You should seriously look at yourself in the mirror. Calumny, even when 100% wrong and baseless, is still incredibly damaging to someone.

Nowadays society is full of people judging others in a heartbeat yet screaming at others to be more understanding, generous and kinder toward them.

• Stfu idiot. I loved my grandpa and my grandma and they would peck my on the lips and I miss them and their affection. Do you even know what a pedophile is? You are an idiot. I don't like kissing a French man on his cheek but that is French. different customs for different people you judgmental ass.

• dude she comes from a different culture with different views on what is normal and just asking a question, she's not being judgmental

• Lol chill,it was wrong of her to think of him as a pedo that's for sure...but that's not the right way to prove your point

• Sick of judgmental cruel people.

• with my parents yes, but once my grandma slipped me the tongue.

What Girls Said 36

• I was very uncomfortable about the idea of kissing anyone but the person I would marry on the lips for a long time. My culture taught me that it was an intimate gesture, even holding hands was a big deal!

After having a child, I realized it's mutual yet not intimate and the kissing on the lips does stop at around 5 years old. It's very a flat or peck kiss when in contact. Hormones or sexual thoughts aren't provoked by it, kind of like wiping their butts after changing their diaper. Sure you could think it but by nature it's not arousing, easily dismissed, and the intention is stronger, I mean I got a diaper to change here.

It's only when real actions occur that deserves worrying and immediate action to protect the child. I doubt that it's easy to prevent or predict such omnious acts. Basically kissing on the lips with your own child is like getting rubbed on your elbows by a stranger. Go ahead, ask a stranger and try it ;)

• I can give you a Southern European vision of the thing, since I'm Portuguese (small country surrounded by the Atlantic Sea and Spain..), but please note: we're Latinos, not crazy sex.driven people who have orgies all the time, as people from other places may still think these days..

Here I've seen some kids kiss their parents on the lips, although I, personally, never did. It's nothing sexual, its a sign of affection on their part. It bothered me when I was a kid and wondered why other kids did that with their parents, when I had only seen my parents kiss other "old people" (they were divorced). Then I grew and saw it as what it was - no big deal, normal thing to do.

It's something common, you know, but it's still something common and totally normal if people don't do it.

It's up to the parents, really...

• I'm a mom and I kiss my children on the lips all the time. I have elementary aged to high school aged children - two boys and a girl.

In my family it's an expression of affection.

I find it a bit disturbing that you would pervert an innocent act because it doesn't reflect your own behavior. I understand your ignorance but not aligning it with something as deplorable as pedophilia. That's kind of messed up ...

• When I was really young yes. Around 9 or 10 it then went to a kiss on the cheek. The when I was 13 it was "ew gross go away" lol

• For me it was always the cheek. Some of my friends did/do the lips thing, but I have always found it to be gross and weird. I think maybe its because I didn't grow up doing it, I don't know but I'm good with how things are with me and when I have kids It will still be on the cheek.

• Don't be one of those girls who tells the guy what to do with his girls. You won't last long.

• As a child, probably until 6 or 7, I kissed my grandmother on the lips. I was a lot closer to her than my parents.

as a mother, my kids kissed me on the lips til they were about 6,7,8. My son thought it was funny at 8, so he would do it when we were playing around/tickling. I don't think it's weird at all, so long as it's not a forced thing.

it's kind of like hugs; some kids hug their parents their whole life, while other kids fell weird hugging their parents after they become teenagers.

• As a female, I kiss my infant son on his lips & on his cheeks. It was almost instinctive for me to want to kiss him, as the affection that I have for him takes over. I feel no shame in doing this, but believe it is an expression of love for him. I also give him nose kisses (nose-to-nose) & sometimes butterfly kisses. There are different forms of affection & greeting all around the world that you may not agree with, but that society thinks nothing wrong of it. You may feel uncomfortable because your parents were reserved in their affection for you. Some parents are more hands on, while others let a child raise themselves.

• if its a normal peck, that's fine . . . especially when your saying goodnight , or bye - also I think it can depend on the age , like it would be a bit weird if they are still kissing and she's over 13 years old .

here's a pic from google that doesn't look to bad:

link

- also, how did he bring it up ?

• Yes... I still do. It's not really that big of a deal where I live.

• Lol, well, hell no. When I was in daycare someone else's mother oh so inappropriately kissed ME on the lips :o and me being 5, I didn't think anything of it. So I tried it with my dad and he looked at me like "What the f***." he told me that little girls don't kiss grown men on the lips lol

• Yes, of course, I was a kid, and they were my PARENTS. I knew and still know a lot of people who do that. I don't see why it's disturbing except that people are paranoid at this point.

• Personally I didn't, but I noticed many of my friends. Up untill they turned about 6/7 though. I don't think it is a weird thing to do, just showing affection :)

• some people do and some people don't, it's just how your family does things. but that being said you shouldn't think of your boyfriend as a pedo because if that's how he was raised then that's normal, just like kissing on the cheek is whAT you think is normal

• Yup, and I still do.

• hmm i,m in 2 minds...i kissparents on cheekd but uncles and aunts tend to want a squeeze and lip kisses,feels totally wrong specially as i,m now in possesion of some small breasts and feeling there chests against mine freeks meout urggghjjj.. so I would say no to the whole lip kissing of family after age of 10 say ...?

• Yes

• at a certian age kids stop kissing their [arent of the opposite sex on the lips, just something that we grow out of.

im talking bout 5 and under, yes its normal to kiss on lips

• This is common where I come from This is just a normal thing and I still kiss my mother and my father on the cheeks there's nothing wrong with that

• When I was a little girl I used to kiss both my mom and my dad on the lips. All my sisters did the same. Now that we're older we kiss on the cheek. But my friend who is 16 years old still kisses her mom on the lips. I'm not so sure if she kisses her dad at all though

• Nope, I always kiss them on the cheek.

• The US is pretty much the only country that doesn't practice close contact. Everywhere else strangers hug and kiss. With that being said, Female 21 Co, still kiss my mom on the lips (she gets sad if its the forehead or cheek), can't remember the last time I kissed my dad on the cheek or lips... think it was round 8 or 10. just felt too uncomfortable.

• yes I kiss my parents on the lips when I was a child.

now I'm older I kiss them on both cheeks and their hands and hug them tight

i do the same thing with my child too. she is 5.

• No, I find that weird as hell o.o

• yes, when I was younger sometimes it was on the lips. NOTHING sexual though!

• Yes...I was little.

Eventually it progressed to the cheeks though

• No.

• No never on the lips.

• No, but one of my grandma's always kisses me on the lips, even as an adult. The fact that you're so worried he's a pedo kinda disturbs me, though. Also, I'm curious about why he's talking about kissing his potential daughters at all ...

• Yep I did kiss my mother and father a peck on the lips and hug nothing weird about it I don't think this stopped a like others just became kisses on the cheek

• More from Girls
    6