Interracial Dating (Black Girls)?

Ok I never dated out of my race but I would really like to ..I have a guy friend who is Hispanic I really like him but I don't think he see me as being his girlfriend he seems to be more into his race..And he always saying something about my hair...Like for instance he will say "Why do you always have braids in your hair"? It makes you look ghetto...I think I look OK with braids and not ghetto I mean I don't wear like purple, yellow ,green or any other crazy color just black are sometimes brown...And this other guy who is white asked me why I always wear wacky styles...I laughed along with it...But deep inside I felt my hair wasn't wacky..It was just individual braids...So question is... And any race can answer this question...What hair style looks attractive on a black girls like what kind of style besides braids...And what's the big deal with braids?..lol...Please leave a opinion Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• i looked at your pics, I like your hair! I think you look like an attractive, classy girl. as far as "wacky styles"...nothing in your pics look wacky to me. I see you're from LA...i went out there a couple times last summer, and I thought the average young white guys looked wacky, like they only shop at Pac-Sun, haha. nice Vans, bro...that sh*t went out in like '83, haha. apparently no one told the west coast that.

as far as interracial dating, it's 2013. my girlfriend is Puerto Rican, but I don't even think about it. usually I hear "interracial relationship", and I forget and then remember, "oh yeah...I'M in one." white guys are kind of a wild card...they generally either do or don't. I've been off white girls since 2004, and I don't regret it at all. hearing them complain about "first-world problems" gets real old, real fast. I'd never rule anyone out, but it's just a common personality trait I've noticed in a lot of white girls. I probably have dated more Latina girls than anything in my adult life..."the other white meat", haha. I have a couple black girls under my belt, but when I was growing up, I couldn't get the time of day from them. I lived in a mostly black neighborhood, and I was the one white kid. eminem wasn't around yet, so I got a lot of Vanilla Ice jokes, hahaha. I got a brief period of love in the early 90s when "Right Kind of Love" was all over the radio and MTV link , and I'd walk by a group of black girls at school or something and hear "ooh, girrrrrrrl...he look like Jeremy Jordan!" haha...it's true, we do kind of look alike. but that lasted like a month.

i was always kind of conditioned to think black girls only wanted black guys. lately it seems different though. when I was in LA I went to this place in Inglewood called Bertha's Soul Food (OUTSTANDING by the way). when I walked in the door, the only thing missing was the sound of the needle scratching off a record, hahaha. all the guys there were grilling me like "what the f*ck is HE doing here?" but then I walked up and ordered the fried chicken with greens, yams, and mac n' cheese, and I heard one of them say, "ok...he know what he doing." hahaha...pretty hilarious. anyway, I was just talking with the girl at the counter a bit, talking sh*t about Kobe and the Lakers, because I'm from Boston. but when I left, another girl ran out like 30 seconds after and was trying to get my number for the girl I was talking to. I had to decline because I have a girl, but in my mind I'm like "damn...the game done changed. thanks, Justin Timberlake!" hahaha. and this summer I walked past some black girls that were DEFINITELY hood, and I hear one go "DAMN! that's a FINE-ASS whiteboy right there." if a pale blond haired white kid is getting love from everyone, then anything is possible for you, haha. maybe it's different in LA, but in Boston I see all kinds of pairings. just keep doing you and you might find people are more open-minded than you think.

What Guys Said 16

• I'm fine with braids. They *can* look ghetto, but they can also look nice, and I'm sure you know the difference.

I'm Hispanic (at least, more than I'm anything else), and I've dated black girls in the past and I'd date them again in the future. I don't date ghetto girls of any color, but I have no problem with finding middle-class black girls attractive. Having said that, I grew up in a racially diverse middle class environment. If your guy grew up in an ethnic environment, he may have been taught that he should only date within his race. It may not have been said outright, but many ethnic populations don't like it when people of their group date outside their race.

In areas where people grew up in mixed groups, that's far less likely to be a problem.

• wow you have some fairly rude friends. you should frankly hope to find a guy who likes you for you;however, as a guy I personally don't love braids I think more and more guys dig a girls natural hair and then some styling of it. at least in my opinion hair extensions do nothing for guys.

• that said (glancing at your pics) you look very pretty braids or not

• i agree...and thanks:)

• Honestly, this is what I was thinking lol

They seem a bit rude

• I like the way your hair is now but this sort of hairstyle is possibly my favorite link

• ok I see...a more natural look...jus a little to poofy..but I can try it out ..lol

• Good luck! :)

• I am not trying to berate you, but to be honest, It is a bit "Ghetto" as it was put. Wearing braids like that inadvertently places you within a visual stereotype based upon other people's perception.

It is unfair to quantify a person on the basis of how they look. People don't realize that I am mentally at genius level, by just looking at me. They see a bearded roughneck truck driver these days. I just don't have a reason to shave. Who am I out to impress? I gave up on dating.

However, my point is, you wear braids, and if it is a person that truly don't know you, they will (in the back of their mind) think, "Hood", "Ghetto", and whatnot.

Unless you want to continue this charade of people labeling you upon first sight, you may want to change how others visually conceive you. Unless you just want the condescending statements of others to drive you to be as stereotyped against them, as they are seemingy toward you.

My best advice s to go natural, or otherwise... Unless you just want to be the item of desire of hood guys...

Perception is reality for most weak minded people. And people today are weak minded, I am afraid.

• So you are saying natural hairstyles are ghetto, such as twist outs, dreads, etc.? Women wear their hair in certain styles based on ethnicity/race. Like white women, for example can wear the big beautiful buns, because of the hair texture. Hairstyles are based on a certain ethnic groups hair texture. Its not a stereotype, you and the guys that told her it was ghetto are ignorant. How do you know so much about black women's hair to not be one? Do your research first.

• Ok I see what you are saying now.

• Oh, nice... Another over sensitive, non English comprehending dumb ass gave me another down rating... Go team!

• I actually find natural hair attractive on them... maybe because its rare that you even see it. Honestly I think most of them can pull off any look but braids, look good if not then straight I guess

• The link the guy posted below me is actually probably my favourite! that looks goood lol

More from Guys
11

What Girls Said 15

• He's a jerk and a mild closet racist.insulting your hairstyle and saying you look ghetto? Wow.

You probably need to quit trying to hang around people who think they're better than black people and look down on our culture. If you are gonna date outside your race you do not need to date that type of guy!

Why change what you like and who you are to impress someone like that? OK let's say you stopped wearing braids at his request.then you'd say/do/wear something else that he'd complain was too "ghetto" i.e. black.

You can't win with someone like that so don't even try to play their game.

Btw I am NOT saying every guy has to like braids or else he is a racist, but I can read between the lines and see the coded message he's trying to send.

• i agree. he may not even be racist but ignorant. but I certainly wouldn't consider someone who said that about my hair a friend

• If he is telling you it looks ghetto, he's kind of being a jerk. He could be racist or he could be one of those guys who is controlling about how a girl looks. Or maybe he will complain no matter how you do your hair. I'm sure you can find other guys who will like you the way you are and make you feel good about how you choose to look rather than putting it down.

• I think natural looks best that or either straight/curly. I don't like anything too over the top just simple. It's nice to do diff things for special occasions or to braid it/put it up but natural is usually always best. The only braid style I guess you could say that I don't like is when the whole head is cornrows Doesn't look feminine on women and isn't that great on most guys either. lol. But mi friend said it's easier to manage when it's growing out. ^_^

Anyways, some people don't like certain haircuts or styles on some people and maybe he was just thinking something else might look better. If you don't have a problem with it then don't change it. If you want to change it and see if you'd like it better then cool why not. If you wanna know if he likes you then you should ask. At least you would know and wouldn't have to wonder anymore. Hope it helps ^_^

• I love micro-braids! I love how black people can do so many different designs, styles, etc. However, I know it's not all roses and sunshine.

Just be you and someday someone will recognize how beautiful you truly are (braids/wacky hair styles and all).

Good luck and stay true to you!

• I just pray for the day when a black woman would be viewed on the quality of the person that she is rather than the type of hair style that she rocks. You really need better friends based on what you've just said. Do they really think that it's okay to class you as being ghetto just because you wear braids?

I've dated all types of guys and what I have found is that none of them really cares how you choose to wear your hair. Maybe my personality is so big its distracting guys from looking at my hair...lol. I'm natural and I usually wear my hair pinned up while at work. I've noticed I get more attention from guys when it its out or on the very few occasions that I've worn it straight (It's long so I get weave checked by a lot of black women...but that is another argument in itself.)

The question that you should be asking yourself is what hairstyles do YOU like and what hairstyles make YOU feel attractive. Whatever hairstyle you pick it should be worn with confidence. Because unless you feel good about you then what someone else thinks doesn't really matter.

More from Girls
10