I'm lonely and kinda desperate, should I try online dating?

Lately I have been REALLY wanting a relationship. I just feel like there is something missing, like a boyfriend. I do have an online dating account but I have it currently "hidden" should I "unhide" it? Anyone ever feel this kind of lonely? What are some tricks to get over being lonely and wanting a relationship?

Most Helpful Guy

• Online dating through a site dedicated to that pursuit is not necessarily an easier or less frustrating path than the alternatives so much as it is a different venue with some different "rules" that will be worth it to some people and not to others. You may find that you have to make a bigger effort than you normally would to engage guys who generally interest you, while (virtually) shoving the creeps off your lap.

It would be hypocritical of me to say not to go for it -- and obviously there are enough successful examples (including people here at GAG) for dedicated online dating communities to continue to thrive -- but In general I personally think its more worth it for most people, especially people who are still young, to expand their social circle by making new friends and casual acquaintances of both sexes in their daily lives. The larger the circle, the more likely a good match for you is somewhere in it if you are then willing to put in the work to pursue it.

As general advice, learn to become comfortable with the idea not every interaction with the opposite sex has to be the prelude to something more. It's okay to interact with men as *people* and not just as potential boyfriends/husbands/hookups/soulmates.

What Guys Said 7

• I don't think thhere is anything wrong with online dating

Infact its good to have a patner because sooner or later everyone needs someone to share there loneliness with

• Nothing wrong at all with online dating. Hell I met my wife by accident on Myspace back in '08 and we are still going strong. You are going to see a**hole and nice guys alike on there, not too different from face to face meeting except online you will at least have some idea of what a guy is like.

• Online dating is very good for women, you'll get lots of attention and interest.

You should go for it.

Don't expect any guys who are actually attractive though.

• Go talk to people of the opposite sex. The more of them in your life, the more opportunity you'll have and the less lonely you will be. As to if you should do online dating, that's you call. It's one way to meet people I guess. I've never done it, but some people definitely do use those sorts of services to meet people.

• You're a girl so you can just go out in public a little more often and meet a guy.

• Online dating is pretty cool actually and yes unhide it

• You can give it a shot but always remember that people online can lie about absolutely everything, catfish effect is the new bane of socializing.

Don't become too emotionally invested before meeting face to face and when you do, always do it in daylight and in a crowded place.

What Girls Said 2

• go on and try it. just be careful

• That is where I met my boyfriend and we have been together for a year and a half.

The things to remember are; Most of the guys on there are only looking for sex so no different than anywhere else, except maybe church. Guys are pretty straight forward about what they are looking for so much better than the real world since you can weed them out quick without getting hurt first. You will get lots of messages because the guys out number the girls a lot on there.