I disobeyed my parents and continued to date a guy they don't approve of?

and now that we have been together for a long time, we're in love. I had to sneak around and lie to my parents to be with him and after such a substantial amount of time, I couldn't take hiding it from them any more so I decided to be honest with them and tell them the truth. My mom cried and said she doesn't know me any more and seeing her that way broke my heart. I don't know what to do. Does she hate me? Any and all answers and advice are appreciated.

Most Helpful Girl

• Disobeyed your parents? Aren't you an adult. You should be able to make your own decisions, regardless of what your parents may believe or think. This your life. Your happiness should come first, forget what they tell you, because at the end of the day, you're dating this man, not them. They should be supportive of whomever you decide to get into a relationship. The fact that they aren't is really selfish. You should want to feel comfortable, you should want to see the guy you love without having to "sneak" around. It's not fair to you, or your lover. I say don't even worry about it. I'm sure your relationship with your parents is important, but you're a grown woman who can make your on decisions for yourself.

What Guys Said 3

• You're at least 25 and your Mom feels like she can tell you who to date? Whathefuq? Tell her to mind her own business.

• This. If you are really 25 tell her to back off. You aren't a child.

• well why don't they approve?

• Your parents have no respect for you if you are over 25 and they judge you like that. Ignore it and if they do not love and want you from now on then so what. Be your own person and be happy.

What Girls Said 2

• Just explain to her why you love him amd talk to her and hear her side of the story ask her to be open to your side of the story but you habe to be open to hers too

• You're old enough to make your own decisions and you seem to still respect your parents but you have a right to love who you love. Unless this guy is like abusing you I'd say your mom is in the wrong here