Dating someone your friends don't like? Would you?

This guy I've been talking to recently asked me out, and we're going on our second date soon. We have a lot of mutual friends, and a lot of them kind of don't like him. Mostly they've known him longer than I have. Nothing major or anything, but they say he can be annoying, needy, etc. Not things I'm looking for in a relationship. In talking to him, I haven't seen any of these things (and sometimes the examples they give of him I actually like and don't interpret as annoying). Normally I would trust these friends and probably not date a guy they don't like just based on that; on the other hand, if they didn't know him and I had just met him on my own, I would definitely want to date him.

The whole thing is making me think, and amking me wonder if I should keep seeing him. How much do you let your friends' opinion affect your romantic relationships? Especially when they've known the guy/girl for longer than you have?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't let people's opinions affect who I date. I make my own choices. I'm not a sheep. Oh I might mark their opinions, and hear them out, but at the end of the day, it's my choice.

I'd say you should just give the guy a shot, and decide for yourself if he's annoying. If he's annoying, then end it. No big deal. If he is needy, and you don't want to deal with that, then end it. But if right now you don't see that, for yourself, then don't let your friends decide for you. That's just stupid. It's not like you're going to get yourself hurt by going out on a date with this guy. So I say make up your own mind. Take their words into consideration, but don't let them sway you, unless they are pointing out something you already know and agree with.

Oh and as for your initial question... "Dating someone your friends don't like: Would you?"

Yes, a few.

What Guys Said 1

• you should make your own judgement. Most guys and gals will try to steer you away from a person that they may want by trying to make your decisions for you. If you like him, date him and if you find out you don't like him after dating, then you can make an informed decision.

What Girls Said 2

• The more time you spend with him the better you are to judge whether or not he is right for you.

• Make your own judgements about him

Spend more time with him and see if you like him