Would you date someone with a physical disability?

It can be anything from missing body parts, Deafness, Blindness..

Does it matter if its readily apparent?

• No. Just No.
  • I'm dating their mind and soul, not the shell.
  • Only if it isn't visually obvious to casual observation.
  • Wouldn't start, but wouldn't leave if something happened.
  • Honestly not sure.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele, which isn't evident from looking at me but it's there. I'd date someone else with a disability, and no it wouldn't have to be invisible. There is so much more to a person than how their body functions.

What Guys Said 6

• It would really depend on a lot of things. In short, I would not disqualify someone solely on the basis of them having a disability.

For example, I wouldn't disqualify someone because they were missing a leg. I would disqualify them because their specific disability prohibited them from dong things that I really enjoy and because I don't have the energy to transport them from date to date.

It would depend on the extent to which the disability would affect the relationship. If a girl had a prosthetic leg and was funny, kind, loyal, killer personality, fairly self sufficient, and with a pretty smile, I wouldn't have a problem dating her.

• It depends on the disability.

I only date people I consider potential mates in the long run. Otherwise they are just friends whom I wouldn't date.

Would the disability affect our sex lives? I hate to say it, but I would like my mate to be able to mate. If sex didn't matter I would have probably ended up marrying a best friend (but it DOES matter and my friend would definitely not be cool with that, haha). Don't get me wrong, I'm still a virgin and all so I don't even know if sex is what it's cracked up to be. But I'd still like to have it someday!

Would it affect the ability to have children? I also hate to say it, but I kind of want to pass my own genes on. I mean, that's why we have reproductive organs, right? I would be lying if I said adoption alone was okay (I'm cool with adoption, but I also want biological offspring).

I feel like a terrible person for admitting it, but the above two things matter the most for me physical disability-wise (and it just occurred to me that I am grouping infertile women with disabled! I feel horrible!).

Those things aside, my next concern would be HOW to date her.

How do I take a blind chick to a movie theater or sight seeing? Does this mean it would be rude if I went alone to see a movie I really wanted to? How do I get to know a deaf chick better if I don't know sign language (do we have to spell everything out with writing/typing/drawing)?

Thankfully there is research being done to give blind people sight, and deaf people hearing. So future technologies may hopefully remove those two challenges. But I'm sure there are other disabilities I haven't thought of that would affect the ability to date as well.

• it depends on the disability probably, I'd like to think it doesn't matter at all but I'm sure there is something that I'd say, "whoah, dont' think I can deal with that"... But for the most part I think I could deal with it. I've dated girls who were very hard of hearing and girls who were bipolar (I know not a physical disability)...I truly believethat I can see past the imperfections and focus on their personality.

that said I still have to be physically attracted to the person

• I would. Just because a person has a disability doesn't mean they aren't attractive. In the UK there is a children's TV presenter who has half an arm missing - she is still attractive

I would worry if the person in question was emotionally vulnerable though. I wouldn't like to start a relationship and have it go bad and hurt somebody who has enough problems without my stupid ass making their life any harder.

• physical exterior disability, no I probably would end up most likely not dating.

mental disability, no.

emotional: possible

• Already have and it was an obvious limp from missing muscle in the leg

What Girls Said 8

• I've dated a deaf guy. He could still speak normally and outside of that I typed, wrote and learned a small bit of ASL. I didn't mind it. I wasn't looking at flaws, I was looking at who he was. We didn't turn out, but it had nothing to do with that.

• Honestly, nothing at all? Not even a little bit?

• Nope. He was still smart and interesting. We just didn't click. I'm bolder and more outgoing. Even before his hearing loss, he was more Christian, sheltered, and traditional by belief in some sense. We had different core beliefs when it came down to it. We dated for 16 months before I decided that I didn't think he was going in the same direction, outside of that, it was a relatively normal relationship.

• Just having this conversation earlier...lol. A physical disability wouldn't be a turn off; but I would shy away from a mental disability.

• I didn't think I would, but I did fall for a guy with a physical disability once.

• I'm talking to a guy who is in a wheelchair. He is an awesome person!

• If I like him I like him. I don't think it'd be too hard to handle as long as they were already managing it well. I'm deathly allergic to all nuts and can't even be in the same room, so I guess the person would have to deal with my stuff too.

• I wouldn't intentionally pursue anyone with a disability, but you can't really help who you fall in love with... and if I were to fall in love with someone who had a disability, for whatever reason, I would stay with that person.

• I wouldn't count them out because of it. If our personality clicks I think I wouldn't have a problem.

• I find severed arms sexy for some reason. I don't know why, but I do. As far as dating somebody with a disability it would depend on what it was and if we could work on it. If they were deaf how would we communicate? I'd be happy to learn ASL, but how long would that take? If they are missing a leg can they have a prosthetic? Can they care for themselves? I don't want to have to baby anyone.. things of that nature are what I'd be worried about.