Dating Rules? yay or nay?

I tend to follow "rules" when dating. I know it is stupid to have rules, such as one rule I have is to not contact a guy first. Do you have rules or do you think they are childish?

Most Helpful Guy

• Basic rules are great for keeping a woman safe... like meeting in a neutral place for a first date, not getting drunk on a first date, not having sex too soon in order to help establish a connection and boundaries, etc.

But rules that have no intrinsic value, like "not making contact first" seems more manipulation than anything.

That's like certain religions requiring circumcision of babies, or disallowing the use of condoms despite the health risks, etc. Some rules simply don't serve you.

Sometimes you need to make decisions for yourself and not based on what others are telling you. Life is too short to let someone else make decisions for you...

So I suggest having some basic rules until they no longer serve you. :)

Stay safe but have fun!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

~ Robby

My Blog ( link )

What Guys Said 4

• I think they're childish and unnatural. If I want to talk to somebody, I'll talk to them. If I want to ask them a question, I'll ask it. If I want to make a joke, I'll make a joke. You get the picture...

If someone were to look at me strange because of this or initiate some kind of practiced response, then I'm not down with wasting my time on that. I'd tell them to go with the flow but if they could not do that, then I imagine I'd become disinterested. There's no way of knowing when the person is being genuine if they're forcing their behavior like that.

Like bobair said, there's a difference between values and "rules". Value- don't have sex too soon, so you can see if he's after a one nighter or is actually taking you seriously. But not contacting first? Just some outdated "ritual" or whatever.

• I think they are childish. I don't have rules in dating because I only want to fun out with her.

Also, I don't know any rules in dating, however I'm always successful in what I'm doing so I guess, "Nay".

• Rules are OK to an extent. If it takes away from the other person being themselves then that's bad. But a rule I have is when I am dating someone I am dating THEM. I don't date around. And I would not like the girl I would be dating to do that to me. Its not fair to her or to me.

• i dislike them but oh well

What Girls Said 3

• I tend to alter my behavior based on each guy and what feels right. I suppose there are a few rules I stick to most of the time, because they've proven to be very effective in maintaining my respect for myself, as well as his respect for me. But, I have and probably will make exceptions based on what feels right.

For example, there are rules such as never text the guy first. For some guys, I may follow that rule because I get the feeling that they're not all that interested, that they're only after sex, or that they have a lot of women they're pursuing at the time. For others, I'll get the sense that texting them first may do some good and will move things along, I'm pretty confident my doing so won't change anything, or I have something to say that I don't want to wait for him to text me.

That's sort of how I follow these dating "rules." It's my gut feeling based on the situation and the guy.

• I don't have rules,why should I wait for him to contact me when I could easily contact him.Of course I won't be sending loads of texts but I wouldn't wait for him.I do whatever feels right to me at the time.

• I have rules such as no kissing on first and also not contact a guy first. But I never had a date.