I don't understand the term "going out"?

I am just confused on a few things. Is asking a girl "Will you be my girlfriend?" the same as "Will you go out with me?" Or do you ask a girl to be your girlfriend after a few dates that went well?

Secondly, the term "dating." When two people go out on one date are they considered "dating?"

Can someone simply all these things for me? I would really appreciate it.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on age. I remember when I was in High School I would hear things like "My boyfriend is taking me out on my first date tonight." Which is how you did things at that age, you didn't really take the time to get to know people before being like "OMG he's totally my BF"

I think once you get older and more mature you have a dating stage which is just that, it's going on a date with someone that you may or may not see relationship potential with. I don't think an adult should ask someone "should you go out with me" in an attempt to get them to be their girl friend, to me it just sounds rather immature. I think a more adult way of asking would be like "So we've gone on x amount of dates and I really like spending time with you, in fact I don't really have any intest in going out with other girls. How would you feel about being exclusive?"

What Girls Said 5

• It all depends on your age.

From middle school to high school: "will you be my gf" and "will you go out with me" means the same thing.

Post High School : "will you be my girlfriend" (maybe phrased differently) means you want to be in a relationship with the girl. "will you go out with me" means you want to go on a date with her.

"Do you ask a girl to be your girlfriend after a few dates that went well?" Not so fast. Just because the dates went well does not mean you guys should ask this question. I've been on dates that they were fun, but I didn't want to be in a relationship with the guy because of xyz. So just make sure you get a sense of if she's ready for a relationship and if she throw signs your way that she'd like to be your gf.

The term dating... It means if you guys been on a couple dates, even if intimacy was not involved.

It can also mean you guys ARE intimate with each other.

• Depends on where you're from. Where I'm from there's no such thing as dating or being exclusive or not exclusive. Going out with someone means you're in a relationship, you are someone's boyfriend/girlfriend.

• "Will you go out with me?" only translates to "Will you be my girlfriend/boyfriend?" until about the 7th grade.

• Dating is when a couple starting a relationship is considering on my point of view "going out"...Now girlfriend, you don't ask that anymore, you call grilfriend when officially are dating for meaning of time Ej. 3 months and up when you two compliment each other and no dating some other people around...That's my personal opinion.

• "Will you be my girlfriend?" is the same as "Will you go out with me?" but "Will you go out with me?" is not the same as "do you want to date?"

What Guys Said 5

• This is how it is where I'm from.

In middle school through high school, going out meant a relationship. College onward, it changed and going out meant just going out on dates - not necessarily exclusivity. Dating can go either way, it could be exclusive or it could be not exclusive and needs defined between the people dating. Being someone's girlfriend/boyfriend means exclusivity.

So I am exclusive with my girlfriend. She is my girlfriend, we are going out, and we are dating. However, you can go out with someone from time to time...but they're not your girlfriend. You can date her, but she's not your girlfriend unless you define it with her as an exclusive relationship. There's overlap so you really have to define what each person's concept of what each term means.

That was kind of the issue I had with my girlfriend before we were exclusive. What did we call ourselves? Were we dating? If so, were we exclusive? Does that mean you're seeing other guys/am I seeing other girls? What are we? You should define that up front, because it was hard figuring out what we were once we began dating because we both seemed to have separate ideas of what was what. Eventually that was all sorted out when she said she wanted a relationship - the only real defined term. Before that, though...it was tough, because I knew I wanted her but I wasn't sure where she stood. Were we just friends hanging out? Were we going somewhere? All that.

• The way I look at it, "would you like to have dinner with me", "will you go out with me", etc. are ways of simply saying you want to spend more time with a particular girl and get to know her. I asked my mother the same thing one time, why those questions suggest that. I guess it's all in the wording. When you invite a girl to dinner with YOU, you insinuate you will be providing dinner for the both of you, whether through you cooking or you paying. Long story short, yes, you have the discussion about the future of the relationship after a few dates that go well.

Secondly, yes, but the thing is that "dating" is a very general term. It can mean something as simple as two people exclusively seeing each other but not yet fully committed or that they are in a serious relationship. For example, my parents dated for five years before they got married, but they were in a serious committed relationship.

Does that help?

• These terms mean different things to different people. Generally 'dating' means 'exclusively' dating, not just 'going out' once or twice, without any agreement on not seeing other people.

iout' means agreeing to dates with someone, but with no commitment to being exclusive. Generally people 'date' only one person at a time, but can 'go out' with several at the same time.

But there are exceptions to all these general rules!

• For me, "Will you go out with me?" is the same as asking "Would you like to go on a date with me?". It no way has, will, or ever be the same as "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I will ask a girl "Will you be my girlfriend?" after I have been on a few dates with her.

• yes