Wealthy girls: would you date a guy less well off than you?

See I've been flirting with this girl for a few weeks through body language and comments here and there. She seems to really like me as I do her. I've never dated a girl who was used to a lifestyle I can't afford and who wasn't near my financial capabilities. So guys and girls how do I approach a stuation like this and what should I expect if I were to date her and potentially get into a relationship with her? Wealthy girls would you date a middle class guy or any guy who wasn't as fortunate financially?

• Yes
  • No
  • Imma guy/see results
Also she is in my class at medical school so we are going into the same career. When we eventually start working we'll have similar salaries etc

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as he's ambitious and doesn't sit on his butt expecting me to take care of him, then sure. My mom always told me that a "smart, hardworking man" would be able to provide for me. If he has those qualities, I don't care about his current financial situation. And for the record, I do plan on working after getting married, so don't think that I expect my husband to single-handedly support me and our children.

What Girls Said 11

• Sure. I am currently a college student and I am very lucky to have a minimum wage part time job. I know a lot of kids my age don't have that. Right now I have no reason to turn down a guy who has no job, even if it meant we didn't go on dates or I paid when we did.

When I get my degree however, I will have higher standards when it comes to that.

• Start of with friends, if things progress then be straight forward with her. Tell her that you wouldn't always be able to buy her expensive materials, but you can give her all the love in the world. (Sounds corny, I know). Something like that, speak from the heart. If she says that she can't do without that life style then she would never be able to love you for you, she would constantly look at your status.

• Yes, I would. And I have in the past. Its really not about status - don't even talk about it. People that have money can tell who has it or not. Its all about respect - how you treat each other and if you can't afford a certain type of date don't mention it but try to do something else that shows you put in time and effort, anything that's thoughtful counts. BUT I do like to add that even though you may not be as financially capable as her - you seem ambitious. You are going to med school so someone that has or works towards an education always has better chances than someone that does nothing at all with his/her life.

ps - the big question is can you handle her? I'm not speaking about money - what I mean is can you handle the fact if she drives a better car then you? has better clothes then you? etc

• Thank you :) and I definitly know that I can handle her and make her very happy, but relationships are a two way street. I like her for who she is and I hope the she feels they same about me instead of wanting me to be someone I clearly can't be

• that's the right attitude - good luck and don't ever change who you are for someone else - only better and improve yourself for your own sake :)

• I would start of as her friend and get to know her better. However, I rarely see this on a superifical level just because she has to maintain her lifestyle. However, the best kind of love, is free. Take her to the park, dancing in the courtyard, etc. Something different.

• yes, if he is a hardworker

• I agree with everyone who said that you should start of with being friends, get to know her, see what type of guy she wants then you'll know if your that type. If I'm being brutally honest then it would be hard, I dated a guy who was middle classed, I really loved him but the problem was that we had different tastes. He constantly felt under pressure to match up to the stuff I bought for him. Eventually it led to us breaking up.

• Thank you for your answer. What would you have changed that could have made your relationship work?

• Not buy him such expensive gifts, then he wouldn't have felt pressured to buy something more or equally as expensive.

• I'm not wealthy but as a middle class person I don't care about dating someone poorer then me, but that's probably because I could so easily be in there position its easy to relate.

• I've never been wealthy, so I can't tell you. If you're both in med school, I'm not sure it would matter. Most doctors I've ever known are pragmatic and seem to be in a whole different demographic. Also, if you're both in med school ... she may not be thinking about settling down or anything and may just want someone to play with. I've heard it's hard to balance regular life with med school.

• i said no but I mean yes.

• No, either same amout or more.

• I'm not wealthy, but if I were I don't see why I wouldn't be attracted to someone less off than me. Relationships like that happen all the time! You may have some issues when it comes to the family (when you two get serious), but just dating shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'd think that when you guys started talking about marriage or getting to that point (the two year mark or whatever) then issues may spring up if they're snooty, but if they're genuine wealthy people it should be all gravy.

What Guys Said 4

• i hope so

• I bet they claim A to seem more mature, but really it'll be B.

• I'm thinking most wouldn't. Girls always seem to want to date someone equal to them or more likely better than them

• Wealthy girls wouldn't. Wealthy guys would date a middle class or poor girls but wealthy girls wouldn't because in order to maintain her lifestyle and reputation among her friends it wouldn't look good if she dated someone of a lower class. Wealthy girls expect their men to be wealthy and some of the things they find quite romantic are when their boyfriends buys them fancy stuff. Like nice jewelry, purses, or watches and stuff like Chanel or Michael Kors and what not. You'll only find wealthy girls dating middle class or poor guys in rare exceptions. Maybe if the guy is really good looking and the girl is quite unattractive or fat who can't get a decent rich guy to date then she would.

• This exactly what I'm afraid of. I wouldn't be able to get material things all the time and when I do iy may not be of a quality she is used too.

• I'd say give it a shot though but always keep in mind that money is most likely the most important thing for girls when it comes to dating. Especially if a girl is wealthy because every girl wants a guy who has just as much money as them but if she will give you a chance then don't be disappointed later. At least you tried rather than not tried at all. I'd say give it a shot if you get rejected then oh well. Nothing to lose because after all she's a rich girl and you're a middle class guy so

• not a shocker.