Is it possible to date without Facebook these days?

Over the last two years, I've come to see that Facebook only brings calamity around. It's been the reason of many fights with my ex-girlfriend, a waste of time and mostly, an obstacle to any form of creativity - including studying. Of course, I'm not blaming anything on Facebook itself, it's just a piece of code: I just suck at using it. The thing is, the only way I could keep myself from it is to totally delete my count. No deactivation, no curfews. Total uprooting of my account.

I only had two excuses for not already deleting it. One is that I can't keep in touch with some great friends that live in the US and London. I solved that by getting their e-mails and Skype accounts. So only one remains, which is my greatest worry when it comes to deletion: talking to girls.

I am a very, very shy dude. I'm slowly managing to overcome this, but dating isn't my strongest point. I have found some routes to build my confidence, and as much time as it takes, I enjoy the trip. Facebook is definitely a way to get in touch with girls, and seeing that the majority of girls have accounts, it serves as a second dating ground. So far, I've 'held' myself to use it decently (no stalking, no talking to completely unknown girls and freaking them out unless there is an excuse etc.) so I could force myself to use real-life social skills. But for some reason, I'm afraid that if I delete it, I significantly lower my chances at finding a girl. Actually, even some friends of mine that are successful at real-world dating keep telling me that it's fine to relax and use it to meet girls, that it's no big deal. I don't know, though. A girl I went out with a few months ago had no Facebook account; she even mocked me for having one.

For me, the negatives significantly overweigh the positives of the social networking scheme. Mostly because of the time-consuming qualities they carry. But this one positive is rather important to me because, well, I like dating as much as I'm scared of it. What do you think? Am I going to live a normal dating life without a Facebook account?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure it's possible. Facebook isn't a very good way to meet girls. Only a couple times have I actually had a conversation messaging back and forth with a random girl. Girls simply do not talk to guys they don't know on Facebook. They will almost always add you as a friend and read your message but they mainly just add you as a friend and won't message you back because girls try to get as many friends as possible on their profile. Then the girls that you do know generally won't respond to your message if they have a boyfriend already. Then their is the other problem of contacting too many girls and then they talk to their friends about you and then they will realize that oh wow he hit on me too. That's no bueno.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't reccommend looking for girls to date on FB just because for many people, FB is where they pretty much cut out all the unattaractive, annoying pieces of themself and try to make themself look perfect. Their FB page is an impartial, often fake view of what they're truly about.

I agree that Facebook had more possible negative outcomes than possible ones. I hate how some people will judge who you are and what your life is like based off of your Facebook activity.

• just make one, keep it simple, if a girl wants to get in touch with you she can..

• for me it is almost impossible to get true love with Facebook.

What Guys Said 3

• Its more than possible. Facebook isn't gaining as much momentum anymore, and you are more than able to communicate with women through the phone

• there are lot of negatives with Facebook compare to positive,I had girls judging me on basis of my Facebook profile and some of them just wanna bloat their friendslist or get the likes

• I got as far as the title. Is this a joke?

• If you have nothing smart to contribute, then please, don't bother getting this far.

• I think I cover that in the details, my friend. I'm explaining WHY I think it could be hard. Think of it. After the cell phone became the norm, mail communication was still -and still is- possible. Does that mean that people send paper mail to each other when they can just call? You are talking too hypothetically here. If we didn't have the Internet, then the Facebook norm wouldn't exist at all.

My fear isn't that I won't be able to talk to girls; it's that it will be harder.

• What a worthless answer.

If he's not even ballsy enough to share this answer without hiding, then he's probably the type of p**** who would block me for calling him out on his bullsh*t.