What's up with the first date being going to the movies?

Seriously...

I don't understand it. In a movie your not allowed to talk, but aren't first dates meant to get to know the person better? Unless you both know sign language I doubt that will work out too great. Presuming you could see the hands, since it's so dark.

So why do girls like to go to the movies on a first date?

Is it to cuddle, or to grab the guys arm in a scary movie, or that your close to them in the dark...what?

Do you go anywhere else after the movies?

Most Helpful Girl

• My first date with my husband was to a movie. But we ended up going to like 4 different places afterwards just so we could hang out longer and talk. I think it's more the fact that being taken to a movie is just so classic for a first date, and it makes it seem romantic because of that. But I think it's probably a good idea to either go to dinner before/after, or at least hangout before/after so y'all can talk. I mean, what's the point of going on the date when the only communication you get is the ride over, before the movie starts, and the ride home?

What Girls Said 11

• I don't like the idea of going to the movies for a first date. Sitting next to the person you're out with and only sitting next to them (not talking or anything) seems awkward. Seems like a better idea for when you're more comfortable around each other.

• I always did dinner first, for that time to talk and get to know each other, then the movie, time to cuddle and all that stuff, so you get the best of both.

• I think it takes the pressure off of coming up with conversation for a few hours straight. But that's what you're supposed to do when beginning to date someone- talk... get to know one another. I think movies for the first few dates are a terrible idea, unless you've known the person for a while, and just want to be able to relax in their presence.

But, you can always catch a movie and do coffee afterwards. That way, you can discuss the flick AND get to know them. It'll have some built in conversational topics.

Also, you can go to local events- concerts, art festivals, county fairs, plays, rodeos. There's always bowling, miniature golf, paintball, indoor rock climbing, etc... As long as you put thought and effort into the date, the girl will appreciate it. :)

Best of luck!

• So why do girls like to go to the movies on a first date?

It's a classic is why.

Personally, no. I go because like I said, a classic, inexpensive way to waste time.

Usually not. Though that's always an option.

• The only good thing about going to a movie on a first date is that it just gives you time to get used to the person, and to let the nervousness subside, a lot of people are nervous on the first date, and it just gives you time to get over your nervousness, then after the movie if you go to dinner or something, then you can talk and get to know each other without all of that nervousness.

• sh*t its time to break this cycle. take me bowling or something lol. we could get to know eachother, laugh and even go out to eat after. the moovies suck cause there's no conversing going on both people are just thinking.

• Well, maybe because it is easy to ask someone out for a movie? It wouldn't be that obvious that it is a date.

• Can't a guy take me bowling or something? Hell, I'd even do to Happy Joe's to play games! haha

• Yea, I agree, movie dates are boring and unoriginal

• Haha, I so agree. it is a bit unusual..

• I use to do that but I stopped going on first dates at the movies because like you said it doesn't give you the chance to get to know each other.I would suggest dinner and a movie.That way you can get to know each other at dinner and by then you may feel more comfortable around each other when seeing the movie.Also keep in mind, pick your movie choices wisely!dont take her to see something innapropiate like "Bruno"!Worst first date movie ever and can you think of the awkwardness!Pick something cute like a romantic comedy or 3D animated if you like that.Also a great first or second date would be bowling!Thats lots of fun!Hope that helped.

What Guys Said 11

• The only explanation I could think of is that if you both liked the movie it shows you have something in common. That's just a guess though.

Personally my idea of a good first date would be to go to a place like Dave & Buster's. It's an arcade/pool hall/restaurant/bar. Some locations have bowling alleys and laser tag too.

• i think that girls like to go to the movies on the first date is becuase they might wanna see how well they both connect. a lot of girls might think that if they get to know the guy by talking they might not have anything in common so they might not feel comfortable being in an open place where the two can talk. Or maybe it could be just that akward silence that most couples have on the first date and to over come that akward silence the girl could just suggest a movie so they won't have to talk and can avoid that akward slience.

• Because it gives you something to talk about when you have dinner afterwards. Then you can branch off from there.

• Hmm... Never thought of it that way.

Haha, I have no idea what to talk about whenever I do talk to a girl.

• Yea that and if it was a good movie, you are both leaving the theater with the same nice feelings. Kinda puts you both at the same level plus it is relaxing just sitting there at a movie. So you basicallt just spent time with her doing the same thing feeling relaxed. it takes te edge off while you are having dinner plus you know the evening is almost over. Its just relaxing.

• A first date should definitely be something active that generates fun and conversation. In my opinion, movie dates should be saved until things are a little farther along, and the parties involved are better acquainted.

• ive done it before, we actually made out in the theatre, it was nice, but, only because it was a long distance relationship...talking was all we ever did before it

i got my first gf, based off going to a movie as a first date

the last time I went on a real first date though, which was february of this year, I actually took her for a walk around our school, since we go to school together, it was a nice way to just chat, and explore etc... at the same time

after that date, she blew me off the rest of the times I tried to get her to do something with me

we wound up breaking the friendship, haven't spoken to her since

• it makes it a lot easier to break the touch barriers and first kisses because it's a little more private. also I do movies as the first date but have txtd and called the girl b4 and already gotten to know her a lot so the whole not talkign thing isn't really an issue

• I've only done that once, and I learned my lesson the first time. First dates should always be activities that allow for lively conversations. Movies make you stationary and mute, not the best thing in mind for a date.

• I think if you go to dinner than a movie your just using the movie to prepare yourself for the next move... I went to dinner walked around than a movie than going bowling which was kind of the spur of the moment since I was trying to find something to do in the area I'm not familiar with. But other than that we held hands the whole time and spent a great deal of talking... She's really into me and right now I'm trying to plan something romantic the 2nd time around... But that's besides the point... I think the whole movie thing is good if your a friend probably to her...

• I think that's more of guy thing going to the movies for a first date ,I know when I was young mom would pick up my date and take us to the mall and we would see a movie ,its mainly because is dark and some what private and it is an opportunity to touch and make out and spend a couple hours next to each other.

• first date at a movie is the worst. DONT .. DO ... IT

best would be at a coffee shop, walk in the park, gallery ...

• Nah Movie is fine as long as you do something after the movie.

• I think a movie date is a coward's first date. But if you've already gotten to know the girl pretty good, a good scary movie is a perfect movie for a date. Its probably the best choice. Make sure its also a movie that you BOTH agree on. You don't want her dragging you in to those damn Twilight movies right? And you don't want to drag her in to some macho man action movie cause she's not going to take you seriously.