Is it wrong to do this?

I was emailing a guy from a free dating site. We decided to exchange numbers and I admitted the first name I gave him was a fake and gave him my real name. He is quite upset by this and I told him I always use a fake name as I have met several unsavory guys on there. So my question is- is it wrong to give fake info till you see if the person is ok?

Most Helpful Guy

• nope. explain to him the horror stories out there in regards to online dating. Date rapes, stalkers, players, creepers, etc, etc.

I think you are well within your right, as long as you tell him in an appropriate amount of time, to hide some parts of your identity

• Yeah seems he is OK now it just took him two hours to send the first text message. I did explain about a stalker I once got and he seemed more understanding. He is much newer to it than I.

• i dated online (actually met my current girlfriend of 2 years online). there was a girl I went on a few dates with who did it. it is weird to realize that you were a bit misled so I think he reaction was a natural one...but it is 100% understandable why people (particularly women) would feel the need to give a fake name

What Guys Said 1

• Nope, and if he gets pissed off by this dump him like a sack of bricks, or oysters, your pick.

I personally like oysters.

What Girls Said 3

• Nope and other guys do it as well. If he finds offense in this then you should probably not trust him or if he is not a nut case he is probably too stupid to date so no harm done.

• No I don't think its wrong at all. When I first met my boyfriend online (10 years ago) I also gave him a fake name. He was also very upset and said I probably gave fake names to all kinda guys. But I just did it because I did not know him and I wasn't sure if he was okay. Anyways we liked each other a lot that now he may bother me here and there about it...but its in the past. Let him know it's for your own safety!

• No don't think it was wrong . I wouldn't meet some one I met online alone the first time.