Age range for dating?

Ok I'm 23, and my group of friends have a very diverse age range from 18 to 30+. But I'm just curious as to what people think is a reasonable age range to date. Obviously a few years either way is nothing. But the older we get the larger the range is usual. What's y'all's opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• Your age divided by 2 plus 7 is the youngest (18-19 for you) and the opposite to find the oldest. Your age minus 7 times 2 (32 for you). So, someone age 23 should really only date people between the ages of 18-32. The range using that formula gets bigger as you get older, as age differences become less important then.

• Hmm that's and interesting way of doing it. Where did you come up it?

• Ya I just did a few ages in my head and it really does kinda fit into what I thought was appropriate. Except for me at my age now. Just seems a bit young but heck, what do I know lol

• think that was from memebase :) (i'm not sure) I use this too XD

What Girls Said 12

• I've noticed that the acceptable age difference seems to be larger the older you get, haha. My opinion is do whatever drives your boat and I'm not bothered by it. AS LONG AS you're not too young. If you're 15 you should not be with a 25+, that's just. Too much. If you're 22 and manage to get your hands on a 35er though, lucky you ^^. I think relationships are better though if you keep under 10 years difference since there is a maturity issue..

..And if you're 22 and dating 60+, be my guest but I'm not going to believe you when you say that you love him.

• Well everyone has their own opinion about what is right for them.

I personally like older guys. XD

I never dated anyone who is more than a year younger than mi or oddly enough the same age as mi come to think of it. lol. XD Not saying that I wouldn't but again I like older men. U_U I read somewhere that this woman who married this man who is 13 years older than her and she was of course in love but then those difference in age set it. As in he needed someone to take care of him because of his declining health and the age he was at. At the time she did not care but it began to take his toll but his behavior didn't help as he left her (probably to have an affair) because he did not say why he left but he just did. SO! Basically she was his nurse. May not be the case for everyone but I'm sure it has happened and something to think about.

** Point is: I would date someone 18-27(If they are mature by then) or 28-45

• I'm a fan of the half your age +7 as a general guideline of how young you can go without being a creeper. So if you're 23, then your bottom limit would be 18.5.

I tried to break out my mad algebra skills to figure out the formula for the upper limit, but the answers weren't lining up. Oh well. Algebra fail. Using the same lower limit formula, you'd be the lower limit for someone who is 32

• Why should it matter what the age if you are happy with them. My mother dated a 32 year old for over a year. She is 52, he made her happy. I am older than he is. As long as you are happy why worry about the age or what people think. Never know could find true love that way.

• I'm 19. My personal window is 18-21, but preferably 19-20.

Most people have wider age ranges than I do, though. I think it's okay as long as it's legal and within a maximum of 10 years.

• I'm 23 as well and I have friends between the ages of 19-45, so it's a large range. However, dating wise I think I would go 2yrs younger to 4yrs older (so atm, 21-27) I'd like to be the same generation as the people I'm dating. lol.

• My first boyfriend was 16 years older than me and I will never forgot the love we shared. In the end though, I would say stick with your generation (within a decade either way) because you just have more in common and the same general amount of life experience so that one partner is not dominating the relationship that way.

But remember that love is blind and age is just a number ;-)

• As long as you are both adults I think age shouldn't matter too much.

• When I was working for public school as an Instructional assistant in elementary school I know that the 5th and 6 th graders would talk about their girlfriends. Who am I to judge. I'm older than them and I'm single. I knew people in high school that started getting pregnant at the freshman grade level and I know a couple who I met that got married at 16. So people date when they are ready.

• I was going to give numbers but it's all very ridiculous, just date who you like.. Have you ever seen Harold and Maude? haha;)

• within a 3 year range is ok

• As you get older, you move through difference stages of life slower. Someone who is 25 often has a hard time dating someone who is 20, for example. The 20 year old is usually much less mature and is just getting started in finding themselves, whereas a 25 year old often has different goals, hobbies and values.

Someone who is 15 has no business dating someone who is 10, as a 10 year old isn't even physically mature, not to mention emotionally/mentally. But a 15 year old would also be a bad match for a 20 year old, as they also have different maturity levels.

But someone who is 30 can easily date a 25 year old or a 30 year old, because all of those people are around the same stage in life.

It's rare that someone who is 40 wants to date someone who is 60, though, because they are at different stages of life again.

What Guys Said 3

• The classic "half your own age plus 7" as the lower bound is not a bad rule of thumb.

The upper bound then being "double your age minus 14"

This assumes that 14 is a good age to start dating. Younger than that it is best to keep to your own age group I guess.

• I've met some 32 year olds that were less mature than some 22 year olds, so it is really about mutual attraction and compatibility.

Once the law of the land is respected (18+ in the US), it's about compatible goals and maturity levels (compatible may or may not be "literally exactly the same').

• Once your 18, age is just a number I've been with women in their 40s mostly because they were more experienced, was it dating per say not it was just fun. So long as your legal I don't think it matters so long as there is an attraction