Which holds more meaning?

Being with someone for 6 months and not being "official" yet or dating someone for one month and just being exclusive?

this is just because my best friend just broke up with his Boyfriend of one month and when I give examples of what could be done better he doesn't want to listen to me because I've been dating a guy for 6 months and we aren't official yet.

let me update what I mean by one month...they admitted they loved each other after one week of knowing each other and dating and then just broke up after actually 3 weeks.

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't work that way. While being in a relationship yourself gives you some first hand experience, it's not necessary for seeing problems in another person's relationship.

We don't know what you told your friend. It may or may not be good advice. But either way your friend is just making an excuse for not listening. To think they are some kind of expert because they've been with someone for a month is ridiculous.

I also don't see how someone could be called a boyfriend after only one month. I would just call that dating.

There is no need for anything to be "official". If two people have been dating exclusively for six months, it's a de facto boyfriend/girlfriend relationship no matter what name you give it. My guess is that most people never make it "official", it just works out that way.

What Guys Said 2

• unfortunately neither holds more meaning. These feelings and the value of them is entirely subjective. Each person could be critical of the others relationship (e.g. how do you fall in love in a month? How do you date someone for six months and not be exclusive? Essentially both sides of the coin can be viewed critically).

Your friend should have an open ear for the simple fact that you are their friend and what's the point in having friends if you don't at least listen to what they have to say. But I don't think either relationship really lends either person to be a greater authority on relationships

• He's got a point, lol. At least him and his boyfriend were exclusive. Dating should have little or no emotional investment.

What Girls Said 2

• Neither is very meaningful. A month is a short time to spend with someone exclusive or not. And six months of dating isn't very significant either. Why aren't you guys exclusive yet?

• dating for such a long time without being exclusive is insignificant. I've done it.