The "hit by a truck" test

I was reading a reply on one question here and one of the text was "I was going to date a girl. I got an text from one of her friends and she told me she had been hit by a truck. It wasn't true. It was supposed to be a "test"."

Now, very similar has happened to me! I don't remember if I had already begun dating my x or if this was in the time leading up to it (before we started dating), but one of her girlfriends told me that one of her x boyfriends had been hit by a truck and killed while jogging, and didn't hear the truck because supposedly he was listening to his ipod.

My x was anywhere near us when her friend told me this, and I don't remember my reaction ...but the text in the answer from another question (/Flirting-Questions/800987-its-really-boring-always-have-new-crush-that.html) got my thinking ...

Was this a test, and if it was - why and what's the purpose ?

Most Helpful Guy

• Its a game and maybe a test but probably more so an immature toying with you. That's f***ed up. Same thing happened to me. Was at work one day , when a friend of the girl I was dating, texted me that she was in a serious accident and had to be rushed to the hospital by helicopter and she was on her way there. I asked her what hospital she was going to, she said she didint know and that she would get a call from the hospital and would know then. I texted her a little later and she said she was there with her and said the doctor said the next 6 hours were critical and she probably had only a 30% chance making it through this. I asked her what hospital and she said she had promised her at the scene that she would keep me away because she didint want me to go through this and experience her dying and have to live with that. And also didint want me to see her all bloody and that I might not like anymore because the crash disfigured her face. Wtf? I was like I'm going to be there for her no matter what and will goto every hospital in the area until I find her. Well, I tell my boss a close friend of mine doesn't have long to live and I need to go see her. I'm leaving work and my girlfriend texts me and says, "Your an idiot". I'm like why and she's like you just are. Then, said "lighten up, it was just a joke, you take things way to seriously"...like I don't care. You don't f*** around with that sh*t.There's been people I've known, some people I've cared about a lot, who have died in very tragic ways. Drunk driving, hit by a car,etc. I DO NOT f*** around with that sh*t. That is f***ed up what she did, she has no clue what she put me through, over again. I practically almost broke up with her over it. I don't play around with people getting hurt or killed, especially people I care about.

• Holy cr#p, that's even more f#cked up than the lie that I was told. And man, I wonder if my X was in on it, we we're both 20 years old at the time, and her girlfriend that told me this in person was also 20; but man, girls shouldn't be immature at this age! Whatever the f#ck this is, it just goes to show that girls can, sadly, very often be extremely immature and f#cked up!

• I'm with Rick... why didn't you broke up with her?

• Im not with her anymore. But I should've broken up with her long before I did. You live and learn.

What Girls Said 8

• I have never heard of this before now, but that sounds ridiculous. If she doesn't want to be with you, she should just say. If she is fishing for a reaction, best to just let her be and move on. Game playing is ridiculous, especially when it involves faking someone's death.

Like seriously, who does this? S:

This is probably a test for her, but it's a warning sign for you to RUN!

Don't put up with this kind of behavior , seriously, don't, run away now! !

• I'm not sure what kind of test it would be. I would never say anything like that about anyone to anyone as a joke. Sounds immature and morally wrong to me.

• the test is to see if you will feel sad of that person its to see the reaction in which you have. its done to see if you you care or not about that someone although it is a messed up thing to do its used a lot in society today

• Well, what I don't get in my case - why should I care about some x boyfriend, and about something that supposedly happened many years ago, before I met her?

• oh my god I've never heard of anyone doing that and I'm shocked by asdaven's answer. there is no reason that justifies doing that.

• That sounds so high school. Nobody does sh*t like that in the real world unless they're very immature.

• Who DOES this?! *bangs head against a wall* I hate games.

• wow that is incredibly manipulative...

• Umm I don't know what kind of test that is but nobody should play around with stuff like that

What Guys Said 1

• It's not a test.

It's just that something happened that's why the girl you're supposed to date didn't came.