Was my second date a deal breaker?

I went on what seemed like a perfect first date with this girl. It went so well that we agreed to meet again, this time at my house, the following Tuesday. We had planned to watch a movie. My friend had been at my house that afternoon, and he had a bit of a breakdown a few hours before I was supposed to pick up my date. I spent the afternoon consoling him, and he left my house about a half-hour before I was supposed to pick up this girl

When I picked her up, I could immediately tell that I wasn't mentally at 100%, and that my friend's emotional state was still heavily on my mind. As we drove back to my place, I told her about my very strange and hectic afternoon. When we finally got back to my house, I could tell that I was acting much more awkward than I had been on the first date. She seemed to be comfortable enough, but I could tell that I was giving off a weird vibe to her. We sat through 2/3 of the movie in almost complete silence, punctuated by minor conversation. She didn't seem like she wanted me to put my arm around her, which I had already done on the first date. Finally, at around 2/3 of the way through the movie, things were so awkward that I think we both wanted it to end. She said that she should probably go home, so we got in the car. On the way, I explained that I had felt really awkward and that my afternoon had more of an effect on me than I thought. She said it was OK, and that she was a really awkward person, too (I am usually not that awkward.) I then told her that making a good impression that night was really important to me, because this is one of the coolest girls I've gone on a date with (and I told her that). she seemed flattered, and when I told her that I'd like another opportunity to get to know her, she said she'd like that too. When I told her I was worried that I "blew it," she assured me I hadn't. I walked her to her door, and we hugged (same as the first date). She said she'd text me and that I should text her when I got home safe. We made plans for next Monday. I just couldn't shake the feeling that she was just saying all of this to be nice, but she also doesn't seem like the type of person to lead someone on. I got home and texted her goodnight, but she never responded. I'm writing this the morning after all this happened. Did I "blow it," or am I just over thinking this?

Most Helpful Girl

• no I don't think you blew it at all. you told her why you were acting like that she she seemed to understand. it would have been different if you were acting like that and then never told her about what happened with your friend. so I wouldn't worry about it at all she sounds like she's into you. she was probably just acting awkward during the movie because you were uncomfortable and she didn't really know what to do. your next date will probably go really well and be better than the first!

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• no. you did a good job of explaining it and she seemed to understand. she has responded to your text you have set a new date... Don't over think it, I think your fine

• Well she never texted me back when I told her I got home safe My phone says she read it though.

• well I often don't respond to those "got home safe" texts or I forget to... but you made plans to hang out Monday after that 2nd date right? I do think you are over thinking it. Try not to analyze every single action or inaction for deeper meaning. Just see what happens, but it sounds like you have nothing to worry about

• I don't think you blew it

Actually, as a general rule when things do take a turn for the worse like this, the girl is almost always going to assume it was her fault. You did absolutely the right thing by assuring her it wasn't.

Give it a little time and a little space before trying to set up a second attempt at a second date, and don't use text this time. Call her on the phone.