Why am I so afraid of the possibility of dating?

Almost 3 years ago I was too shy to tell a guy how I felt about him when I already knew he had feelings for me too. He ended up dating someone else. I've felt a lot of regret since this happened and have always told myself if he's ever single again, I'd love to see if he'd still be interested.

He is single again and sure enough, I think he still has feelings for me too. But I'm kind of afraid of this now. I don't know if it's because I've never had a boyfriend or because I'm extremely shy.

I'm going to see him in less than a month and I'm scared and nervous. I have the opportunity I wanted. I never thought I'd get a second chance. Now that it's here, I can't stop worrying about it.

Why am I so afraid of this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's probably not a fear of rejection, since you seem fairly confident he still has feelings for you. So that leaves fear of acceptance. Closeness and intimacy are not things that come easily to everyone, something I know from personal experience. I have trouble trusting someone enough to be completely vulnerable with them. This seems like someone you can trust given how long you've known him. Just ask yourself: what is the worst that could happen?

What Guys Said 2

• I don't see how fear can hurt a girl's chances of getting a boyfriend since girls usually take on the passive role in dating

• I think you are probably afraid of screwing up another chance with this guy. However, if you really like him and you think that he likes you back you should put yourself out there because you probably won't get a third chance especially when it's taken 3 years to get another chance. You would be wise to take a chance on him otherwise you will regret it and you don't want that hanging over you for the rest of your life.

What Girls Said 0