Dressing to impress vs. being "true to yourself" with what you wear ?

This was inspired by questions like this: link

kind of an extreme example, but in life in general, and especially where first impressions, or first dates are concerned...

- Do you see it more as other peoples job to look past your attire and judge you for what's on the inside, therefore it's fine to wear whatever and if other people don't like then they are just shallow.

OR

Do you see it more as your job to dress to impress and put in an effort out of respect and consideration for people and occasions?

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, on such an occasion as a first date to a fine restaurant or something, I would dress in my best attire, because it would quite much bother me to not do so in such an establishment, but I don't really consider it to be out of my "true self" because the desire to dress in such a way comes from my personality and isn't any blind obedience towards any "rules" that say it's a must to do so. I mean it would be dishonorable behavior from me which matters to me more than any "socially accepted etiquette". But of course if our first date is on a beach or doing some activity like sports or going to movies or something like a theme park or such, such a way of dressing isn't exactly necessary or convenient. But then again I guess that describes my personality at least somewhat by making me seem at least semi-adaptable.

What Guys Said 3

• In between.

And really there's no such thing as "true to yourself" because we're all a product of everything else whether we realize it or not.

• I'm not like most guys so take this with a grain of salt. I don't believe in first impressions. Wear what you like. Any guy who thinks you look sexy in comfortable clothes may love you forever.

There are times to dress differently. A nice restaurant or a funeral. Job interview, etc. Other than that... rock them yoga pants. Yeah, we like seeing them on you almost as much as you do. Though we love taking them off of you too. :D

• ok, yeah, guys like yoga pants, but what if a girl is most comfortable in baggy trackies and oversized tshirts? are you still gonna find her casualness alluring then?

• but I'm talking about first impressions...

• I don't buy into first impressions but if she dresses for comfort then that's more my kind of woman. :)

• For the reality part, it would be your job to impress.

First impression really lasts.

What Girls Said 3

• I dress what I want and feel comfortable with. Usually something decent and classic which makes me more respectful around my colleagues.

I usually add my own touch to everything I wear, since I'm interested in art. So I try to choose my clothes to be suitable to my taste rather than chasing the latest fashion trends. One of my relatives is a tailor, so I hope she can teach me in the future how to make my own clothes. ^_^

So it's not something I want to impress people with, but something I want to show my own taste and my own self in it, and at the same time it should be decent and I feel comfortable wearing it.

• I dress for myself, unless its a big event like a wedding.

• i dress to make me feel good and confident. I don't dress for other to impress, I dress for my own benefits.