Why are these 3 topics the most trollable?

Sex, politics, and religion are three most trollable subjects. I have been told that you shouldn't talk about any of them on a first date or even a 2nd date. Why is this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Politics and religion are because wherever someone falls on the spectrum, if you tell them you're somewhere on the opposite side, their guard immediately goes up and they will usually look to pigeonhole you into their mold of what that "kind" of person is (i.e. liberal, right-wing, too permissive, too high strung, Christian, naturalist/atheist/agnostic, etc.). Because of this, unless we both know where each other falls, I wouldn't bring it up because the first few dates are to get to know someone's personality to see who they really are, not to categorize them (you get to do that after you break up). Sex is a topic that everyone has their opinions on, but mostly if they're talking about it with a person they're attracted to, they'll want to demonstrate. And if you give a mouse a cookie...Anyway, just as you don't talk about the first two subjects on the first few dates, you don't talk about this because you want to know who that person is on the inside, and not just what turns them on in bed. I think Patti Stanger has a good point when she makes her matches to tell them "no sex before monogamy."

And the reason most people troll them, especially here, is that they have largely pigeonholed their troll-ee and just want to use their point of view as fodder for a joke.

What Girls Said 3

• Sex: Inappropriate to bring up early because the person will think that's all you're looking for.

Politics: Starts heated arguments easily due to it's ability to bring out stubbornness in people. Also highlights most peoples' genuine inability to compromise.

Religion: Convinces everyone they're right for believing what they believe. Get 2 people w/different religious beliefs in the room, both will think the other person is wrong. Poor conversation starter.

Personally, I get the sex & religion questions answered really fast. That's just me though, because (certain answers to) both are deal breakers for me. I don't like wasting time.

• Because these topics are ones which people tend to have strong opinions of...it is very easy to have an argument whilst discusiing them because your views are very personal.

• It can be very offensive to some people and doesn't make a good impression

What Guys Said 4

• 1. IDGAF about your/their political views and I think it's something that should likely be kept to yourself until things get serious. Only causes problems with a lot of people. Like... people can be friends and then find out they vote opposite and then they aren't as good of a friend (to some).

2. Unless its against religion to be with another person, personally I don't think its important to discuss religion with someone until you get to know them first. It's not a topic that'll sway you one way or another (again, unless it IS something that will sway your decision) unlike something like wanting kids/abortion

3. Sex, No idea, but it's a *hush hush* kind of topic to a lot of people still

• All religions say you're supposed to be with the same religion. However, like with my parents, there are rule breakers :P

• ohic. I didn't know every single religion out there had that rule. Well I guess I'ma be a rule breaker too more than likely. If it is a deal breaker for either party I'm sure it'd come up really early on

• Generally they're touchy areas so you're likely to run into conflicting views and hate each other right off the bat. People like to wait till the 3rd date before they go steady and start hating each other.

• Because usually people are going to have opposing views on these issues that can get quite heated.

• Because those three subjects are most controversial.