If someone you were dating got in a bad accident that disfigured their face would you still love them?

My best friend just dumped her boyfriend of four years because he was in an accident and now is face is severely scarred. She stayed with him during his stay in the hospital (he was there for a while) and then about two weeks after he was released she dumped.She told me she felt bad but she could no longer date him. I was mad at her, but I have to wonder what I would do in the same situation. I like to sit here and say I would stay with him, but maybe it's different when you're in the situation. I don't want to think of her as a bad person. But lately I've been feeling resentment towards her for what she did. They have a kid together.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the situation, if I just started dating someone, I would probably dump them. We could think its shallow to do something like that, but what's the point in making your happiness go down the drain, just too make them happy. If she wasn't going to be happy with him anymore, then she has do , what she has do. Its a horrible position for anyone to be put in or face. Sometimes in life, you have too think of yourself. you can't expect her too sacrifice her own happiness just for him, even though his face badly disfigured in the accident, and it was not his fault, unfortunately life is horrible cruel. That's life.

I am sure your friend is a good person, but sometimes you have too be cruel to be kind for yourself and for the other person. I feel sorry for both of them, they are both put in difficult positions.. I quiet sure she didn't want to do it, but she has think of own long term happiness.

we can quiet easily judge or criticize what someone else does in certain situations, but the thing you have ask yourself honestly, could do the same or opposite thing as them? Its easy to say we would do this and that, but how do yourself for sure? No one knows themselves that well to say or judge the other person on the position they currently facing.

The only time t anyone should judge others, is if you know yourself 100% well, that you would do that?. and 95% people just can't do it,

• to be truthful, I don't what I do in that situation. to say I would stay, I would be lying, to say I would leave her, I could be lying. because I am not faced with that situation. Our minds change instantly when something dramatically changes.

What Guys Said 6

• Thomas Paine was writing about freedom and our country, but these words still come to my mind here: "These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman..."

• She sound very Shallow, Karma has a funny way of returning the favor.

Me if that happened an I was in Love, and if she got into a car accident, an lost her hand or arm, I'd still be there for her as long as she loved me an didn't push me away from her life an her heart.

• If I was in love with her of course ide stay with her.

• depends how horrible she looks. if plastic surgery can fix her, I'm cashing out immediately - with pleasure.

otherwise I'd leave. I have a reputation to maintain. can't afford walking around with someone who's not hot.

• that is way you love a person for who they are and not just their looks because looks change

• I feel sorry for both your friend and her ex-boyfriend. It must be a terrible position to be in.

My moral view is that you shouldn't sacrifice yourself for someone else. Her ex must be upset, but would he really want her to stay with him just to make him happy? Only someone with no self-respect could want that.

That said, they were together for four years. By that point, I wouldn't feel just physical attraction. I'd feel deep love too. My love might even have been made deeper by the courage shown by my partner in getting through this tragedy. Also, she has a child to consider.

I probably wouldn't dump my partner of four years that I had a child with. I probably would dump someone I'd just started dating, but I'd feel terrible about it at the same time.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. She sounds like a shallow person. If she loved him for the person he is, she wouldn't have left him. That's just cold, and I would be mad at her, too.

• I'd like to say I would put appearances aside and stay with him out of pure love, but it's hard to say what I'd really do unless I was in the situation.

• I don't think I would dump someone simply because of scars or a disfigured face. But like you say, I've never been in that situation.

Maybe your friend was having problems with him prior to the relationship, or maybe the accident has changed him in others ways. As in, maybe he is very frustrated and depressed. I find it hard to believe she'd dump the father of her kid simply because of some physical changes.

• she said she just didn't feel physically attracted to him anymore, and it wasn't fair for her or him or their son to stay together but I disagree. But maybe it's a good thing. If they got married, she'd probably leave if the going got tough. I'd just hate to see what would happen if their son got in a similar situation.

• They weren't married, so she has a right to do as she pleases, as cold as that sounds. However, if they have a kid together, that changes things. I would find it difficult to live with someone who was really badly disfigured, but if it's so the kid has a father, that is now more important.

• yes... I would love if my mate did the same for me. I believe in Karma.

• so by your believe breaking up with someone is somehow unacceptable and mean?

• why? do you somehow owe her or him anything? do you owe to be in a relationship with someone?

• owe it to myself I guess, because he makes me happy and I could not live on without him...