What's the difference emotionally between dating and friendship?

Physical aspects like kissing, touching, sex etc. aside, what is the difference? What is it that makes the line between being good friends with someone and being in a romantic relationship with them?

And, if there is a difference, how can someone make the jump with someone they're dating if it still feels like "just friends" when they're together?

Most Helpful Guy

• Friendship is a sliding scale.

If I like you as a friend a little bit, I let you a little close. If I like you as a friend a lot, I let you very close.

Even with my closest friends , though, there is only so open and honest I will be - some things are just to personal to share with them.

In a committed relationship, the barrier is gone. I'm completely open and honest about my worst fears and my wildest dreams. All my darkest secrets are laid bare and i`m completely vulnerable. to me a relationship is an especially good friendship where all intamacy barriers have come down - emotionally as well as physically. That only happens when you are in love.

Getting to that point is a tall order, I know, which is why I'm choosy who I date. I only develop an interest in a woman when I'm already friends with her for a long time and know her quite well. Unusual for a man, I know, but I'm just not interested in going out and finding someone to rub genitals with.

This might seem like an overly romantic view to many, but I have actually been this way before and that's what I want again.

What Guys Said 2

• That's just it, there is no difference, but people think there is. A relationship is basically friends who are also sexually attracted to each other and do sexual things from intercourse down to holding hands.

The problem is most people don't view relationships that way. They seem them purely through a sexual lens, without considering the interpersonal aspect of a relationship. This means people date people who really aren't compatible at all, but they simply find them sexually attractive.

Vice verse, people assume there is a difference so once they become friends with someone, they don't feel a relationship can spring form it, since what they are feeling don't recognize as romantic chemistry. They simply see it as friendship and it stops there.

At least this is how guys feel about it. It seems that girls have way more classifications for people that seem to be based upon what type and what level of emotional attachment they have to the person.

• you and me let's talk for a second :P

• haha sure. I'll add you and you can send me a PM. I most likely won't be on here too much longer today, but if you send me a message, I can get back to you shortly. I'm on here quite a bit (as you probably assumed giving my rank).

• You can feel the "spark". I can't even explain it.

What Girls Said 4

• Chemistry, intimacy, the spark. It's not something you can really put your finger on or explain why - but you can tell when it's not there.

• I talk to my guy friends more and don't feel sexually attracted.

• Wait you talk to your guy friends more than your BF? Sounds to me that your Boyfriend really isn't compatible to you, you just simply find him attractive.

• A friend you will care for them but you won't feel that feeling that he/she may be the one. You care and will do such for them but won't go out of the way to break a rule for them. Dating you have a feeling that you want your physical attraction to connect with their body, soul and mind, hence why we are intimate.

• you just feel something more. also many people especially girls DON'T feel the physical desires and that's what's making him just a friend. if you don't feel a strong urge to do these physical things well you probably only like him as a friend.

• It the same for men and women actually. What you are implying is lovers is the same things as friends just with sexual attraction present. Guys are the same, we just find a much higher percentage of women attractive, or at least enough to be willing to have sex with.

• but then how come so many men want to have sex with their friend but not a relationship?