Do you think it is a good idea to date a childhood friend?

I hear mixed opinions on this for both sides, but I want to see what people on here think

• Yes its a good idea
  • No its not a good idea
  • It depends (explain)
And please explain why or why it isn't a good idea

Most Helpful Guy

• It can be a good idea, I mean, if you get along so well and know each other so well and there's love? Why not. That's pretty damn good I'd say. You already both know each others' pros and cons. And if you've been friends that long no doubt you've gone through some tiffs so clearly you can likely get through tiffs as more than friends. I don't see a problem. And if you only avoid it cause you're "Scared of losing the friendship" then man I really pity that friendship cause all you've done is proven you don't have faith in the other person or yourself or the friendship itself to get through a problem should you two break up at a later point.

There's no logical reason NOT to date a friend if you're interested in them and they feel similarly.

What Girls Said 6

• Assuming you're still close friends with them, then nope. I wouldn't want to jeopardise the friendship we have.

• ok so if they weren't as close anymore you might be open to it?

• Furthermore (damn character length), with a good friend, you already know the pros and cons about them. You know the type of person they really are. You know how their interests and hobbies line up with yours and likely have a good understanding of their more personal side as well. I don't see it as being quite the risk as others might claim.

• It's incredibly easy to say that, but more often than not its difficult, if not impossible, to maintain a friendship after you've been in a relation. I'm not speaking from experience, as I've never done it, but I've seen friends do it, and despite what great friends they were before dating, afterward its awkward and uncomfortable. *shrugs*

• I don't have any childood friends :D

• if you're really close then no, I don't think it's a good idea,

In my experience the friends you keep from childhood are the type that stick with you your entire life, they're irreplaceable, it'd be stupid to sabotage that for a 6 month fling or whatever.

• but what if it wasn't a 6 month fling you ended up marrying him?

• its not a good idea...i've tried it & have failed

• I've wondered this same thing. I don't know to be honest.

• If I'd grown to like them and they'd grown to like me, sure.

I think of them as siblings though, not prospects. But I guess anything could happen.

What Guys Said 3

• No, cause they know too much about you...so your girl doesn't have 2 discover anything new about you..

• Yeah, seems like a reasonable idea. As long as you have other friends to hangout with in-case the relationship goes south.

• Its risky, that's for sure. But lots of the best things in life are the riskiest.