Is it okay for a 17 year old to date a 14 year old? D:

So I met this guy at school. He seems pretty nice and likes talking to me. We will usually hang out and he'll play his guitar for me and stuff.I was getting use to him since we met and I kind of started to like him, but... I found out how old he is... :/

He's well built at least 6' and I'm pretty sure he is growing a mustache, but he is 14, turning 15 in April.

This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't 17 turning 18 in June! Is it even okay to date him, because I really want to. When he gave me a hug I felt a spark.

Most Helpful Girl

• I say go for it! He'll be 15 before you're 18. I know it's usually the other way around but if you are both into each other then 2 years and 9 months or so shouldn't be something to stand in the way.

What Guys Said 3

• It's too big an age difference at your ages. It's fine to be friendly with him, but he is young to be in a relationship; his parents, I'm sure would object, and probably yours as well.

• Honestly, my parents wouldn't mind... they may want me to wait, but they are 25 years apart -.- if wedecide to date I will talk to his parents myself. For now I'm going to wait and see how everything plays out. :)

• For the record I'd just like to say that the people that are pushing swag upon the world are way older than me. Lol I can't call them idiotic for capitalizing this, but I wish had thought of it :P

He did show me that he doesn't fall to peer pressure though. It involed drugs, and another pregnant 16 year old -.-

I would like to date him, but I'm just going to wait. Maybe I can better acquaint myself with is family too

• That's wise! His parents will NOT consent, you know that...l!

• It's really fine to date someone like him.

It seems that he also holds a lot of attraction for you. Better take your chances, rather than regretting things later on.

• I really want to date him, but I do worry about his age and if I'm like currupting youth somehow -.- If you were a 14 year old boy now and a girl almost 3 years older than you really liked you... how would you react?

• I would be fine by that.

• Okay, I'll see what happens. Thanks :)

• Depending on where you live there is a three year rule. Follow that with the parents permission and you are good. I advise you to not do anything sexual, because he is young... wait until he is 17 to go that far. You know, if you guys stay together.

If he looks like he is older no one should ask questions.

What Girls Said 4

• I wouldn't recommend it at this age, but when you are both older, it won't be an issue in the slightest. I'm in the same situation with the same age difference, and it's worse because he's a family friend, and if we show ANY attraction to one another, our families will never let it drop! I think he likes me, and all we can do is wait until he's 18 and see how we feel about each other then. It seems like it will take forever, but time goes by much faster than you think. You will have more crushes, and in a few years, it will be much easier to decide if you like this guy. (guys take longer to mature too...)

• Yeah, I'm just going to wait... I don't want to, but I know it's the right thing to do. Time will play it out :$

• The main thing you will need to do is make sure that his parents approve. If they decide it's not okay, they can sue you and you would be on a sex offender's list even if you did nothing wrong because you will legally be considered an adult. If you two really feel something, go for it but be respectful of his parents' wishes.

• You wouldn't be on the sex offenders list if you're just dating each other, you would if you had sex though.

• @ both of you: Well, I'm not interested in having sex until marriage :D he would ge more as a coming of age thing.

@ amorelerose: I understand I'll make sure it will be okay with his parents if we do decide to. I don't really think I'll have to tell them my age if I meet them though... everyone just assumes that I am 15.

• I understand and admire the fact that you want to wait, however, it's their word against yours. That's the main problem. And if you lie to them about your age, it's just bad. It is better to come clean and let them know that you like their son even through the age difference. Don't let them assume, it could really upset them when they find out the truth.

• I wouldn't do it. It's a risky because you're almost an adult and he's a child and will remain that way for quite some time. If you ended up having a physical relationship and someone found out you'd be charged with sexual offences and you'll be put on the sex offenders list for life...no relationship is worth that. It's fine to be friends with him but keep the realtionship stuff to when you're both adults and are on a level playing field.

• I think I'll just wait and see how the next few months play out. There is a 3 year rule and as long as we are not having sex I should be fine in the eyes of the law. I don't want to have sex with him, because I understand that he is too young for that! It can wait :)

• I know you're going into this thinking you can both wait and that's awesome, however, it is difficult to maintain that; it's very easy to get yourself into situations where they could escalate to sex, even if you're just haging out with him at home and you lose yourself in a moment. It's still incredibly risky.

• No