How much older than your age would you date?

Simple question: How much older than your age would you date and why?

I think I would stick to under 10 years older than me, and even that is pushing it. If he was 5-10 older, I'd probably be extra cautious, so the guy would have to be pretty special for me to date him if he's that much older than I am.

Most Helpful Guy

• While there's no guarantee that any relationship will be successful, I think our decisions in the type of mate we choose can determine if it will be successful or not. Of course, even if we choose a mate chose to our own age group doesn't mean that the relationship will survive but I feel in doing so will increase the chances.

I have read the thread and while the guy who states guys much older have benefits of more financial stability, more faithful, but there are some older guys who do cheat as well. Also he forgot to mention that many of these older guys tend to have major control issues, can be manipulative and in some cases will try to isolate the younger girl for fear that she may be unfaithful with guys closer to her age. In terms of maturity, I really don't think there is a magic age to guarantee that someone will be mature. Granted odds will be in the much older guys favor, but I have met people in their 30's who carried themselves in a more mature fashion than guys in their 50's. In my opinion, maturity is more of a character issue than a rite of passage where it's automatic once someone reaches a certain age.

I also believe that the best chance for a relationship to flourish is if both parties share many common interests. That is in addition to a mutual attraction, ability to communicate and compassion towards one another.

This is subjective and everyone will have their own age ranges based on how they feel it best suits them, but for all intents and purposes I personally have a threshold of about 10 years. Generally I feel that anything beyond that would begin to push into different peer groups beyond that of my own and thus create a larger potential for incompatibility. Not to say that there's never an exception to the rule, because there sometimes is, but generally these exceptions come too few and far in between.

I know others will defend as much as a 20 year age gap, which for me would be a bit of a strain and I really don't see what couples with a 30 or 40 year age gap would have in common at all. While there are instances where these couples do exist, generally they don't last.

What Guys Said 20

• The different between you and me is you date with expectations.

Age is irreverent provided all legalities are met. My current girlfriend is 6yrs older then me. My ex was 10 years older then me. The biggest gap I've had was 18 and 43.

• 5 years at the most. Any more than that and they are a different technological and societal generation apart. Also, as of current I couldn't date someone who is 30. That just sounds too old to date to me right now

• Maybe 2 or 3 years tops.

• idk preferably not older at all. maybe a couple years if she was really cool

• Probably 4-5 years older would be the limit at this point.

• age is just a number if I match and happy with anyone I'm in :D

• I could go 15 or so years older (I am 19). I wouldn't go much older than that because I want kids one day.

• 5 years.

• 9 years younger then me. That's still pushing it. So between 7-9 years younger

• A lot of people think if 2 people really love each other it doesn't matter...that being said, I think anything past 8 years is getting on the weird side

• Maybe five years older.

• I could go up to 20 years older.

• 20 years or so.

• 8 ha ha I don't know why but I think 9 or above would be too much for someone older...

• It depends on the people, but a mature girl in her early 20s is often way too grown up for guys her own age and needs to be with guys in their late 20s up to mid 30s from my experience. It totally depends on the two people though of course. On the other side, when women get in their 30s and 40s they can become way less mature and need to date guys a decade or more younger which I have done and it was great, ha ha. So it really just kinda depends on the people involved.

• I didn't care about age until I got rejected by an older girl. So, I try to stick to younger girls.

• I would prefer a younger girl, but maybe one or 2 years older. If I go higher they'll be wanting babies on the first date

• Maybe one year older if she was really special but I prefer younger

• age brings some problems to a relationship, but not as many as irresponsible young men.

id say 10-12 years is the upper limit. 19 dating a 30 year old is OK for sure

• You would have to be pretty cautious? Guys your age are more likely to cheat, act childish, be irresponsible, have less money, take more risks and not be loyal. An older guy would be more reliable, loyal and responsible. I would date older and don;t care about age

• Those things are all true for a good older guy. I was thinking of the many that would just be looking to take advantage of or just use a younger lady. I'd like to avoid guys my age for the reasons you said too.

• Arguing online is the epitome of maturity. Oh boy.

• Insults? Really? Isn't that your "MO" to insult people so you impress your fellow gag users or I am hallucinating? About half your answer and or comments are either insulting or trolling no? You forget all your posts on gag and you forget your user name? If you are turning a new leaf then say so.

What Girls Said 20

• I'm 19, and I'd say 30. It's not like it's set in stone and I would never date a guy older, but more than that is not my preference.

I tend to date guys my age or within 5 years though. Has more to do with the demographics of the places I spend most of my time than anything else.

• I think the oldest person who asked me out was about 10 years older than me. He was really sweet and an amazing guy but I didn't like him that way. If I had liked him I would be extremely cautious but I think I would have said yes. It really depends on the person and how they are. For me, the average guy that asks me out are at least 5 years older than me. So I'm used to the idea. I feel that after college it doesn't matter as much as long as you both are on the same maturity level. So I guess 5-10 years older.

• I'd not go over a 25 year age gap...yes, love is limitless, but beyond that range I'd be worried about getting left behind for too many years when my partner passes away.

• Around 10 years.

• Under 10 is my preference. I wouldn't be completely opposed to older than that. It's not the actual numbers that matter; it's more about the stage of life you're in.

• I'm 19, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable having a boyfriend over the age of 22 to be honest. I feel like a guy who was any older wouldn't take me seriously.

• 15 years max.

Most guys around my age are not at the same maturity level as me, and many refuse to work or peel away from their computers. I don't date younger guys or guys my age anymore; too many bad experiences.

• Well I'm 18 and I honestly would like to keep it under 21. I feel like too much beyond that and we are at way different stages in our lives.

• I would say someone probably 10-16 years older. The guy I have a crush on now is 13 years older than me.

• I'm 19 at the moment, but quite a few of men I've liked in the past have been 10-15 years older than me. That would probably be my personal limit, considering any higher and they'll be get closer to my parents' age ha ha :D

• 10 years

• Age is just a number but I Wouldn't go older than 50.

• I'm 18, and the oldest I would date would be 2-3 years older than I am...I like staying in my age range.

• I would do like 8 years younger and up to 10 years older :)

• around 10 years older.

• As someone who has never dated older, I find it hard to imagine...however, I think I could do one or two years older. Maybe.

• I'm almost 27, I'd date a man that was 45 probably.

• 4 years at the most I think

• 5-8 years gap.

• At my age (I'm 20) I'd say maybe 5-6 years tops. I could see myself dating older in the future, but right now I'd rather stick to that.