Guys and girls 25+ Would you date someone who lives with their parents?

This is a question for anyone 25+ mainly. Would you date another person living with their parents and why?

There is no real motive for the question. Just gathering opinions.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am currently 'dating' a guy who lives with his parents... he feels he can't have a true relationship with me because he is living with his parents. I told him I don't care but I guess it emasculates men. Is that where you were going with this question?

• hmmmm, a mind reader huh? :D *thumbs up*

• i agree with your man...the thing is that we're grown men and it does feel like high school all over again knowing that your parents are in the other room, etc. so yea...it can feel a bit emasculating/embarrassing/'loser-ish'. Oh, and don't forget about the lack of privacy unless you can tell the parents to scram for a few hours in their own home...

But that is an awesome answer! You're very reasonable! :)

• Exactly how I feel. It would be like highschool. There's something to be said as well with an independent guy.

What Girls Said 12

• Depends why they live at home. If they live there to help support the family by contributing to bills/paying rent/ etc then it's fine. If they live at home because they're going to school and can't afford to pay for education plus everyday bills that's reasonable too.

If they live at home because they're lazy, have no ambition, and/or waste all their income on bad habits (drugs, alcohol, shopaholics, etc) then no I would not date them.

• In this economy, yea probably, because it's understandable...if he was munching off them and not pulling his own weight that would be an entirely different story though.

• it depends on other aspects of his personality. As long as he's not a lazy ass loser, it doesn't matter to me that he lives with hsi parents.

it could also tell me that he has a good relationship with his parents and respects them, which is a good thing.

• Of course. Shit happens and sometimes we need help getting back on our feet, sometimes that helps is moving back in with our parents until we get another decent paying job or build our finances again after losing everything in a divorce.

If the guy is just a mooch, then no because chances are he will try to mooch off of me too but I assume we are not talking about someone like that.

• Yes, if they were otherwise hardworking and have fallen on bad economic times. But I'm 22 and still dependent on my parents for college and now grad school, soo...

• it all depends on why he's still living with them if he's trying to get on his feet and figure things out then yea but if he is just lazy and don't want to hve responabilities thn no.

• No.

As soon as you're out of college, it's time to move out, buddy.

And if you're 25 and still not in college AND not moved out... there's probably a problem.

• And at that point even economy is no excuse for me. Tons of people cling on by their teeth, but they would rather struggle and flight and let the storms of life tear them apart than to crawl back to their parents. Besides, most average parents of 25 year-olds are 45 - 65 years old. It's almost despicable to expect your parents to spend the last of their good years wiping your ass.

• I don't mind, I mean its the guy you fall for, there could be a number of reasons why he's living with his parents still, most I hear is theyve split from an ex girlfriend they lived with and don't want to rent as its 'dead money' so are saving, if theyre living there cos theyre a big mummys boy, well that's the only reason I wouldn't want to date them, mummys little soldiers put me off big time!

• I don't see why this could be an issue

• No. I have no desire for a boyfriend to hang out at my place all the time. He def needs to have his own place!

• Yes I would. Only if he was motivated and had a job etc. If he did not have a job or car and played video games all day...no.

• If I really liked him I wouldn't care, he could come to my apt and hang out.

• Only if he was living with them because he was helping them or taking care of them. Otherwise, no. I tried before and it was ridiculously difficult and awkward. Never again.

What Guys Said 14

• At my age, my parents are in their mid-60s and must seriously consider their health in the very near future. I can't take care of them if I live hundreds or thousands of miles away. Home care nurses and retirement homes are ridiculously expensive and questionable quality. Even though I may not have them live with me, there is a chance they will live close by. If a mature woman has a problem with me looking after my aging parents be it in my own home, then she is not mature. I guarantee many women would expect their men to take care of their parents right? Why not his as well?

I have met many people in my life. I have seen many Asian families with grandparents inside their homes and think nothing of it. But in the western world, not so favorable. Just how it is.

• I have read a lot of people online in a similar situation and it makes me wonder if a girl would really "turn down" a guy for caring about their family members over some silly "independence" game.

• Yup...doesn't bother me. I'm Asian and culturally, the sons/daughters don't leave the flock til they're married or in a serious relationship. There's no shame really, financially its smart depending on where you live (save $$$ for a home) and hopefully your parents or her parents won't drive either you of nuts with the nagging, lecturing, crazy-parent talk, etc.

For me, I would love to move out for more privacy/freedom/independence but living by yourself in Vancouver is ridiculously expensive for a dinky condo (or a crackshack home) plus expenses (unless you wanna feel very very poor...). Secondly, I'm raised by a single mom and she doesn't work anymore so I gotta take care of all the bills and finances (again...expensive)

• Yes, I would go out with those kind of people.

Living with their parents is not a big deal breaker for me.

• yup I don't judge people like that

• Yes, as long as she was not being treated like a little kid like some parents do when they can't let their children grow up, then the parents will just always be interfering. Happened to one Italian girl I liked, her parents were a barrier of humongous proportions and without sneaking out to see me nothing could happen I loved her heaps but it just never would have worked out with them in the picture. But that is not always the case and beautiful relationships can happen with someone who still lives at home.

• I'm under 25, but actually, before the 1990's, it was very normal to be 25 to 30 and live with your parents, as long as you worked and contributed something to the family. The idea of moving out when you're 21, going out to the city and being a yuppie is a new invention.

But there is a distinction.

I knew a guy who was 26, living with his mom, didn't go to college, didn't work in literally 10 years and just stays home playing video games all day. That's unacceptable.

But guys who actually work (or are at least putting a lot of effort into finding a job) are different.

• yes I don't see an issue with that., but that might have to do with the fact tha I am Spanish, and we tend to stay at home longer than most other ethnicities.

• Im 30 and male. It really depends on the context as others have mentioned. I think as a guy its more acceptable to date a girl who still lives at home rather then the other way around...because girls usually want a guy who has something going on in his life aren't shlubbs lol.

• yea, I wouldn't mind. now a days I see people in there 30s still living with their parents

• Answer: yes, because being able to live with your real family shows that you're not a blood-traitor that hates themselves. Though if for instance you live with a "parent" who is not your actual parent, then it's okay to not live with them.

• I most likely WOULD.

• of course, I'm a guy

• it don't really matter...

in todays world, I would actually say that it is not a bad thing. it could mean a number of things. if I met a girl that was living with her parents, she could be helping them out, saving up money, in between jobs, etc.

it all depends on the context of the situation. do I want to date a girl that plans on living there for the next 5 years? no, she should be planning on moving on with her life unless she has a good reason.

• yup, because I don't judge people based on trivial things